How many false champions did we crown under the BCS system?

HoopsLady

I Dont think any team would have beat OSU the way they are playing. However just like how OSU got the chance to prove it in the field. TCU also deserved that chance just as much as OSU. So the way college football crowns a champ is still not all the way right. However it is a lot better now than it was before. If it goes to at least 6 or 8 at most then it will be just about perfect IMO.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio State wasn’t the best team in the nation at the start of the season, or at most points thereafter: Prior to leapfrogging TCU at the 11th hour for the fourth and final playoff spot, the Buckeyes hadn’t cracked the top four in the AP or playoff committee polls all season. But the Bucks were certainly the best at the end, by a wide and indisputable margin.

“They got stronger and stronger and stronger,” Meyer said, sounding slightly stunned himself as he contemplated his team’s trajectory in full.

“From Game 1 to Game 15, I’ve never seen anything like it.”​ -Grantland

How many times has a VA-TECH type loss in the beginning of the year have eliminated great teams from consideration? How many times has a Florida State type team with a great W/L record against marginal competition with marginal play received a bid to a title game?

No more than once. With the exception of the year they lost to Miami(2000 vs. Oklahoma) when FSU has been in the title game they have deserved it. Let's not act like they have been to the title game every season. Every time FSU has been in the title game they have fielded high quality teams.

No more than once. With the exception of the year they lost to Miami(2000 vs. Oklahoma) when FSU has been in the title game they have deserved it. Let's not act like they have been to the title game every season. Every time FSU has been in the title game they have fielded high quality teams.

I was not referring to FS specifically, only those teams that had a year like this years FS team.

As some posters have alluded to already, crowning a champion via a tournament is different than crowning a champion based upon the body of work for an entire season.

In basketball, I don't think any reasonable person would say that UConn and UK were the 2 best teams in college basketball for the 2013-2014 season, and yet UConn and UK advanced to the tournament championship game.

There's been a few since the BCS started, namely an undefeated Auburn team being left out in 2004. I'm not saying they would have won it that year, but it would have been nice to have had a playoff to have seen if it would have happened.

The worst injustices were in the pre-BCS days when the final verdict was left up to a sometimes biased national media. There's more than a few schools that won national championships back in those days due to the name on their uniform. I'm sure both Michigan State and Alabama feel they were slighted in 1966.

Also, I wonder if BYU could have won the 1984 national title with a playoff system similar to the one now in place.

We still didn't crown a true champion even this season. The No. 3 team didn't even make the final 4 playoff. I think it has to be 8 at least to get a true champion. 16 would be even better but I know that'll never happen.

I agree with this. They'll have to eventually expand the playoffs, I don't see how they can avoid it.

We still didn't crown a true champion even this season. The No. 3 team didn't even make the final 4 playoff. I think it has to be 8 at least to get a true champion. 16 would be even better but I know that'll never happen.

Agree with the bolded. That would totally put to rest that any team in the playoffs shouldn't be there, and that a team got lucky to beat somebody to win the NC. You would have to play and beat many quality opponents to get to the championship game.

:lol2: Wireman, I like you, really do but I think that you are still on your meltdown after OSU Proved they were the best team in the country. "we still didn't crown a true champion', Really ?? I think that "we still haven't crowned a champion that Wireman is o.k. with" is what this is. As a former Buckeye, NFL - hof member C. Carter sys ...."C'mon man". You're better than this.

I went back to check and yep, OSU Won, it's over until next season.

:lol2: Wireman, I like you, really do but I think that you are still on your meltdown after OSU Proved they were the best team in the country. "we still didn't crown a true champion', Really ?? I think that "we still haven't crowned a champion that Wireman is o.k. with" is what this is. As a former Buckeye, NFL - hof member C. Carter sys ...."C'mon man". You're better than this.

I went back to check and yep, OSU Won, it's over until next season.

You can't definitively say that OSU would beat TCU though. We'll never know. OSU was the best team under the format we currently have but there's no way to say they would have won against TCU, Michigan State or Baylor.

That's all I'm saying. I've accepted the fact that the title is tainted for just under 12 more months. Smh.