Senior Autograph sessions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously ??? You are reading WAY too much into this. First of all, there is no "selling" of a program going on here. This is purely a bunch of little kids that follow and look up to the Highlands football players. I know when my son was younger the players were looked at like celebrities. When you have a team that wins State championships over and over, from a small town, who wouldn't look up to and admire that?? These little kids stand outside the locker room when the players return to the field after halftime just to high five the players. To them they are small town celebrities. To be able to meet and talk to some of the players face to face is a thrill. I was at Moyer when the former Moyer students that were senior football players were there. You should have seen the kids lined up to talk to the guys and get them to sign something. The players graciously sat there for 45 minutes signing old highlands t-shirts, footballs, hats and scraps of paper, and even a baseball! I stood there and heard the players ask the little ones their names, who their favorite player was, did they make it to many games, etc. This was pure fun for the little kids as well as the players who got to be a celebrity signing their name and number for a few minutes. This was not "a day to promote their program" but just a time for the young kids (and there were just as many girls as there were boys) to connect with some of the players. And as far as any "less popular players" possibly being passed over - a table was set up where the kids went down the line and got every one of the player's autographs - there was no picking and choosing going on at all. And I may be jaded but I happen to think you ARE something special when you wear the Highlands jersey. It shows you are dedicated, committed, hard working, willing to give 120% to succeed and part of a program that is more like a fraternity than a football program. Maybe it would serve you well to get to know some of the players; many of them are members of the honor society, active in their church and community, and are good role models and fine young men - and this has nothing at all to do with football. You are really off the mark here. Way to take something so innocent and fun for the kids and read way too much into it. Maybe you should start to look at some things superficially. You may appear less shallow if you did.

First of all Paragraphs, second you made some great points until you resorted to name calling.

It's his opinion, how is that being Shallow?

I have to say my 6 yr old daughter was excited and I got a kick out of seeing the horrific signatures of former Johnson boys that used to and still hang around the house.

Even ny 6th grade stepson thought it was pretty cool and lord knows I need all the selling of the program I can get with him.

First of all Paragraphs, second you made some great points until you resorted to name calling.

It's his opinion, how is that being Shallow?

I have to say my 6 yr old daughter was excited and I got a kick out of seeing the horrific signatures of former Johnson boys that used to and still hang around the house.

Even ny 6th grade stepson thought it was pretty cool and lord knows I need all the selling of the program I can get with him.

Where did BM2 ever resort to name calling ?

Stop making it out to be something political. It was a fun afternoon for the team and the students at the grade schools. It has happened in years past. Nothing new. Move on ......

Where did BM2 ever resort to name calling ?

I

Stop making it out to be something political. It was a fun afternoon for the team and the students at the grade schools. It has happened in years past. Nothing new. Move on ......

Read the last sentence of her post. I'm totally over it. Lol its called reading between the lines. She flamed out in her post. It's ok, we all flame out sometimes. By the way I don't believe I said I was opposed to it nor am I trying to create a political stir here.

Nighty night I've been up too long.

Edited by Qryche11

Read the last sentence of her post. I'm totally over it. Lol its called reading between the lines. She flamed out in her post. It's ok, we all flame out sometimes. By the way I don't believe I said I was opposed to it nor am I trying to create a political stir here.

Nighty night I've been up too long.

Good Night Qryche11, I'll see you in the Basketball forums where I will discuss something I know nothing about.:D

I don't begrudge any child the opportunity to get a football players' autograph. My main point is if you're going to do something like this, at least have a point. Here is an opportunity to educate and encourage our youth. If the coaches put this together, then they should use the opportunity wisely. Start by informing the football players of their influence and power over the kids. Many of the kids don't realize this. Empower them to use this opportunity not to bask in themselves, but to encourage and educate the children during their brief time together. I'm sure some of the kids already do this and that's great. Bottom line: Don't miss opportunities like this to make a lasting impression on a child's life rather than just leaving the kid with an autograph and a goal to play Highlands football.

Seriously ???

Maybe it would serve you well to get to know some of the players; many of them are members of the honor society, active in their church and community, and are good role models and fine young men - and this has nothing at all to do with football. You are really off the mark here. Way to take something so innocent and fun for the kids and read way too much into it. Maybe you should start to look at some things superficially. You may appear less shallow if you did.

Nobody is taking away the tradition. Someone is just giving another opinion of it.

I don't begrudge any child the opportunity to get a football players' autograph. My main point is if you're going to do something like this' date=' at least have a point. Here is an opportunity to educate and encourage our youth. If the coaches put this together, then they should use the opportunity wisely. Start by informing the football players of their influence and power over the kids. Many of the kids don't realize this. Empower them to use this opportunity not to bask in themselves, but to encourage and educate the children during their brief time together. I'm sure some of the kids already do this and that's great. Bottom line: Don't miss opportunities like this to make a lasting impression on a child's life rather than just leaving the kid with an autograph and a goal to play Highlands football.[/quote']

So who's autograph did you get last night at Mio's? Was the Sesame Street character their as well?

I think from an adult perspective, it may seem a little weird, over the top and unnecessary. But if it's presented in the form of just a little fun for the grade school kids and an avenue for them to connect with some of the football players, I think it's completely innocent. Outside the Ft Thomas community, it probably feels that the program is "full of itself". Inside, you know that the younger kids do look up to these guys and it probably makes their day to see and interact with the names that become "famous" to them on Friday nights in Ft. Thomas.

Yea, pretty much

Yea, pretty much

If you've never been a part of the program, you wouldn't understand. It's what make Highlands...Highlands. This is way blown out of proportion. It's for the kids that feel these kids are superstars. And everyone of those little guys want to grow up and win state championships. That's why this small town public school is so successful! It's one piece of the puzzle.

If you've never been a part of the program, you wouldn't understand. It's what make Highlands...Highlands. This is way blown out of proportion. It's for the kids that feel these kids are superstars. And everyone of those little guys want to grow up and win state championships. That's why this small town public school is so successful! It's one piece of the puzzle.
Again, all I was doing is commenting on what you already said. That was you were correct on how it looks from outsiders.