Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

cshs81

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Also, kids do not sit out freshman and JV sports. Only ineligible for varsity competition until their Junior year if they go from public to private, private to public or come from another system in another county or state :D

If that's true, I can live with that (ie still being allowed to play frosh/JV). I'd push hard for a one-year ban rather than 2.

I have a question. So if my kids attend St.Pius they have to go to Covington Catholic, they can't go to Holy Cross. If not i'm guessing alot of lawsuits will be coming over this. There are alot of HC alumni who live in the suburbs who send their kids to CCH and ND feeder schools and then send the kids to Holy Cross for high School.

I honestly don't see how anybody can find it fair a parent must decide on their childs high school before they even are a teenagers. All so lil johnny at public school doesn't have to try hard.

So I'm clear, "if" I sent my son to IHM up to 5th grade, he would have to go to St. Agnes (for example) for 6, 7, and 8th grade in order to be eligible for CCH as a frosh? Is that right? If he went to IHM from 1st to 8th then he wouldn't be eligible for any varsity sports until his Junior year?

I am interpreting that correctly?

So I'm clear, "if" I sent my son to IHM up to 5th grade, he would have to go to St. Agnes (for example) for 6, 7, and 8th grade in order to be eligible for CCH as a frosh? Is that right? If he went to IHM from 1st to 8th then he wouldn't be eligible for any varsity sports until his Junior year?

I am interpreting that correctly?

I've heard 2 different stories. One says your boy who went to IHM through 8th grade would be ineligible for ALL sports his first 2 years at CCH. Another says he would be ineligible from VARSITY action only.

From the CJ:

Under the public-school members' proposal, a student who attends sixth, seventh and eighth grades in a high school's feeder system would have to go that high school to be eligible to play sports immediately. A student who left the feeder system for another high school would be ineligible for sports at any level for two years. The ban would apply to students at public and non-public schools.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060111/SPORTS05/601110506/1031

There would be nothing in this compromise that would prohibit a St. Pius student from attending Holy Cross. They would just have to play freshman or JV ball their frosh and soph years (per Rock86-in CJ).

Also if the 1A schools are given the 20 mile radius instead then that student would be eligible for varsity play as a freshman just as today.

as stated above from CJ article:

would be ineligible for sports at any level for two years.

No freshman.

No JV

No SPORTS.

For 2 YEARS.

I only hope that this is ONLY for KHSAA sanctioned sports and club level sports or non-KHSAA sports like hockey will not have to abide by this.

2 years does not sound like a lot to adults. Its forever to a child. Any child impacted by this will likely leave sports for the rest of their of their life.

And everyone thinks this is OK?

Looks like I'll be hauling my 6th grader to Park Hills for school in about 12 years. :irked:

I'm in the same boat my man, but it won't be so bad. Agnes is an excellent school and is conveniently located right off the interstate. Could see a surge of enrollment for the middle school grades if this thing happens.

I think the Proposal has lawsuit written all over it. Lexington Catholic got in trouble because a kid had been going to school there. He had paid his Fall semester and when Spring rolled around his mom lost her job. He was given money from a trust fund to pay for his Spring semester but they didn't go through the right paperwork which is what got Lex Cath in all the trouble.

Take that situation and look at it. The school got in major trouble because somebody was trying to help a family out through their tough time so he wouldn't have to switch schools. The school is in big trouble for it now.

Had the kid been forced to move and he was a Soph then under this new proposal the kid would never play High School sports again! Is this really how pitiful this Public/Private junk has gotten? The adults that are spearheading this thing need to take off the blinders and take a look at how bad they will hurt kids!

Do you think he'll be a good enough athlete to play varsity as a sophomore anyway? ;)

Nevermind, if a kid is not allowed to play ANY sports for 2 years that is just ridiculous.

This whole mess amazes me, with how selfish & greedy some ADULTS are, on both the public & private sides.