Is it a violation of any KHSAA rule to use an air horn at a high school football game

theguru

Isn't that kind of the point of fans cheering and making noise on defense? I mean, I've been to plenty of games where a visiting team struggles to get the call on the field because of noise, artificial and natural. That's why most people try and not scream while their team is on offense.

I don't like air horns, at least when they're close to me. Same goes for cowbells. I've known of teams whose fans kind of embrace the cowbell thing, sort of like Miss. State.

And as far as it disrupting signals, that's completely relative. If a team uses hand signals or Oregon style picture boards, no amount of noise will disrupt their ability to see.

• 6 years later...

Several people from up there have attended high school games with me here in Tampa Bay and have been surprised by the band playing during game play. I see and hear cowbells, air horns, and vuvuzelas all of the time.

In fact, this season, there was a home fan who blasted an air horn during JV game that disrupted the home offense on a critical 4th down play and cost them the game. It was obvious the blast startled a lineman and caused a false start. I checked before leaving and a couple of player parents were relieving the fellow of his air horn. 😷

• Like 1

On 10/30/2014 at 1:08 PM, Voice of Reason said:

Persons subject to the rules

My guess is that, since fans are not representatives of the school (as band members and cheerleaders would be), they are not considered "Persons subject to the rules."