Is it a violation of any KHSAA rule to use an air horn at a high school football game

theguru

The only problem is making specific rules e.g. "air horns" is what if I buy or make something that looks just like an air horn but it is called a "cannon horn" and it runs off a battery and not air? The more specific you get the easier to get around. Ban "milk jugs with pennies" and someone uses "Sunny D jugs with buttons".

What game was it where the Visiting team band would not play until the Home team got to the line of scrimmage and there was so much debate about it?

The only problem is making specific rules e.g. "air horns" is what if I buy or make something that looks just like an air horn but it is called a "cannon horn" and it runs off a battery and not air? The more specific you get the easier to get around. Ban "milk jugs with pennies" and someone uses "Sunny D jugs with buttons".

What game was it where the Visiting team band would not play until the Home team got to the line of scrimmage and there was so much debate about it?

I mentioned this in post #15. Legal definitions do this sometimes:

The rule could give the obvious examples of an air horn and a cow bell as part of an included but not limited to clause.

I mentioned this in post #15. Legal definitions do this sometimes:

The rule could give the obvious examples of an air horn and a cow bell as part of an included but not limited to clause.

I would agree with that but I would still make it as broad as possible and then included the clause.

I still keep coming back to the "during live play" wording and I wonder if those things are always against the rules or are they ok during dead ball periods.

I agree, we still don't have an answer. I blame Clyde at this point.

• 11 months later...
Two different animals (sports) but while announcing soccer games this season and postseason I had to read the following: "The KHSAA mandates that there be no use of artificial noisemakers, confetti, signs or banners during tonight's contest."

An air horn would fall under artificial noisemakers IMO. But like I said, two different animals as soccer is pretty much all continuous play while football is not.

Just wanted to put it out there for interpretation.

Looked for this rule but could not find it.

Also what is the punishment?

If a Coach told an official that cowbells and airhorns were disrupting his playcalling... and an announcement was made...and after the announcement the cowbells continued could a penalty be called for unsportsmanlike conduct on the opposing bench?

Interesting.

What is the ruling on playing music over the public address system? Is a milk jug mechanical? Cowbells? And the Beechwood mechanical bullhorn is definitely out, right?

I'm not sure, as the rule says "shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals." I am sure that those little bullhorns are not prohibiting anyone on the field from hearing it's signals.