Ichiro Gets His 4,000th Career hit

Clyde

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ichiro has been pretty durable throughout his career. He has the speed to get some hits that others can't. He'll get 3,000 and then after that season I believe he retires. I think he loves the game and is really chasing 3,000 before he calls it quits.

He's been great for baseball and expanding internationally. HOF no doubt.

As far as his stats in Japanese baseball. If Tuffy Rhodes is top 10 in all-time home runs...your stats don't count.

Not to diminish how talented Ichiro is. Like I said before, I truly believe he would've challenged 4,256.

Japanese baseball is somewhere above "AAA" and below the Majors.

To discount his hits over there is misguided......considering his 13 year hit total here is better than ANYONE ever.

Japanese baseball is somewhere above "AAA" and below the Majors.

To discount his hits over there is misguided......considering his 13 year hit total here is better than ANYONE ever.

I haven't discounted them. However, it's not MLB so it doesn't count. That's my point.

However, you can't act like those count toward the all-time hit record. Tuffy Rhodes hit 13 HR's in MLB.

• 3 weeks later...

Another sound bite that lets us know just how good baseball is in Japan. Former Red Wladimir Balentien (anyone remember him) Just hit his 55th homer of the season. He is now tied with Sadaharu Oh and Tuffy Rhodes as the single season record. He has 21 games left to play.

He had 3 homers in 40 games and 125 plate appearances for the Reds.

First of all, Ichiro should be a no-brainer HOF...even if his career ended today. Especially when you consider the fact that he didn't start playing MLB until he was 27. (Pete Rose already had nearly 900 hits by the time he was that age.) The guy belongs in Cooperstown for what he's done here, pure and simple.

However, that being said...like Crash, I don't put a whole lot into the numbers he achieved while in Japan. The single season record for hits over there is 214 by Matt Murton...who had all of 272 hits for his MLB career (nearly 350 games). I'm not saying there can't be stars come from that league over there and have success here...but, let's not get carried away and say that the two leagues are comparable.

• 1 year later...