Who is the most impactful transfer into your favorite High School program?

Tyler Bray to Lloyd from Ryle was a pretty good transfer. I consider Mike Hester and Nate Edmondson to Simon significant. Biggest one over the last few years...Sidney Moss to Boone. I know it's girls but because of her, the Moss boys will be there as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't consider it a transfer unless it is a player who had varsity experience moving from one school to another.

I agree!

But having said that. Not that it's my favorite HS program but I was there as the PA announcer at the time, when Cov. Holy Cross got Joe Harney, he is way up there for that school/team.

Tyler Bray to Lloyd from Ryle was a pretty good transfer. I consider Mike Hester and Nate Edmondson to Simon significant. Biggest one over the last few years...Sidney Moss to Boone. I know it's girls but because of her, the Moss boys will be there as well.

I could be wrong but last I heard, Thad lives in Boston with Randy and has custody.

Some schools that would come to mind over the past 20 years (went to my first state tourney that I could remember in '98, so here's a starter for some of those years):

School - Player (Last Year Played @ School):

Scott County - Rick Jones ('99)

Fort Thomas Highlands - Derek Smith ('99)

Moore - Carlos Hurt ('99)

Lexington Catholic - Demetrius Green ('01)

Rose Hill - OJ Mayo ('03)

Caverna - Boris Siakam ('04)

Henry Clay - Aaron Dunaway ('04)

Smith went to Highlands Middle School. I don't consider that a transfer in any form.

I don't remember many at NewCath for basketball. Jeff Colston was the last one, I believe that made an impact. However, that team was already very good in 2001.

Smith went to Highlands Middle School. I don't consider that a transfer in any form.

I don't remember many at NewCath for basketball. Jeff Colston was the last one, I believe that made an impact. However, that team was already very good in 2001.

Smith lived in Silver Grove. Mom worked in the Ft. Thomas school system.

Smith lived in Silver Grove. Mom worked in the Ft. Thomas school system.

I know. Smith is related to the Sandfoss family. He and I played on the same Jr. Pro basketball team. I always told him to follow his cousins up to "the Hill." I wasn't good at that stuff.

Till this year. :D

Of course, it remains to be seen what impact the Moeves boys will make at NCC.

Didn't realize Smith went to MS in the Highlands system either. I wouldn't consider him a transfer either. I'd just included him after remembering his name coming up in previous threads on this topic.

*Trying to keep it to one player per school (per their respective era at least):

Some more recent names I might add:

North Laurel - Armus Silias ('03)

South Laurel - Eric Fields ('06)

Hazard - Josh Whittaker ('08)

Bowling Green – Chane Behanan (’11)

Elliott County – Timmy Knipp (’11) *(might not count under the played varsity at his old school requirement, but think that he and his brother came from East or West Carter)

Western – Ryan Taylor (’12)

Jeffersontown - Zach Price (’12)

Rowan County - DJ Townsend ('12)

Bullitt East – Derek Willis (’13)

Sayre – Dakari Johnson (’13) *played varsity there in MS

Trinity – Darryl Hicks (’13)

Ballard - Quentin Snider ('14)

Perry County Central – Justin Johnson (’14)

East Ridge – Ray Kasongo (’14)

Southwestern Pulaski – David Kapinga (’14)

PRP – D’Angelo Hunter (’14)

Names from the Not-So Recent Past:

Pulaski County - Reggie Hanson

Clay County - Shannon Hoskins

Names that are escaping me:

Morgan County - foreign exchange student from 2003 (picked him over this past year’s because of that team’s potential to break through and win region and what he added to it).

Question:

Am I mistaken in thinking that Anthony Hickey came to Christian County sometime around his freshman year? Don’t know if he played varsity at his old school, which I’m thinking was in Tennessee (but again I’m not 100% sure on this one).

Interesting topic for debate that came up while I was thinking about some names to add to these lists:

I know that plenty of schools receive transfers for legitimate reasons, but what are some of the more successful basketball programs around the state which haven't had the benefits of many 'impact' players coming in to their program through the years?

Two programs that came to mind as being excluded from this list (at least to the best of my knowledge) were Mason County, Wayne County, Warren Central, Holmes, and Shelby Valley. For most of those programs, there wasn’t really a huge transfer that came to mind right away, though I’m well aware I could be ignorant to the fact that there are some. In the cases of some of the schools that are in areas that are more-populous by Kentucky's standards like Warren Central & Holmes, I'm guessing there are "transfers" back and forth from nearby schools for many legitimate reasons... i.e., the Johnson brothers re-enrolling at Holmes). I know Holmes is somewhat arguable with the Johnson's and Housley coming from Newport, but I kind of think of them as a school who might lose kids to some of the Cincinnati area programs at the same time, and would think that it's a hard sell to a prospective arrival.

Any more programs/coaches that might be added to this list or disproven?

*This shouldn't be taken to imply recruiting as I feel a number of kids see a successful program and "recruit" themselves to the school and find a way into the program instead of vice-versa. But there are a number of reasons that some areas might receive more 'transfers' (strictly defined) than others (i.e., increasing/decreasing populations, job growth, etc).

Also, what are some of the schools who have lost some impact players over time?

Some of these that come to mind for me are Central (losing D'Angelo Russell, apparently the Johnson kid to Ballard this year, etc.).

I would imagine that the Frankfort schools have lost a number of players to the Lexington schools over the years (i.e., Dunaway to Henry Clay & another player whose name is escaping me right now).

Going back in time to the early 1980's, Cov Cath got one year from Don Turney who transferred in from ? - lived in NKY but may have started high school in Cincinnati. He later went to Marshall and was drafted in late rounds of NBA draft. I remember him matching up against state championship team from SK with McKinley, Meier, and Dixon.

I think it'd be interesting to know which teams that won state championships have and haven't benefited from transfers.

The couple that come to mind are Scott Co. with Rick Jones from Corbin and Trinity with Darryl Hicks from Shelby Co.

Hickey was at Hopkinsville in Middle School then went to Clarksville, TN as a Freshman before coming to Christian County in High School.

Carlos Hurt was 2001.

Anthony Grundy to Warren Central from Louisville back in 96-97 was a big transfer. That impacted Josh Carrier transfer from Warren East where he started as an 8th grader to Bowling Green for high school after his dad decided not to coach Warren East anymore after all the trouble over Grundy.