Senior Autograph sessions?

In Whack Em's defense he did not go to Highlands and is not originally from Fort Thomas. Some people that come here being from somewhere that may have a previously objective opinion of our town don't always see things with the blue and white glasses that us homegrown birds are accustomed to. I do however think you may have overstated your point this time but I get it. Maybe no one has suggested to add a message with these visits. They could do a speech about bullies, etc. and could make a nice service project out of it to have on their college applications. I think this is innocent and in the modern age of political correct ness an old tradition now is painted as arrogance. I'll never forget my first game I went to and I got Phil Whaley's chin strap. They just won regionals and he took it off and handed it to me. It was my Mean Jo Green moment. I was hooked on Birds football after that. Guess he wasn't the right role model for me but he was great back then...Sorry Whack Em, I guess I'm the loud minority. We all know the loud part is right...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people that come here being from somewhere that may have a previously objective opinion of our town don't always see things with the blue and white glasses that us homegrown birds are accustomed to.

Give them time. Takes awhile to fully surrender to that Bluebird voice inside all of us. It's the Highlands way. It's the BGP way. It's the only way. GO BIRDS!

:lol:

In Whack Em's defense he did not go to Highlands and is not originally from Fort Thomas. Some people that come here being from somewhere that may have a previously objective opinion of our town don't always see things with the blue and white glasses that us homegrown birds are accustomed to. I do however think you may have overstated your point this time but I get it. Maybe no one has suggested to add a message with these visits. They could do a speech about bullies, etc. and could make a nice service project out of it to have on their college applications. I think this is innocent and in the modern age of political correct ness an old tradition now is painted as arrogance. I'll never forget my first game I went to and I got Phil Whaley's chin strap. They just won regionals and he took it off and handed it to me. It was my Mean Jo Green moment. I was hooked on Birds football after that. Guess he wasn't the right role model for me but he was great back then...Sorry Whack Em, I guess I'm the loud minority. We all know the loud part is right...

Absolutely correct. Point has been overstated.

In Whack Em's defense he did not go to Highlands and is not originally from Fort Thomas. Some people that come here being from somewhere that may have a previously objective opinion of our town don't always see things with the blue and white glasses that us homegrown birds are accustomed to. I do however think you may have overstated your point this time but I get it. Maybe no one has suggested to add a message with these visits. They could do a speech about bullies, etc. and could make a nice service project out of it to have on their college applications. I think this is innocent and in the modern age of political correct ness an old tradition now is painted as arrogance. I'll never forget my first game I went to and I got They just won regionals and he took it off and handed it to me. It was my Mean Jo Green moment. I was hooked on Birds football after that. Guess he wasn't the right role model for me but he was great back then...Sorry Whack Em, I guess I'm the loud minority. We all know the loud part is right...

Also in the early 70's, the cheerleaders would stop by the players houses on Thursday evening and drop off a mini box of wheaties.The box of wheaties would have a hand written message on it, to support the team. I don't know if they just went to the starters houses or if they did this to all of the players, back then the team didn't have many players .

I like the idea of having some of the players speak to the youngsters about the negative impact bullying can have on kids.

I don't think Whack has as big an issue with the signing sessions as he does with the lost opportunity to send a positive message.

We grew up in a football community that had players we looked up to and emulated (Sutkamps, Schreiber,Crittendon, Miller) b

So I don't think its unfamiliarity with community pride, I just think its the lost opportunity to use those role models.

I love it. Coaches always tell there players they play for their school and community, those players before you and the next generation, I think they call this Tradition.... I hope my son will admire local people in the community before anyone on tv....

Never heard of that happening but maybe some of our former players on here could elaborate.

You've never heard of once-great jocks who live the rest of their life disappointed that high school was the best time of their life, knowing nothing else will ever measure up? Every school's got 'em.

You've never heard of once-great jocks who live the rest of their life disappointed that high school was the best time of their life, knowing nothing else will ever measure up? Every school's got 'em.

Sure, I've just never heard of this event being a factor which is why I would like some input form people who have actually been there.

Given your parameters it is no different than what cheerleaders, pep rallies, wearing the jerseys on game day and a host of other events contribute to the subsequent disappointment later in life. I don't see it as the event causing it but the problem being with the person.

I think this thread has run its course.

This was something resurrected by a players mom and Dale or the Administration had nothing to do with it. They obviously supported it but its not like the intent was to overglorify the importance of wining football games. It was a fun thing that put a lot of smiles on kids faces.

In the future, sure they can build off of it and maybe have the players relay positive messages to the young kids but I think this has all been overblown. Jmo

Gee' date=' let me think now, would I want the youth of our community to grow up desiring to be great football players in life (better chance at winning the lottery) or would I want to equip him with knowledge and direction to avoid one of a variety of social ills that befall our young adults these days? I honestly don't think Fort Thomas is a strong community because of its high school football program. It is because of parents and teachers preparing our young children for the 80% of life left after high school. I[b']t is because they care and exude truly important qualities and not those that revolve around a "win" or " you're a loser" mentality[/b]. Maybe in future years they can see past the "program" and think of ways to solidify our future generation.

You obviously had not had that wonderful experience of meeting the middle schoolers from highlands out front of school after a game when they threatened to not only kick kids butts from the opposing school, but their parents as well. Yes this really did happen a few years back after one of the catholic school teams played. From that point forward my feelinds towards Highlands changed - and not for the better.

You obviously had not had that wonderful experience of meeting the middle schoolers from highlands out front of school after a game when they threatened to not only kick kids butts from the opposing school, but their parents as well. Yes this really did happen a few years back after one of the catholic school teams played. From that point forward my feelinds towards Highlands changed - and not for the better.

This is......Lol! I'll just leave it at that. With a Spirit I always say!

Seriously?? You would let the words of some middle schoolers define how you view an entire high school? That's as disappointing as the incident itself because if everyone used the same criteria as you, we would all view each and every other school with distaste.

I think this thread has run its course.

This was something resurrected by a players mom and Dale or the Administration had nothing to do with it. They obviously supported it but its not like the intent was to overglorify the importance of wining football games. It was a fun thing that put a lot of smiles on kids faces.

In the future, sure they can build off of it and maybe have the players relay positive messages to the young kids but I think this has all been overblown. Jmo

Yes, I am glad the kids had fun. And yes, maybe in the future we can continue to build with respect to our kids. God bless them all, I say.:thumb: