Senior Autograph sessions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember being in elementary school and the football team where I grew up coming to do pep rally's during the week of State Championship games. Without just trying to split hairs, how is this any different?

That was also back in the day (not very long ago, at that) where there wasn't this make believe sense of everybody and everything is of equal importance, either. I miss those days.

Some programs just get to do certain things. It comes with the perks.

I know several schools where their bands miss probably a week of school throughout the year for contests, playing for schools, conferences, etc. Nobody says anything, and they shouldn't. Who really cares? I don't. I'm tickled to death they get to do it

I know for a fact that FFA has members miss all through the school year, particularly early in the fall for the state fair because of things like livestock judging. So what. Who cares? Good for them.

The same can be said for this.

(and, I know the excuse given for Band and FFA, those events/perks are "content" related blah, blah BS...whatever)

I love events like this. Those in the world out there who try to put on their Academic hat won't like this, but I guarantee you that every single child in that school will remember that day, as will the boys from Highlands. I like to think that I did pretty dang well in high school and college. Could I have done better? Sure. However, I can remember MAYBE of handful of real classroom instances, but things I remember vividly are the pep rally's I spoke of above, and in the spring during the first day's of March Madness.

In my opinion, events like this are exactly why Highlands is superior across the state from academics to football. Stuff like this creates a since of school and community pride. There are many, many, MANY school systems (administrators in particular) who could learn from their ways.

There is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooooooooooo much being read into this.

I can remember being in elementary school and the football team where I grew up coming to do pep rally's during the week of State Championship games. Without just trying to split hairs, how is this any difference?

That was also back in the day (not very long ago, at that) where there wasn't this make believe sense of everybody and everything is of equal importance, either. I miss those days.

I know several schools where their bands miss probably a week of school throughout the year for contests, playing for schools, etc. Nobody says anything, and they shouldn't. Who really cares?

I know for a fact that FFA has members miss all through the school year, particularly early in the fall for the state fair because of things like livestock judging. So what. Who cares? Good for them.

(and, I know the excuse given for Band and FFA, those events/perks are "content" related blah, blah BS...whatever)

I love events like this. Those in the world out there who try to put on their Academic hat won't like this, but I guarantee you that every single child in that school will remember this the other day, as will the boys from Highlands. I like to think that I did pretty dang well in high school and college. Could I have done better? Sure. I can remember MAYBE of handful of real classroom instances, but things I remember vividly are the pep rally's I spoke of above, and in the spring during the first day's of March Madness.

There is wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooooooooooooooo much being read into this.

Is there such a thing as a "Superlike" button.....

Guest Birdflu
I can remember being in elementary school and the football team where I grew up coming to do pep rally's during the week of State Championship games. Without just trying to split hairs, how is this any different?

I know several schools where their bands miss probably a week of school throughout the year for contests, playing for schools, conferences, etc. Nobody says anything, and they shouldn't. Who really cares? I don't. I'm tickled to death they get to do it

I love events like this. Those in the world out there who try to put on their Academic hat won't like this, but I guarantee you that every single child in that school will remember that day, as will the boys from Highlands. I like to think that I did pretty dang well in high school and college. Could I have done better? Sure. However, I can remember MAYBE of handful of real classroom instances, but things I remember vividly are the pep rally's I spoke of above, and in the spring during the first day's of March Madness.

In my opinion, events like this are exactly why Highlands is superior across the state from academics to football. Stuff like this creates a since of school and community pride. There are many, many, MANY school systems (administrators in particular) who could learn from their ways.

You couldn't be more right. In a perfect world, they would take members of the Honor Roll (or whatever it is called now) to the schools to make an impression on the kids. I have great respect for members of the Honor Roll, but let's be realistic, State Champion football players have more mystique and bring more excitement. And to think that is going to change is a fantasy. I think it is important that kids get excited about going to high school, and beyond, and if this is what does it, that is great.

You couldn't be more right. In a perfect world, they would take members of the Honor Roll (or whatever it is called now) to the schools to make an impression on the kids. I have great respect for members of the Honor Roll, but let's be realistic, State Champion football players have more mystique and bring more excitement. And to think that is going to change is a fantasy. I think it is important that kids get excited about going to high school, and beyond, and if this is what does it, that is great.

Gee, let me think now, would I want the youth of our community to grow up desiring to be great football players in life (better chance at winning the lottery) or would I want to equip him with knowledge and direction to avoid one of a variety of social ills that befall our young adults these days? I honestly don't think Fort Thomas is a strong community because of its high school football program. It is because of parents and teachers preparing our young children for the 80% of life left after high school. It is because they care and exude truly important qualities and not those that revolve around a "win" or " you're a loser" mentality. Maybe in future years they can see past the "program" and think of ways to solidify our future generation.

Edited by Whackem'n'Stackem'

Gee' date=' let me think now, would I want the youth of our community to grow up desiring to be great football players in life (better chance at winning the lottery) or would I want to equip [/b']him with knowledge and direction to avoid one of a variety of social ills that befall our young adults these days? I honestly don't think Fort Thomas is a strong community because of its high school football program. It is because of parents and teachers preparing our young children for the 80% of life left after high school. It is because they care and exude truly important qualities and not those that revolve around a "win" or " you're a loser" mentality. Maybe in future years they can see past the "program" and think of ways to solidify our future generation.

Why do you think you can't do both? I know that is what I hope for my sons.

Exactly! One does not exclude the other. The football team also does a major service project each spring where the boys work to earn funds that are donated to a worthy cause. In addition to champion football players, they are champion students and citizens.

That may be all well and good in your household, but if we're honest with ourselves, there's quite a few kids that fall through the cracks with little to no instruction on the intangibles in life. These "autograph sessions" would be the perfect opportunity to reach out to those kids that may not have someone in their life encouraging them. And what better way than through an older teen as opposed to hearing it from a parent. I don't care how you slice it, it's a missed opportunity if the coaches didn't tag a positive message to these sessions.

Guest Birdflu
Gee' date=' let me think now, would I want the youth of our community to grow up desiring to be great football players in life (better chance at winning the lottery) or would I want to equip him with knowledge and direction to avoid one of a variety of social ills that befall our young adults these days? I honestly don't think Fort Thomas is a strong community because of its high school football program. It is because of parents and teachers preparing our young children for the 80% of life left after high school. It is because they care and exude truly important qualities and not those that revolve around a "win" or " you're a loser" mentality. Maybe in future years they can see past the "program" and think of ways to solidify our future generation.[/quote']

I really don't think anyone said the community is strong because of the football team. All I said is that anything that gets kids excited about high school is good. I also think it is funny that you say something about the odds of winning the lottery to someone with the name of lottoman. It's not about being a great football player, but about being a part of something successful. I respect your opinion, but if you read the whole thread, as I am sure you have, you are really in the minority.

I really don't think anyone said the community is strong because of the football team. All I said is that anything that gets kids excited about high school is good. I also think it is funny that you say something about the odds of winning the lottery to someone with the name of lottoman. It's not about being a great football player, but about being a part of something successful. I respect your opinion, but if you read the whole thread, as I am sure you have, you are really in the minority.

Wrong, my friend. I am a voice amongst a silent majority.

Guest Birdflu
Wrong' date=' my friend. I am a voice amongst a silent majority.[/quote']

I said, in this thread you are in the minority. That cannot be denied. How do you measure the silent majority?