Is it a violation of any KHSAA rule to use an air horn at a high school football game

theguru

I disagree, an air horn is very specific and a rule shouldn't be so vague in a case like this. The rule could give the obvious examples of an air horn and a cow bell as part of an included but not limited to clause.

In the reading I did online it seems a few states have been very specific in their wording. Air horns banned.

This is from the same handbook in the Basketball Competition Rules:

C) Music/Sound Effects/Artificial Noisemakers

1) Per NFHS Rule 1-18, the playing of music/sound effects shall

only be permitted during the pregame, time-outs, intermission

and postgame. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be

prohibited, to include but not be limited to any mechanical

device manufactured to create noise and multiple objects which

together make noise. Such prohibition shall include the use of

equipment such as megaphones when used by anyone of than a

cheerleader and for any other purpose than voice amplification.

2) Megaphones are allowed to be used by cheerleaders as long

as they are used in the traditional sense. Megaphones are not

to be used to bang against the floor or wall to incite crowds

or intimidate players. Megaphones may not be used by fans as

noisemakers.

In another thread Hardin County Preps posted the following:

I am a passionate fan for the game of football and am trying to bring some spirit and passion to the Central Hardin fan base but recently had a negative experience. I attended the Meade/ Central Game and used an airhorn to try and get this fan base motivated. While I beleive this is a harmless way to incite the fan base, I was told by school personnel that it was a violation of KHSAA rules to use it. I have used this airhorn for years at John Hardin games without any incident. I have been unable to find any guidance on this matter on the KHSAA website and was wondering if somebody had some guidance on this matter

It should be - as should the ridiculous bullhorn complete with sirens etc that the Beechwood student have started to use. I say started, because I honestly don't remember hearing this last year or year prior.

Go old school with the big megaphones or nothing else. The electronic and mechanical noisemakers shouldn't be allowed.

This is from the same handbook in the Basketball Competition Rules:

C) Music/Sound Effects/Artificial Noisemakers

1) Per NFHS Rule 1-18, the playing of music/sound effects shall

only be permitted during the pregame, time-outs, intermission

and postgame. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be

prohibited, to include but not be limited to any mechanical

device manufactured to create noise and multiple objects which

together make noise. Such prohibition shall include the use of

equipment such as megaphones when used by anyone of than a

cheerleader and for any other purpose than voice amplification.

2) Megaphones are allowed to be used by cheerleaders as long

as they are used in the traditional sense. Megaphones are not

to be used to bang against the floor or wall to incite crowds

or intimidate players. Megaphones may not be used by fans as

noisemakers.

Is there a typo in that? And is specifically talks about fans and the other doesn't.

I think it all depends on the school. Some schools announce they are not allowed before the game. Other schools don't care.

I think individual schools have a right to ban them but in this case the KHSAA was cited as the reason why and that is the question.

I disagree, an air horn is very specific and a rule shouldn't be so vague in a case like this. The rule could give the obvious examples of an air horn and a cow bell as part of an included but not limited to clause.

I agree that the rule should be specific - but it isn't. So how do we interpret the rule as written? In the law in the absence of specificity, judges look to the intent of the law when written. I think it is clear what the intent is. They don't want artificial noise interfering with play.

I am sure you will get yelled at if you blow it during a play. I don't think they care after a big play or touchdown.

At JH, the fans only blow the airhorns after we have scored a TD. I don't believe I have ever heard them during any other time during a game.

I think individual schools have a right to ban them but in this case the KHSAA was cited as the reason why and that is the question.

I am sure the KHSAA left it intentionally vague and up to the discretion of the individual schools.