Is this the beginning of the end for Mark Stoops?

HT721

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what effect this has on him. It's not his fault kids get out here and do the stupid and immature things they do. He's not telling them, "Hey go out here, do this and do that"

As for recruiting, if your a kid who has offers from Alabama, Michigan, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc. etc., you have to consider, what you would want more? to play for a national championship or play in front of friends and family?

If he leaves it's on his own...

I don't see what effect this has on him. It's not his fault kids get out here and do the stupid and immature things they do. He's not telling them, "Hey go out here, do this and do that"

As for recruiting, if your a kid who has offers from Alabama, Michigan, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc. etc., you have to consider, what you would want more? to play for a national championship or play in front of friends and family?

If he leaves it's on his own...

I by no means think it means he's gone tomorrow, the road to bowl eligibility and keeping the fans happy is getting harder for him.

I by no means think it means he's gone tomorrow, the road to bowl eligibility and keeping the fans happy is getting harder for him.

He's fine. He beat South Carolina in just his second year, that's the second time in Kentucky history that they've beaten Steve Spurrier. He got 5 wins last season. He isn't going anywhere unless he leaves on his own

My answer would be I don't know and that statement alone raises an eye-brow. All come down to winning. He has brought some better talent to UK but that comes with off the field issues. That happens at a lot of places and can be forgotten if the product on the field is winning. Next year will be a critical year for Stoops. They are in must go to a bowl game mode.

I don't know if you could make that assessment just yet. If they struggle this season you might be able to look back at this, but I still think that would be a stretch.

I'm not really concerned with this class as long as next years is back to what we know it can be. You can survive a down year in recruiting, especially behind a really good class. The key is to not have a bad one next year, but it's already off to a pretty good start.

No way. Even if it were something that were causing concern, there are two huge issues:

#1.) The product on the field is still there in terms of what he had when he came in, what he's done, the direction they're headed in... until that changes drastically, this isn't a big deal, at least we're losing guys who are getting flipped instead of not even being in the race for them at all. Winning cures a lot of things. The train wreck that was Joker's tenure is still fresh enough in EVERY realistic fan's mind for them to know that we could be doing much worse.

AND:

#2.) IF Stoops is fired at the end of the season, who on Earth do they think they could get to come in and take over? Love my university, but let's be real, UK isn't exactly a destination job. That's an even tougher sell when they've just fired a guy who came in and did relatively well considering. The fact that they seem to be investing in the program with repairs & upgrades to the stadium, getting more money for Morrow to stay on board, all that, it'd be kind of a rush to judgment to just up and axe Stoops unless there's way more than this that comes out. If Urban Meyer or Nick Saban decide they want to come to Kentucky, then maybe they use this as a way to wage a PR war against Stoops and get in the proven guy that everyone wants without looking as bad, but a.) it's not like you look awful to fire Stoops for Saban or Meyer and b.) why in the hell would Saban or Meyer decide they want to come to UK?

I don't know if you could make that assessment just yet. If they struggle this season you might be able to look back at this, but I still think that would be a stretch.

I'm not really concerned with this class as long as next years is back to what we know it can be. You can survive a down year in recruiting, especially behind a really good class. The key is to not have a bad one next year, but it's already off to a pretty good start.

That lack of depth is what's killing Kentucky the first class doesn't change things it's the second and third classes that make a huge difference.

No way. Even if it were something that were causing concern, there are two huge issues:

#1.) The product on the field is still there in terms of what he had when he came in, what he's done, the direction they're headed in... until that changes drastically, this isn't a big deal, at least we're losing guys who are getting flipped instead of not even being in the race for them at all. Winning cures a lot of things. The train wreck that was Joker's tenure is still fresh enough in EVERY realistic fan's mind for them to know that we could be doing much worse.

AND:

#2.) IF Stoops is fired at the end of the season, who on Earth do they think they could get to come in and take over? Love my university, but let's be real, UK isn't exactly a destination job. That's an even tougher sell when they've just fired a guy who came in and did relatively well considering. The fact that they seem to be investing in the program with repairs & upgrades to the stadium, getting more money for Morrow to stay on board, all that, it'd be kind of a rush to judgment to just up and axe Stoops unless there's way more than this that comes out. If Urban Meyer or Nick Saban decide they want to come to Kentucky, then maybe they use this as a way to wage a PR war against Stoops and get in the proven guy that everyone wants without looking as bad, but a.) it's not like you look awful to fire Stoops for Saban or Meyer and b.) why in the hell would Saban or Meyer decide they want to come to UK?

I don't see him fired after next year, but I don't see him being able to rise them anymore barring some major changes.