January 17, 200620 yr Why is it ridiculous? If this compromise passes then it will apply to the PUBLIC and PRIVATE schools. Maybe you think its ridiculous cause in the sixth grade its hard to know a kids athletic potential. If its all about the education that kids recieve in a private school is why they go then a true parent should want their child to come up in that system from kindergarden to 12th grade right? The compromise is good and stops all this recruiting allegiations that the private schools have endured. I thought that would make you happy. Its ridiculous because just because I send my kid to a public school in 6th grade does not mean that is where I want them to go for High School. What if I can't afford a private middle school but through career advancements are finally able to afford to so after the 6th grade level. My child is to be punished because my income was not as high as it currently is? Or what if I don't find an education at a private middle school to be as important as private High School or vice versa on that issue. This is a poor compromise because it does not look out for the well being of the student or the families of students. All it looks out for it the win loss record of a bunch over indulged public schools.
January 17, 200620 yr Its ridiculous because just because I send my kid to a public school in 6th grade does not mean that is where I want them to go for High School. What if I can't afford a private middle school but through career advancements are finally able to afford to so after the 6th grade level. My child is to be punished because my income was not as high as it currently is? Or what if I don't find an education at a private middle school to be as important as private High School or vice versa on that issue. This is a poor compromise because it does not look out for the well being of the student or the families of students. All it looks out for it the win loss record of a bunch over indulged public schools. I agree with most of this, but don't lump all us public schools in that same pot. I would say that a select few are part of the problem. I love beating the private schools and public schools, and did not support Prop 20.
January 17, 200620 yr What I think you described (a Catholic school student playing for a public high school) would most likely not be allowed under the "new" rules even if that student had every intention of attending the public high school. Also that student may not be eligible to play for the public high school for one or two years upon entering high school depending on what the final details are. Most likely (depending on the final details) that student would have to decide by 6th or 7th grade what school they will attend or they could face some restrictions. Therefore, many object to that concept. It would be possible if that public high school had that grade school Catholic school on their feeder list. That would be a severe punishment to punish that child because there is no Catholic high school in that same community. If the feeder school proposal does pass there will be tons of angry parents. Now if this is grandfathered in and everyone is aware of this then we may not see as much hassle. However, it would take three years to see any change. And I thought that this was supposed to help next year.
January 17, 200620 yr It would be possible if that public high school had that grade school Catholic school on their feeder list. That would be a severe punishment to punish that child because there is no Catholic high school in that same community. If the feeder school proposal does pass there will be tons of angry parents. Now if this is grandfathered in and everyone is aware of this then we may not see as much hassle. However, it would take three years to see any change. And I thought that this was supposed to help next year. Many things are possible at this point until further details are released. Could public schools have private schools as feeders or the other way around? Who knows? Will there be grandfathering? Who knows?
January 17, 200620 yr The first lawsuit will be the private in the feeder system who is ineligible in the public system when his family couldn't pay tuition, and he goes to the "free" public school that he thought he had a right to attend. The second will be over what authority the KHSAA has over elementary or middle schools, either public or private.
January 17, 200620 yr Author Will there be grandfathering? Who knows? There will HAVE to be grandfathering. The question is how far back grade-wise do they go.
January 17, 200620 yr This may have been answered already but can anyone tell me if a school can have multiple "feeder" schools? Also, can one "feeder" school have multiple high schools that a child can attend or is there one sole high school that will reap the benefits of this ridiculousness?
January 17, 200620 yr The first lawsuit will be the private in the feeder system who is ineligible in the public system when his family couldn't pay tuition, and he goes to the "free" public school that he thought he had a right to attend. The second will be over what authority the KHSAA has over elementary or middle schools, either public or private. Both quite possible. On the first one I could see rulings for "hardship" cases like there used to be when declaring for the draft in pro sports whereby you basically proved you needed to be eligible for the draft. On the second one, it could be a little tougher. They aren't really extending authority over middle schools because no restrictions happen until the student enters 9th grade (high school) at least from what we know so far.
January 17, 200620 yr There will HAVE to be grandfathering. The question is how far back grade-wise do they go. One would think there would be but then as someone pointed out it could be "open season" for the next couple of years.
January 17, 200620 yr This may have been answered already but can anyone tell me if a school can have multiple "feeder" schools? Also, can one "feeder" school have multiple high schools that a child can attend or is there one sole high school that will reap the benefits of this ridiculousness? To my knowledge that hasn't been answered yet. I believe I read somewhere in a CJ article that the BOE would determine the feeder schools, but I'm not certain.
January 17, 200620 yr To my knowledge that hasn't been answered yet. I believe I read somewhere in a CJ article that the BOE would determine the feeder schools, but I'm not certain. What a mess, IMO.
January 17, 200620 yr Author This may have been answered already but can anyone tell me if a school can have multiple "feeder" schools? Also, can one "feeder" school have multiple high schools that a child can attend or is there one sole high school that will reap the benefits of this ridiculousness? Each Catholic grade school in NKY is assigned to a "district". My district includes CCH, NDA, and I think Villa. These high schools pull from Pius, Agnes, Blessed Sacrament, St Joes, I think St John's in Covington and maybe one or two other smaller ones I'm forgetting. If a child from one of these schools chooses to go to HC or SHDHS, they are considered "out of district" and pay an additional fee. Public schools can have multiple feeder schools as well. I know in Scott County, there are at least 2 middle schools that feed into Scott County High School.
January 17, 200620 yr You guys are killing me..Looking for everyway possible to skirt the rules even before they put this into effect. Things don't seem quite so fair when we just might be getting at least closer to a level playing field. Go ahead though with all those posts. Everryone enjoys more laughter in their life. Just remember those enrollment numbers. Holy Cross 435 grades 9-12, CovCath 478 grades 9-12 and St Henry 540 grades 9-12 per the Private SchoolReview website so "NO 20 Mile Radius Exemption" for you..
January 17, 200620 yr Each Catholic grade school in NKY is assigned to a "district". My district includes CCH, NDA, and I think Villa. These high schools pull from Pius, Agnes, Blessed Sacrament, St Joes, I think St John's in Covington and maybe one or two other smaller ones I'm forgetting. If a child from one of these schools chooses to go to HC or SHDHS, they are considered "out of district" and pay an additional fee. Public schools can have multiple feeder schools as well. I know in Scott County, there are at least 2 middle schools that feed into Scott County High School. So there are still plenty of options for potential private school students. In NKY, if they are going to assign a "district" will they allow the kids to have a Brossart/NCC choice because of football? Or, will the kids south of BB have to be a Camel or Mustang? I'm not sold on this being a good compromise for anyone. How much will it change things?
January 17, 200620 yr You guys are killing me..Looking for everyway possible to skirt the rules even before they put this into effect. Things don't seem quite so fair when we just might be getting at least closer to a level playing field. Go ahead though with all those posts. Everryone enjoys more laughter in their life. Just remember those enrollment numbers. Holy Cross 435 grades 9-12, CovCath 478 grades 9-12 and St Henry 540 grades 9-12 per the Private SchoolReview website so "NO 20 Mile Radius Exemption" for you.. Since the details are not final, I don't know if I would bank on the 350 student limit. That number has been discussed along with the a Class A designaton, along with no changes to the current feeder schools if they are already designated.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.