Should private schools be a part of the K.H.S.A.A.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAC, who said anything about exclusion? Would just like to see schools put in "categories" where the playing field is leveled. Two categories; one with open enrollment, one with closed. Pretty simple. Everyone knows open has a distinct advantage over closed. Said advantages should not exist. Separate them.

So would one category be private schools and Jefferson Co schools and Kenton Co schools and a lot of Independent school districts?

TAC, who said anything about exclusion? Would just like to see schools put in "categories" where the playing field is leveled. Two categories; one with open enrollment, one with closed. Pretty simple. Everyone knows open has a distinct advantage over closed. Said advantages should not exist. Separate them.

So then by that logic, you're obviously FOR several classes in basketball as well?? :confused:

Gee, I didn't realize that the KHSAA had a rule against open enrollment?

Oh that's right the Boone County Boone of Education does, except when it comes to one of their own employees, then it's ok to attend the school of their choice but not you the plain old taxpayer!

He is a idea, vote the Board of Education members out who don't want open enrollment and vote in citizens who would vote for open enrollment!

Gee, I didn't realize that the KHSAA had a rule against open enrollment?

Oh that's right the Boone County Boone of Education does, except when it comes to one of their own employees, then it's ok to attend the school of their choice but not you the plain old taxpayer!

He is a idea, vote the Board of Education members out who don't want open enrollment and vote in citizens who would vote for open enrollment!

Or why not just separate them? Open category and Closed category. Just not that simple when dealing with public school systems. Many issues to deal with and you act like it would be a simple thing to implement. Your school has an advantage, great, keep it. Just don't sit there and pound your chest when you put a beat down on a school with closed borders and say "well it's there own damn fault, they should have open enrollment". Not that simple.

How about public schools that allow the "out of district students" on their teams. Should there be a limit on the amount of out of district students that you have on the team and it would move them to the Private school division? Then there are counties with open enrollment? Should they be excluded also from the "Public school" division as well. There are only two things that would help keep student/athletes in their true home school area. The best way is to build a winning program and get the support of the administration behind the programs to get the students excited to play for that school. Or do what Ohio does and do not allow students to play sports from out of state that attend an Ohio school. They can go to school but not play a sport. However, you would have to do that from phyiscal address of the student. They could attend another school but not be allowed to play sports. (But ways around that as well).

Where have you been the last 10 years ? This subject has been discussed on this site ad infinitum , ad nauseum .

No need to get bent all of shape over my question. Iexplained that I only been on here a couple of weeks and didn't know about any previous discussion on this topic. I'm sorry.

No need to get bent all of shape over my question. Iexplained that I only been on here a couple of weeks and didn't know about any previous discussion on this topic. I'm sorry.

Don't sweat it. While many of us old-timers have talked about it a lot it doesn't mean there aren't people who are newer that want to weigh in. Have at it, chief.

Anybody crying about publics and privates being together is being a big old baby. There isn't a school in this state who hasn't benefitted from an out of district student at some point in that school's history whether it is academically, athletically or financially. Quit being babies and beat somebody.

Or why not just separate them? Open category and Closed category. Just not that simple when dealing with public school systems. Many issues to deal with and you act like it would be a simple thing to implement. Your school has an advantage, great, keep it. Just don't sit there and pound your chest when you put a beat down on a school with closed borders and say "well it's there own damn fault, they should have open enrollment". Not that simple.

You just don't get it do you? The Boone County Board of Education chooses to make your district closed. The Commonwealth doesn't require it, the KHSAA doesn't require it, your own Boone County Board of Education is the one to blame not Kenton County, Beechwood, HHS or even CovCath. Vote the current member out and vote in those who would be more inclined to vote for open enrollment. Again the only people to blame are those who vote for the current Boone County Board of Edcation.

Anybody crying about publics and privates being together is being a big old baby. There isn't a school in this state who hasn't benefitted from an out of district student at some point in that school's history whether it is academically, athletically or financially. Quit being babies and beat somebody.

Amen bro.

Sorry, only been on here for a short time and didn't know it had been discussed. I just noticed the favorite teams in the class a tournament and noticed quite a few private schools.

I do think that's a different issue though, and you raise a good point. The spirit of the All-A Classic was to give the "little guys" a chance at recognition and something to play for. I don't think it's founders intended for a team like this year's NCC and Cordia teams, or some previous year's UHA, Rose Hill, etc., to be in it.

I also think teams like last year's KCC were almost too big, speaking in terms of student population, to be in it too.

At the same time though, there are also plenty of private schools like Sayre, Model, Kentucky Country Day, etc. These are private schools in the more urban areas of Kentucky who just can't compete with the big publics on a yearly basis without starting to 'recruit' just for basketball. Sure, they might have a "good" team by their standards some years, but on the whole, they aren't going to compete with the numbers at a place like Ballard, Henry Clay, etc. each year.

Not really a good answer to that one. I think that at a certain point, it's kind of unfair to a school like a Buckhorn (14th) to be beaten by a loaded Cordia team. I say that too because the kids from Cordia will have their stage in events like the regional tournament, games against teams like Lexington Catholic, and holiday tournaments like the Republic Bank Classic. They're going to be seen playing on some big stages. Same goes for Newport Central Catholic this year. They're one of the best teams in the State and recently had a game so packed out that the number of people were a large contributing factor in the game being called off due to perspiration on the floor. If the exchange kids from Hazard become eligible and are all they are being hyped up to be, then I'll feel the same way about them, but not until then.

Long story short, when I think of the All-A, I think of it as a way to reward a small community and give them their chance in the spotlight. Elliott County's teams a few years back would be a perfect example of that. A bunch of kids from a small town who grew up playing together, were good enough to get to state tournament, but just couldn't get past some of the bigger schools like Mason County or Covington Holmes.

Private schools can have these same close-knit communities, and many of their kids (while probably not as talented as one of the more "talented" All-A teams from the mountains that I could think of), still have a regional and state championship to play for.

I just think that, as a coach, at a certain point, I'd probably hope that my team graduated from the point of playing for All-A titles and instead worried about winning tournaments like the LIT (back when they invited teams from all over the state).