Will UK Miss Wiltjer This Season?

JokersWild24

Discussion that was brought up during the UK-Providences Updates thread. I said I thought the Cats would miss him and that they are a more complete team with him. Others disagreed.

The basis for my claim was basically that the team lacks consistent outside shooting, and that on nights that Young was cold, we'd miss his shooting touch and the ability to make teams respect him (likely to the extent that they couldn't play zone when he was in). I'll stand by my statement that he's 6'9 and would have the best set jumper on the team. In my eyes, that isn't something you can replace with Hawkins (size, inexperience) or Poythress (consistency), at least not yet. For me, he may not even have to score a ton of points to contribute, as the look he could provide the offense would probably open up things for everyone else. It seems like their ability to penetrate off the dribble would be easier while defenders, especially those with the size or athletic ability to close out on him and bother his shot, were worried about giving him too much space.

Those disagreeing mainly cited well founded points about his ability on the defensive end. Some even said that when he isn't on, he's practically useless, and I do agree with that. However, my point was that there will be nights when we struggle to shoot the ball and having him come off the bench and play the role he did during his freshman season would be a nice asset. At worse, it would seem as though him being off would mean we take him out and roll with exactly what we have now.

Something that wasn't brought up during the brief updates thread which kind of underscores the original point I was trying to make is whether or not he'd fully buy into playing the same role he had during his freshman season and the potential that there was too much talent, too many egos, and not enough shots to go around.

What do you think? There's really no way of proving that someone is right or wrong in their analysis since this is a new team this year and we don't know how Kyle would blend with their talent and what effects he may have on chemistry, so let your thoughts fly in the discussion below.

Edited by JokersWild24

A select group of folks will miss Kyle, while the vast majority will not. Count me as one of the optimistic ones who thought he'd get better defensively and stretch the floor on offense. His lack of commitment to the weight room did him in. I expect him to do well at Gonzaga but not going to miss him at all.

He would have been lucky to get mop up minutes by mid season. He was a one trick pony. I will take my chances with AA Harrison and James Young as shooters. I would rather have have Poythress and his potential over Wiltjer for those 12-15 minutes per game.

Discussion that was brought up during the UK-Providences Updates thread. I said I thought the Cats would miss him and that they are a more complete team with him. Others disagreed.

The basis for my claim was basically that the team lacks consistent outside shooting, and that on nights that Young was cold, we'd miss his shooting touch and the ability to make teams respect him (likely to the extent that they couldn't play zone when he was in). I'll stand by my statement that he's 6'9 and would have the best set jumper on the team. In my eyes, that isn't something you can replace with Hawkins (size, inexperience) or Poythress (consistency), at least not yet. For me, he may not even have to score a ton of points to contribute, as the look he could provide the offense would probably open up things for everyone else. It seems like their ability to penetrate off the dribble would be easier while defenders, especially those with the size or athletic ability to close out on him and bother his shot, were worried about giving him too much space.

Those disagreeing mainly cited well founded points about his ability on the defensive end. Some even said that when he isn't on, he's practically useless, and I do agree with that. However, my point was that there will be nights when we struggle to shoot the ball and having him come off the bench and play the role he did during his freshman season would be a nice asset. At worse, it would seem as though him being off would mean we take him out and roll with exactly what we have now.

Something that wasn't brought up during the brief updates thread which kind of underscores the original point I was trying to make is whether or not he'd fully buy into playing the same role he had during his freshman season and the potential that there was too much talent, too many egos, and not enough shots to go around.

What do you think? There's really no way of proving that someone is right or wrong in their analysis since this is a new team this year and we don't know how Kyle would blend with their talent and what effects he may have on chemistry, so let your thoughts fly in the discussion below.

I actually agree that Wiltjer would have made this a better team, if they used him like they used him his freshman year. With that said even if Wiltjer stayed, he wouldn't have played this year. If I remember correctly if he stayed Wiltjer was planning on Red-shirting to get stronger because he knew he wouldn't get much minutes. So honestly its a mute point, he was going to red-shirt if he stayed.

I doubt he would have found many minutes on the court...and the kid just could not play D, so anything you got from him offensively you lost that or more on the def side. He really needed to bulk up and play the 4. it wouldn't have slowed him down any but would have given him the strength he needed to bang, also wouldn't have been "out quicked" as much, while still allowing him to step out and take the 3. Being slow and weak is not a good combo. If he could just have improved one or the other (and he probably wasn't gonna get quicker, so needed more strength) he could have created a lot of matchup problems.

They have a player sitting on the bench that's better right now than Wiltjer ever was. His name is Derek Willis and he is 6'9 and, according to his teammates such as Randle, he burns the nets from long range every day in practice. He's quicker than Wiltjer, a better ball handler, better jumper, better defender, probably a better rebounder, and just as good of a shooter. So, if Willis isn't playing right now I would think that neither would Wiltjer. He did the right thing in transferring, for his own peace of mind, happiness, and playing time.

I just hope Willis doesn't get recruited over every year to the point that he transfers. I believe he has a tremendous upside to his game and a bright future.

Wiltjer was providing solid minutes on the championship team; but, his deficiencies could not be hidden last season without a team of 6 NBA players around. And he has some gaping deficiencies. Though he also has a crafty game where he can be difficult to defend. His game however is predicated upon him being open from deep, or clearing out and stalling the offense so that he can operate. It never hurts to have another shooter on the team, so in that sense this team needs him. But more than that I have felt they needed a solid defender on the wing. Hawkins is filling that void the best he can. It is the reason I felt loosing Goodwin was as big of a loss as any last year.

Wiltjer saw the writing on the wall. He was not going to get more than 10-15 minutes on this team, and he was not going to start over Towns next season. Best move to part ways by both parties.

Cal's teams at UK have had a severe lack of upper level leadership, they will miss his leadership in the first half of the season. It's been nailed head on that after mid season he would only see mop up minutes but for the first half he could have helped the team develop and mature a lot.

Cal's teams at UK have had a severe lack of upper level leadership, they will miss his leadership in the first half of the season. It's been nailed head on that after mid season he would only see mop up minutes but for the first half he could have helped the team develop and mature a lot.

Being older doesn't make you a leader. It just makes you older...