Should private schools be a part of the K.H.S.A.A.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again... :deadhorse::ohbrother:

Sorry, only been on here for a short time and didn't know it had been discussed. I just noticed the favorite teams in the class a tournament and noticed quite a few private schools.

Sorry, only been on here for a short time and didn't know it had been discussed. I just noticed the favorite teams in the class a tournament and noticed quite a few private schools.

It's all good. Welcome to the site, BTW. Yes, we have discussed this several times in several threads on here over the years...with no real resolution made.

NO.

RE has been 100% consistent on his beliefs. I could support them IF and only if every public school took no kids from outside of their defined district. So in NKY that would mean Beechwood or Dixie or SK didn't have any kids enrolled who lived in another public school district. If that was the case THEN I could see the legitimacy.

Aren't the privates and publics separate in state tournaments in Tennessee? How is it working out in that state?

I've always been 50/50 on this issue, never clearly being able to make up my mind. There's only two private schools in the 14th where I live: June Buchanan School and Riverside Christian, and they've not been a factor in sports in the region with the exception of the one year that JBS made it to the Sweet 16 with the Stepp brothers, Tate Cox, and a 6'8 player named Collins. But they took a lot of grief the entire year and long afterwards from other schools in the region that accused them of persuading players that should have been at their schools to enroll at JBS. I know in-county school Knott Central's fans kept the internet sports sites, this one included, hot with back and forth dialogue during that time. It still pops up occasionally on some sites and it's been over 5 or 6 years since the Crusaders crusaded down to Rupp to play in the state tournament.

I suppose if I had to make a choice I'd tend to lean slightly with leaving it as it is. I have more issues with the open enrollment policies of the Jefferson County public schools than I do the privates. If you have a county that has around 800,000 population and permit students to openly enroll in any school in the county coming out of middle school you are setting up a situation where the best athletes can conglomerate at the same schools. That's probably why the same schools in Louisville are powerhouses in basketball, baseball, and football every year. These kids know each other through summer leagues and AAU, and it's not too difficult for buddies from different districts to try to attend the same school when they enter high school. I don't know if that's exactly how it is but that's how it was explained to me by a fan from Louisville at the state tournament a few years ago. He was angry because his school had lost several talented players to another district.

Simple question - what advantage does a private school have that makes anyone think they should be kept separate?

And to go ahead and address one sure point - drawing students from a region/"out of district" versus from a district is not a valid reason. Others have already touched on this above. The fact is any student entering their freshman year can attend any high school they want - public or private - EXCEPT THOSE PUBLIC DISTRICTS THAT CHOOSE TO EXCLUDE OUT OF DISTRICT STUDENTS.

Is there any other argument that can be made for separation?

Simple question - what advantage does a private school have that makes anyone think they should be kept separate?

And to go ahead and address one sure point - drawing students from a region/"out of district" versus from a district is not a valid reason. Others have already touched on this above. The fact is any student entering their freshman year can attend any high school they want - public or private - EXCEPT THOSE PUBLIC DISTRICTS THAT CHOOSE TO EXCLUDE OUT OF DISTRICT STUDENTS.

Is there any other argument that can be made for separation?

Amen bro.

No argument can be made for separation other than sour grapes.