How many false champions did we crown under the BCS system?

HoopsLady

Not advocating for anything. Just saying that the best team of a college basketball season not always wins the single elimination tournament at the end. UConn and UK were nowhere near the two best teams last season. Pretty common knowledge. Not taking anything away from them, it is just the system we go by.

The table system is the only true way to award a true champion for playing at the highest level through an entire season. Every team plays every other team. Team with the best result after all games is the season's champion. There are simply too many teams for it to work.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong by about 40 points in every prediction thread and they still can't just let it go and accept the fact that OSU won it all. They will continue to find a way to discount it and Urb will continue pulling the strings...

No offense, but you seem to be the one who cannot let it go. You are reading WAAAAAY more in to this than it deserves. I am restating a position I have held for years. 0 to do with tOSU winning the title or my UK football fandom (which does not exist since I am not one).

The table system is the only true way to award a true champion for playing at the highest level through an entire season. Every team plays every other team. Team with the best result after all games is the season's champion. There are simply too many teams for it to work.

No doubt. You know where I am coming from though. You and I are both staunch advocates for ties, so it makes sense we get this :D

Wrong by about 40 points in every prediction thread and they still can't just let it go and accept the fact that OSU won it all. They will continue to find a way to discount it and Urb will continue pulling the strings...

Are you and Urb boys now? :lol2:

Just kidding. Seriously, I think a sport as great as college football deserves a true playoff. It has nothing to do with OSU, SEC, Boise State or anything else. The previous system was completely silly. The 4-team playoff is an obvious improvement. I personally think 8 teams would be even better.

:lol2: Wireman, I like you, really do but I think that you are still on your meltdown after OSU Proved they were the best team in the country. "we still didn't crown a true champion', Really ?? I think that "we still haven't crowned a champion that Wireman is o.k. with" is what this is. As a former Buckeye, NFL - hof member C. Carter sys ...."C'mon man". You're better than this.

I went back to check and yep, OSU Won, it's over until next season.

Oldrambler I have a question. Say OSU didn't overtake TCU for the 4th seed and gets left out. Then TCU goes on and does the exact same thing OSU did and wins the Championship. Would that have made TCU the true Champion, even though we got to see it on the field that OSU was better than people thought? I mean there really wasn't anything OSU did in the regular season that you can say definitely showed they deserved it more than TCU. Opinions put OSU in the playoffs, opinions could have easily decided OSU to be left out and TCU being in it. TCU did deserve the right to prove it on the field just like OSU got the chance to.

Now IMO I think OSU would have beat them too, because OSU is playing great. However that would just be my opinion. TCU deserved the right from the regular season play to get a chance to prove it on the field just like OSU. So OSU is more of a true Champion than we probably ever had in college football, which is a step in the right direction though.

Oldrambler I have a question. Say OSU didn't overtake TCU for the 4th seed and gets left out. Then TCU goes on and does the exact same thing OSU did and wins the Championship. Would that have made TCU the true Champion' date=' even though we got to see it on the field that OSU was better than people thought? I mean there really wasn't anything OSU did in the regular season that you can say definitely showed they deserved it more than TCU. Opinions put OSU in the playoffs, opinions could have easily decided OSU to be left out and TCU being in it. TCU did deserve the right to prove it on the field just like OSU got the chance to. Now IMO I think OSU would have beat them too, because OSU is playing great. However that would just be my opinion. TCU deserved the right from the regular season play to get a chance to prove it on the field just like OSU. So OSU is more of a true Champion than we probably ever had in college football, which is a step in the right direction though.[/quote']

The committee and their opinions also showed why their smarter than all who had OSU out. I'll go with the committee who got it right and who looks really smart today.

Committee 1

95% of everyone else 0

Edited by John Anthony

Only one and that was Florida State.

Get the heck out of here. Both years FSU won the title they're bulletproof for arguments. Not the least of which is that they were the only undefeated team left standing in each year. In the 1999 title game they beat the only other undefeated team there was, and went wire to wire for the title. 2013 was historic dominance and really only Auburn came anywhere near a win (their 14 point win at Boston College was only other game even within 4 scores).

You can't definitively say that OSU would beat TCU though. We'll never know. OSU was the best team under the format we currently have but there's no way to say they would have won against TCU, Michigan State or Baylor.

That's all I'm saying. I've accepted the fact that the title is tainted for just under 12 more months. Smh.

I will play along just to give an example of why your reasoning has nothing to do with anything. You said that I couldn't say that OSU would have beaten TCU. O.K., You Wireman, can't say that TCU would had beaten OSU. The reason that I or anyone else can't say that OSU would have beaten TCU is pretty dang simple ...They didn't play them! TCU wasn't in the playoff and regardless of what anyone thinks, that's the fact. The current / initial college fotball playoffs were what everyone wanted. They were set up as they were, the 12 person voting on rankings through the season leading to the four teams chosen for the playoff. The new / current playoff system may or may not change after a few years, I don't know. Should it change or expand then that will be the format. So again, The Reason, plain and simple ..... TCU Wasn't in the Playoffs and regardless if you, I or others think that they should have been doen' change it.....Geez ! Understand ?

We have heard all of the "If this" "they coulda', shoulda'", "what if's" ....None of that Matters.

Ohio State beat Alabama and Oregon convincingly - Ohio State is the undisputed National Champion. That is the Fact regardless of what anyone thinks that it should be. End of Story.

In my way too early opinion we will see OSU in the National Playoffs again in 2015. So now I guess all of the OSU hater union will converge to discredit them as in every season. Haters gonna hate, Buckeyes don't seem to care. :D

I am done until the pre season college football 2015 posts ......:walk:

Edited by oldrambler

Boy this thread morphed away from the title. So to answer, here are some thoughts:

BYU would have never been champion.

Not sure Miami would have won it in '83, Nebraska, Texas n Auburn all could have had a sot in a tourney.

Don't think Notre Dame was best in '77. Alabama was.

I think BCS got more right than wrong but this system was much better IMO

I will play along just to give an example of why your reasoning has nothing to do with anything. You said that I couldn't say that OSU would have beaten TCU. O.K., You Wireman, can't say that TCU would had beaten OSU. The reason that I or anyone else can't say that OSU would have beaten TCU is pretty dang simple ...They didn't play them! TCU wasn't in the playoff and regardless of what anyone thinks, that's the fact. The current / initial college fotball playoffs were what everyone wanted. They were set up as they were, the 12 person voting on rankings through the season leading to the four teams chosen for the playoff. The new / current playoff system may or may not change after a few years, I don't know. Should it change or expand then that will be the format. So again, The Reason, plain and simple ..... TCU Wasn't in the Playoffs and regardless if you, I or others think that they should have been doen' change it.....Geez ! Understand ?

We have heard all of the "If this" "they coulda', shoulda'", "what if's" ....None of that Matters.

Ohio State beat Alabama and Oregon convincingly - Ohio State is the undisputed National Champion. That is the Fact regardless of what anyone thinks that it should be. End of Story.

In my way too early opinion we will see OSU in the National Playoffs again in 2015. So now I guess all of the OSU hater union will converge to discredit them as in every season. Haters gonna hate, Buckeyes don't seem to care. :D

I am done until the pre season college football 2015 posts ......:walk:

I rest my case.

Boy this thread morphed away from the title. So to answer' date=' here are some thoughts: BYU would have never been champion. Not sure Miami would have won it in '83, Nebraska, Texas n Auburn all could have had a sot in a tourney. Don't think Notre Dame was best in '77. Alabama was. I think BCS got more right than wrong but this system was much better IMO[/quote']

Thank you sir for putting this to rest. Of course, if Bama or Oregon won this thread is never created.

Edited by John Anthony

Thank you sir for putting this to rest. Of course, if Bama or Oregon won this thread is never created.

Mostly agreed. I think if either Alabama or Florida State had won it you'd have not seen it since that's estimated to be who would've played in the old BCS. With Oregon, you may still have seen some grumbling about it, but not as much since they were considered to be one of the two best entering. It's because it was Ohio State, the #4 team in the playoff and one that likely had no shot at getting in under the old system, that you are seeing this come up.