Should private schools be a part of the K.H.S.A.A.

Can public school tuition students get tuition assistance and do work study like private schools? Also I see Boone Co doesn't take tuition kids any other districts with the same policy?

For the millionth time, that is a Boone County schools issue and this is a sour grapes issue.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we really gonna do this my friend? You know as well as I do parents with money are going to send their kids to a private institution for a better education. Well money hangs with money so if little Johnny or Jane is a good ball player and their friends are good players and their parents can afford it they will go to the same school as Johnny or Jane. And so on and so forth. Tends to lean to the better talent going to private schools. So hence the private schools get an abundance of talent therefore make them front runners in athletics. So the public schools are behind. Now there are very talented kids playing in public schools. I'm not saying that. They are most likely in the situation as to their families can't afford the high cost to attend a private school. Not the kids or the family fault it's just life.

It also may depend on your sport of choice. Beechwood highlands are football schools. If we are talking bball then what about their bball programs would be attractive to a stud baller? Campbell co is just a big 6a school that are in the hunt for a region championship but not really a contender for a state title. I could go on and on.

Let's take the private school debate out of it for a minute give me a good reason why there shouldn't be classes? And the sweet 16 excuse ain't cutting it. Attendance was down this year so the revenue from attending isn't a factor. Now that there KHSAA TV and I know my school has a very slim chance of going I won't spend one penny on sweet 16 tickets.

Now one could say that if we had classes that the private schools would dominate that. Because they would not be any competition for them. My response to that is they could file to move up in class. Like Mayfield moved to 2a. Or Highlands to 4a.

The anti-classification people would say the little guys have the all a dal with it but that's just a cop out. 4 classes and play semifinals and finals of each class at Rupp and you still get that venue in March for high school hoops. Play your sectionals or districts like they do in football.

Sweet 16 and All-A. You can't just say I don't like these points so they don't count. You're welcome to your opinion and you're not alone with it, but many people love the Sweet 16. Personally, I'm not in high school and I don't have kids in high school. I honestly only care about Kentucky high school basketball at the state-wide level because there will only be one champion. And yeah, some people have valid complaints about the All-A, but with Kentucky keeping its one true champion, I'd definitely rather there be the tournament as it is than not have it at all.

Stumbled across this thread and was very intriged. Has anyones views changed on the matter?

I say the sooner we get to classes in basketball the better.

Should private schools have their own class? Absolutely!!

What part of the state are you from?

You know...if there were 100 private schools playing in the KHSAA, then maybe they could sustain themselves and play in their own division. And even then I'm not saying it should happen, I'm just saying that it could happen and quite possibly be successful. However, that just isn't the case. There aren't a ton of private schools out there playing basketball in the KHSAA. And the be quite honest, some of them that do play in it probably shouldn't for the fact of being so small and un-competitive...there are better options for them.

The simple fact is there just aren't enough private KHSAA schools to support such a move. It's just not feasible, not logistically logical, and really no point or need for it.

Facts don't matter to folks who are jealous. It's been that way since the beginning of time.

Some private schools recruit. Some public schools recruit. District 8 has 3 schools that have won titles in the last 30 years. Two of them public. Transfers happen all the time between the public and private school. The private school has no obvious advantage over the public schools and that's been proven the last few years.

To imply that private schools have an advantage is silly.

I'm not a fan of classes at all. I think it leads to the "everyone gets a trophy" idea and entitlement. Would I love for my kids to experience a championship, yes! but if you are not truly "the best" then it's kinda hampered in my opinion. Why do we today feel like we have to pave paths of success for our kids??? I just don't get it at all. If you want to be a state champion, it takes a lot of hard work. And there are 1000s of kids every year that will never be a state champion. It's like we've diminished the word "champion". Champion is the best! Not the best in a filtered out system. THE BEST!!! Creating classes does not give us the best! It gives us the best based on conditions. If you want your kid to be on the best team, you have options. You can control that. But let's quit making up ways for every kid to get trophies!!!!!