Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

Featured Replies

Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

But given a choice between holding separate championships, or making it tougher for kids to flit from school to school, the thirst for competition won out. As Newport Central Catholic football coach Bob Schneider said when asked whether he could accept the two-year clause: "I can live with it because I don't want to be sitting outside the playoffs."

 

Priceless. You're so correct Bob. ;)

  • Replies 166
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The simple fact is that Bracken County doesn't compete against Trinity or x. If you want size classes for all sports it is fine with me. There are a lot of other factors that go into level competition. Prop 20 doesn't address them. DeSales, in Louisville, doesn't have near the resources of Trinity or x, yet Prop 20 would put them out as it would Portland Christian School. Male has as good or better resources available, yet prop 20 would leave them in. It is a bad idea. Hurting private schools may not be your aim, but I firmly believe that it is the aim of many of the school administrators. Some communities put a great deal of resources into all aspects of their schools, including athletics. Some communities don't. The solution is not to ban the ones that put in the resources. There is a rule of behavior that says that when you punish an activity, you get less of it. If you penalize schools for putting resources into their schools, you will get schools that put in fewer resources. I'll give you an example. For as long as I can remember, St X has played football on someone else's field. Trinity has built a great new stadium and guess what, now X will build one. If X had taken a Prop 20 attitude they would have demanded that Trinity be made ineligible for the playoffs since the new facility gave them an unfair advantage.

There is no ban. Simply saying schools should be competing against schools that they are similar to in nature. The same as you mentioned in your first sentence.

Would private schools still be able to play in the Sweet 16 if they qualify?

 

If not then it is a ban regardless of how well you spin it.

 

You can wrap garbage in pretty paper and tie it up with ribbons but the bottom line is you still have garbage when you open tha package.

Would private schools still be able to play in the Sweet 16 if they qualify?

 

If not then it is a ban regardless of how well you spin it.

 

You can wrap garbage in pretty paper and tie it up with ribbons but the bottom line is you still have garbage when you open tha package.

So St. X is banned from Class A, AA and AAA football playoffs or do they compete in a different class than Highlands, Beechwood, etc, etc?

This proves what other posters have said, that enrollment size is not the only factor. I think Notre Dame would have trouble competing at even 1A in football. :lol:

 

I don't know. Some of those girls are pretty tough... :D:D:D

The simple fact is that Bracken County doesn't compete against Trinity or x. If you want size classes for all sports it is fine with me. There are a lot of other factors that go into level competition. Prop 20 doesn't address them. DeSales, in Louisville, doesn't have near the resources of Trinity or x, yet Prop 20 would put them out as it would Portland Christian School. Male has as good or better resources available, yet prop 20 would leave them in. It is a bad idea. Hurting private schools may not be your aim, but I firmly believe that it is the aim of many of the school administrators. Some communities put a great deal of resources into all aspects of their schools, including athletics. Some communities don't. The solution is not to ban the ones that put in the resources. There is a rule of behavior that says that when you punish an activity, you get less of it. If you penalize schools for putting resources into their schools, you will get schools that put in fewer resources. I'll give you an example. For as long as I can remember, St X has played football on someone else's field. Trinity has built a great new stadium and guess what, now X will build one. If X had taken a Prop 20 attitude they would have demanded that Trinity be made ineligible for the playoffs since the new facility gave them an unfair advantage.

 

 

TA, not to change the subject, I hope you are trying to make a point with that example for the discussion and not trying to imply that the construction of our new sports complex is a result of Trinity adding on to their football field, because that would have to be another discussion.

TA, not to change the subject, I hope you are trying to make a point with that example for the discussion and not trying to imply that the construction of our new sports complex is a result of Trinity adding on to their football field, because that would have to be another discussion.

No, I was just making the point that the schools are incompetition with each other so neither is likely to let the other do anything to get an advantage without trying to match it.

So St. X is banned from Class A, AA and AAA football playoffs or do they compete in a different class than Highlands, Beechwood, etc, etc?

 

Apples to oranges and you know it.

 

For better or worse there is OVERWELMING support in this state for non-classified basketball competition. Anything that changes that effectively BANS one group from participating in a great event. I personally hope (because I am first and foremost a football fan) that all of this Prop 20 garbage does cause drastic changes in the Boys Sweet 16 tournament. Wilson Sears and his sycophants will be held in very high esteem indeed.

Apples to oranges and you know it.

 

For better or worse there is OVERWELMING support in this state for non-classified basketball competition. Anything that changes that effectively BANS one group from participating in a great event. I personally hope (because I am first and foremost a football fan) that all of this Prop 20 garbage does cause the elimination of the Boys Sweet 16 tournament. Wilson Sears and his sycophants will be held in very high esteem indeed.

And based upon the vote in October there is OVERWHELMING support for prop 20 in this state for separate classes for private/public.

 

That would not be my choice.

 

But to continue to stick your head in the stand and say that 190 some are wrong and the vast minority is right does not address the issue.

No, I was just making the point that the schools are incompetition with each other so neither is likely to let the other do anything to get an advantage without trying to match it.

 

:thumb: good enough, that's what I assumed...but you know what happens when you assume.

My guess is that within a calendar year (two at the most), something will give in this logjam. Either a compromise or a separation, but something will give. Whatever move is actually made, I will predict that, in spite of best efforts and good intentions, it will only serve as the first step in what will become a "trial and error" process of solving this issue.

 

I can envision the process of refining the "fix" taking as long as 20 years, while it is tinkered with, broken, revised, struggles, and finally comes to it's final form - whatever that form is.

 

The truth is, there is a problem here. It is evident from the posts in this forum (Private/Public) that for every potential solution, someone can raise issues that they feel are unfair, unjust, or unworkable. Since we are humans trying to repair our own handiwork, we will probably stumble through the dark, bark our shins a few times, and somewhere down the road, we'll get it right.

 

At least, I hope we do.

 

Frances

 

 

Good post. I would imagine that the tinkering will depend on the results on the playing field. I could envision things calming down if Scott County wins the Girls Sweet 16, South Laurel repeats in the Boys Sweet 16, a public school wins Baseball, followed by Danville, Russell, Highlands, and anyone other than St. X or T winning football championships. Of course if private schools win a lot there could be lots of tinkering.

Would not be surprised to see the state dip to the 8th grade level in an effort to define a so-called boundry.

What is the date that the compromises the KHSAA has formed must be turned in and voted on whether or not they will come into effect this year.

What is the date that the compromises the KHSAA has formed must be turned in and voted on whether or not they will come into effect this year.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any move they make could possibly be put into effect as soon as this year.

 

Frances

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any move they make could possibly be put into effect as soon as this year.

 

Frances

How would any of these changes affect the long term contracts, I am assuming they have them, with the stadiums and arenas for the state championships?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.