Is it a violation of any KHSAA rule to use an air horn at a high school football game

theguru

#bringbackthecannon

As much as I hated that damn cannon when I was playing moons ago, mainly because it was constantly going off, I kind of miss it to be honest. I've always said the Bluebird Boosters should use a recorded cannon sound to play after scores. Maybe mock up a facsimile cannon complete with smoke and sound.

I can tolerate the airhorn as long as it's not constantly being used, being used during play or going off near my ears. Just like bands playing while the opposition has the ball, airhorns should not be going off during plays. Cowbells and gallon milk jugs filled with crap to be shaken don't bother me as much.

Two different animals (sports) but while announcing soccer games this season and postseason I had to read the following: "The KHSAA mandates that there be no use of artificial noisemakers, confetti, signs or banners during tonight's contest."

An air horn would fall under artificial noisemakers IMO. But like I said, two different animals as soccer is pretty much all continuous play while football is not.

Just wanted to put it out there for interpretation.

That is the way I read the rule. They should not use it during live play.
Question for anyone, not just VOR...

What constitutes "during live play"?

Much like the music that is played at some venues (Johnson Central) would air horns be OK between plays but not once the QB steps up to the line?

I have been at games where an announcement was made over the PA that any artificial noise makers were a violation of KHSAA rules, after one had been used.

Now, I don't know if that was something the PA announcer was told to say by anyone associated with the KHSAA, or if that was him taking it upon himself to do.

But, if it is a rule, I have never seen it enforced.

From the 2014-15 KHSAA Handbook, Competition Rules for Football:

J) Band or other school Provided Music During Live Ball

1) The band is not to play or cheers be given when the ball is alive

by rule.

2) Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create

any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals. Drums,

cymbals, bells and mechanical noisemakers shall not be used to

assist cheering.

I checked with Angela Passifuime who is the assistant commissioner for the KHSAA . She said the above is the basis and , yes, air horns are banned per the KHSAA.

I checked with Angela Passifuime who is the assistant commissioner for the KHSAA . She said the above is the basis and , yes, air horns are banned per the KHSAA.

Interesting.

What is the ruling on playing music over the public address system? Is a milk jug mechanical? Cowbells? And the Beechwood mechanical bullhorn is definitely out, right?

Interesting.

What is the ruling on playing music over the public address system? Is a milk jug mechanical? Cowbells? And the Beechwood mechanical bullhorn is definitely out, right?

No clue on jugs and cowbells. Bullhorn would have to be disallowed.

No clue on jugs and cowbells. Bullhorn would have to be disallowed.

Since the KHSAA takes such a broad interpretation jugs and cowbells have to be banned based on this part of the rule:

"shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals"

Since the KHSAA takes such a broad interpretation jugs and cowbells have to be banned based on this part of the rule:

"shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals"

The question I have is who makes that call? If the coach isn't complaining I doubt the white hat is going to stop the game for it.

Interesting.

The phrase I have heard is "Artificial noise makers" which I would imagine would include anything other then the human body. Not sure though I have never seen it enforced.