36th District Draw - 1/28

Does anyone know if this goes up for vote each year for the 36th district? - I mean once this goes to a seed next year (If it does) can it ever go back to a blind draw. I just don't know that it is totally fair if schools vote one way or the other based on what type of team they have that particular year. This comes from someone who follows a team in the 35th. Was just wondering because I would think if it goes up for vote each year that schools can pick and choose which way they want to vote based on the talent of their team that particular year. If I am missing something please fill me in. Thanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if this goes up for vote each year for the 36th district? - I mean once this goes to a seed next year (If it does) can it ever go back to a blind draw. I just don't know that it is totally fair if schools vote one way or the other based on what type of team they have that particular year. This comes from someone who follows a team in the 35th. Was just wondering because I would think if it goes up for vote each year that schools can pick and choose which way they want to vote based on the talent of their team that particular year. If I am missing something please fill me in. Thanks.

I agree with you nut, if there is a vote every year for all the districts why wouldn't some of the districts vote to a blind draw? Like the 34th district for example. They include Dixie, St. Henry, Lloyd, Ludlow and Villa. With all due respect, why wouldn't Lloyd, Ludlow and Villa vote for a blind draw for most years? Same could be said about other districts as well based on what kind of team they will have. As I stated before, state needs to mandate seeding for all districts throughout the state, IMO.

I believe that once you vote to seed, you have to seed thereafter. I think I heard this several years ago. I am not for certain, however.

Wrong. It is a one year vote each and every year in each and every District. And remember, the vote is for the NEXT season, not the current season. so voting based on your "perceived talent" would be pretty risky for most schools.

This definitely SUCKS for the girls, one of the best teams in the region not going to be there, while one team is going to get TOTALLY embarrassed at BOKC!!:ohbrother:

Now, now, now as he types with total sarcasm:ohbrother: Newport, Bellevue and Dayton girls will indeed put up that banner in one of their gyms that states "2012-2013 36th District Runner-up because we got lucky in the draw....

Honestly and truthfully, it is totally unfair to the other teams in the Girls Ninth Region Brackets who have the play the team, that beats the heck out of one of these three next night! One District winner get a walk over while the other actually has to play a game!

I agree with you nut, if there is a vote every year for all the districts why wouldn't some of the districts vote to a blind draw? Like the 34th district for example. They include Dixie, St. Henry, Lloyd, Ludlow and Villa. With all due respect, why wouldn't Lloyd, Ludlow and Villa vote for a blind draw for most years? Same could be said about other districts as well based on what kind of team they will have. As I stated before, state needs to mandate seeding for all districts throughout the state, IMO.

Which would lead to seeding the "Sweet Sixteen" tournament???

If they would classify basketball, this wouldn't be an issue. The All 'A' Classic is no longer a small school tournament. So what does a small school have to play for?

Agree that in NoKy the All "A" is a tournament for mid-major programs. Small schools by number comparison, but mid-major in program development/prominence.

The truly small schools (size and program strength) only have the NKAC Division III championship!!! Or a small school holiday invitational title.

The intention of the "A" was to showcase talent from the truly small schools, i.e., Bellevue, Ludlow, Dayton, Silver Grove, who really have no chance to ever compete for a KHSAA regional/state title. Unfortunately, they could not come up with criteria that would only qualify those schools without going to conditions, as in horse racing, at which time the "A" tournament would have become a "best of the worst" tournament. So, Stan and the "A" committee decided that the "A" State does benefit many small schools (such as in Louisville - Holy Cross/Collegiate) and in some of the mountain regions and have soldiered on knowing that in NoKy his vision will never come to fruition.

Which would lead to seeding the "Sweet Sixteen" tournament???

It could, but seeding districts is based on how teams perform against each other while Sweet Sixteen seeding would be based more on people in a room somewhere deciding who goes where.

I'm a big proponent of mandating seeding for District Tournaments statewide. Makes for better Regional Tournaments IMO.

It could, but seeding districts is based on how teams perform against each other while Sweet Sixteen seeding would be based more on people in a room somewhere deciding who goes where.

I'm a big proponent of mandating seeding for District Tournaments statewide. Makes for better Regional Tournaments IMO.

So am I, BUT I'm pointing out that it would be tough for the KHSAA to mandate seeding in all districts, leading up to non-seeded regional and the state tournament.

So am I, BUT I'm pointing out that it would be tough for the KHSAA to mandate seeding in all districts, leading up to non-seeded regional and the state tournament.

I understand how it could be perceived as an inconsistency, but I would hope that people could better understand how District seeding is easier & more plausible than Regional & Sweet Sixteen seeding. I also thinking Regional Tournaments have a hint of seeding with winners playing losers in the opening round.

I keep thinking back to that year you guys & Pendleton drew each other in the District & played at Bracken County. How much better that would have been if that game was for the District championship & then very likely a rematch for all the marbles in the Regional championship.

I keep thinking back to that year you guys & Pendleton drew each other in the District & played at Bracken County. How much better that would have been if that game was for the District championship & then very likely a rematch for all the marbles in the Regional championship.

A whole lot more fun for us. :lol:

And a great example for the pros of seeding. It was Pendleton County who was the swing vote that voted against seeding that year. Had Brossart won that game, my good friend Tom Woofter would have been swinging from the high school flagpole the next day.

Agree that in NoKy the All "A" is a tournament for mid-major programs. Small schools by number comparison, but mid-major in program development/prominence.

The truly small schools (size and program strength) only have the NKAC Division III championship!!! Or a small school holiday invitational title.

The intention of the "A" was to showcase talent from the truly small schools, i.e., Bellevue, Ludlow, Dayton, Silver Grove, who really have no chance to ever compete for a KHSAA regional/state title. Unfortunately, they could not come up with criteria that would only qualify those schools without going to conditions, as in horse racing, at which time the "A" tournament would have become a "best of the worst" tournament. So, Stan and the "A" committee decided that the "A" State does benefit many small schools (such as in Louisville - Holy Cross/Collegiate) and in some of the mountain regions and have soldiered on knowing that in NoKy his vision will never come to fruition.

Well said 'Stang.