Senior Autograph sessions?

I think it's awesome! I was just reading a FB post from a Mama Bird who said 2 kids showed up at her door asking for her son so they could get autographs. Maybe 2 future stars in Caketown? You never know what impact that makes on a program long-term or, more importantly on a kid! There are so many bad influences in the world that kids are confronted with on a daily basis. I have no problem with these young men being perceived as role models if it keeps even one kid on the straight and narrow. Go Birds!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son was not all that interested in Highlands football until Jordan Nevels talked to him after a HHS game when he was in 5th grade. It wasn't anything major, just admiring some jersey he had on. That's all it took to hook him. It's easy to please younger guys so why not make their day?

Personally, I think it's a really great idea. The colored pictures with incorrect spelling, and newly learned handwriting that my son was given the last two years are among his most prized football posessions. He thinks it is a really neat tradition for the elementary kids to get involved with the season when it ends with a state championship game. There are so many things that we are still learning about traditions wise, that it is no wonder Highlands is such successful program. I think (and I am probably wrong) that the seniors go back to visit the elementary school that they attended as a student. It is a great way for the kids to connect with the players off of the field and sends the message that they were once where the younger kids are now. It keeps the older boys grounded and allows the younger ones to put a face with a name that they probably heard over the PA system every Friday night. It also gives younger siblings a chance to show off their older brothers... :banana:

How to solve the problem for those that didn't attend elementary school in Ft Thomas? I'm thinking it would be neat for mine to look up the kids he received pictures from and thank them for helping support him and the team...

Seriously ??? You are reading WAY too much into this. First of all, there is no "selling" of a program going on here. This is purely a bunch of little kids that follow and look up to the Highlands football players. I know when my son was younger the players were looked at like celebrities. When you have a team that wins State championships over and over, from a small town, who wouldn't look up to and admire that?? These little kids stand outside the locker room when the players return to the field after halftime just to high five the players. To them they are small town celebrities. To be able to meet and talk to some of the players face to face is a thrill. I was at Moyer when the former Moyer students that were senior football players were there. You should have seen the kids lined up to talk to the guys and get them to sign something. The players graciously sat there for 45 minutes signing old highlands t-shirts, footballs, hats and scraps of paper, and even a baseball! I stood there and heard the players ask the little ones their names, who their favorite player was, did they make it to many games, etc. This was pure fun for the little kids as well as the players who got to be a celebrity signing their name and number for a few minutes. This was not "a day to promote their program" but just a time for the young kids (and there were just as many girls as there were boys) to connect with some of the players. And as far as any "less popular players" possibly being passed over - a table was set up where the kids went down the line and got every one of the player's autographs - there was no picking and choosing going on at all. And I may be jaded but I happen to think you ARE something special when you wear the Highlands jersey. It shows you are dedicated, committed, hard working, willing to give 120% to succeed and part of a program that is more like a fraternity than a football program. Maybe it would serve you well to get to know some of the players; many of them are members of the honor society, active in their church and community, and are good role models and fine young men - and this has nothing at all to do with football. You are really off the mark here. Way to take something so innocent and fun for the kids and read way too much into it. Maybe you should start to look at some things superficially. You may appear less shallow if you did.

On the surface I agree it seems harmless enough' date=' but I rarely look at things superficially. From my perspective, it's not only the "selling" of a program, but sending a message that they can be special too if they wear a Highlands jersey and win a state title. For a school system that takes pride in their academic and civic achievements, this appears to be quite a mixed signal. What about the kids from track and cross country who won a title in their repective sport? Do they get a day to promote their programs? And what about less popular football players? How do they feel when a bunch of children pass them over to get, say, McCoy's autograph? Bottom line is the football program is in a powerfully influential position in regards to messages being sent to the youth within our community and they're dropping the ball! It could serve as a platform to guard against the ills of drug abuse, the importance of being civic minded and humble, even showing support for anti-bullying. Instead, they choose to revel in their own vainglory for the sake of securing a tradition rich in self revelry.[/quote']

I remember going to the Highlands games when I was a little kid and just staring at Holly Bankamper (aka) Holly Collinsworth... lol

I remember when I was a big kid getting high fives from Holly after every Highlands touchdown at the Boyle game last year. :thumb:

Back to the thread, nothing about the autographs is negative to anybody involved.

Their is nobody stopping the baseball or basketball team etc etc. from giving autographs, but football will always be tops at Highlands.