Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

cshs81

The part that really kills people like Sexton and Sears, as well as many other supporters of Prop 20 is that a lot of people spend money for an alternative to their schools. For people like Sexton and Sears, Prop 20 isn't even about athletics. It is about anything they can do to weaken alternative education.

MHO, 100% wrong. I have supported the decision that was made in October and would also support a voucher system that would allow tax dollars to be used to fund the choice you have made TA concerning private education.

The decision is very simple to understand. I don't believe you would expect Bracken County school of about 300 (boys and girls) to compete against Trinity or St. X for a football title. That is simply what is being said with Prop 20.

You might disagree with the reasoning, but simply what is being said is that SIZE is NOT the only issue that limits level competition from occurring. And the supporters of Prop 20 have said this is another classification that limits level competition.

On a side note, the supporters of Prop 20 have tried to have this addressed through many different facets before October 2005. They were ignored or brushed aside.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MHO, 100% wrong. I have supported the decision that was made in October and would also support a voucher system that would allow tax dollars to be used to fund the choice you have made TA concerning private education.

The decision is very simple to understand. I don't believe you would expect Bracken County school of about 300 (boys and girls) to compete against Trinity or St. X for a football title. That is simply what is being said with Prop 20.

You might disagree with the reasoning, but simply what is being said is that SIZE is NOT the only issue that limits level competition from occurring. And the supporters of Prop 20 have said this is another classification that limits level competition.

On a side note, the supporters of Prop 20 have tried to have this addressed through many different facets before October 2005. They were ignored or brushed aside.

But two wrongs do not make a right. This compromise still means that Bracken County will be taking on Trinity and St. X in all sports other than football and track. And it will do little to stem the concept of recruitment of athletes by Private and Public schools. It just moves it to two years earlier, makes it more messy, and restricts participation.

Is the only solution to classify all sports? If so, do you classify them on a sport to sport basis or school to school basis? For example, HHS is AAA in football and I believe AA in track.

If you do classify all sports, do you use a multiplier for private schools to appease the "Sexton Clan?"

But two wrongs do not make a right. This compromise still means that Bracken County will be taking on Trinity and St. X in all sports other than football and track. And it will do little to stem the concept of recruitment of athletes by Private and Public schools. It just moves it to two years earlier, makes it more messy, and restricts participation.

I did not indicate that the compromise did this but that Prop 20 did.

I do think it will stem recruitment if a 2-year ineligible period goes through.

Not sure what you mean by "moves it to two years earlier."

Is the only solution to classify all sports? If so, do you classify them on a sport to sport basis or school to school basis? For example, HHS is AAA in football and I believe AA in track.

If you do classify all sports, do you use a multiplier for private schools to appease the "Sexton Clan?"

All sports should be classified. The number of schools playing the sport could determine how many classes.

Multipliers are silly. They penalize the public schools that now have private schools thrust into their class. For example, it would not be fair for 2A football champ Russell to have 1A NCC, Lex Christian, Lou HC, Cov HC all moved to 2A and then have to beat them.

Oh wait, one more question. I'll use HHS as an example.(Surprise, I know) Anyway, is the HHS Middle School considered the feeder school for the high school or will they have to attend one of the elementary schools?

I would assume yes to HHSMS being the feeder school, but assuming in this issue is a VERY dangerous thing to do.

All sports should be classified. The number of schools playing the sport could determine how many classes.

Multipliers are silly. They penalize the public schools that now have private schools thrust into their class. For example, it would not be fair for 2A football champ Russell to have 1A NCC, Lex Christian, Lou HC, Cov HC all moved to 2A and then have to beat them.

I don't really understand the whole multiplier thingy and where it came from. I understand how it works but why would you think this is the way to handle the situation. I don't see why pretending a private school of 400 with a multiplier of 1.5 had 600 students is used.

I don't really understand the whole multiplier thingy and where it came from. I understand how it works but why would you think this is the way to handle the situation. I don't see why pretending a private school of 400 with a multiplier of 1.5 had 600 students is used.

Agreed, just thought it would make some of the public school advocates happy. Question, do same sex private schools currently use multipliers?

I did not indicate that the compromise did this but that Prop 20 did.

I do think it will stem recruitment if a 2-year ineligible period goes through.

Not sure what you mean by "moves it to two years earlier."

Instead of a school complaining that volleyball star Kelly K. is going to Bayside as a Frosh when she attended Valley Middle School all her sisters went to Valley.............they will just complain that Kelly K. switched to Bayside Middle School so she could play volleyball for Bayside and shows no loyalty to the Valley community.

As many ppl have said, Athletics is not a RIGHT, it is a PRIVLAGE, and if a parent wants it child to play athletics at a certain high school then it needs to make that decision at the 6th grade level.

This might be the most counter-productive statement that I have seen in this forum. Athletics and other extra-curricular activities are supplements to academics in the education of our children. They teach life lessons, responsibility, time management and other lessons just as math teaches deductive reasoning and problem solving. Stating that they are a PRIVILEGE is a little strong. Understandibly rules apply and must be abided by but they are an important part of the education process.

Secondly, making parents decide where a child will go to high school by the 6th grade emphasizes the importance of athletics when it should be a secondary concern when selecting a High School. It also removes the student from this decision entirely. 8th grade students can have positive input on what they would like to do in HS and beyond but 5th grade students are not able to contribute in this decision.

Agreed, just thought it would make some of the public school advocates happy. Question, do same sex private schools currently use multipliers?

Yes. CovCath is actually only about 475 boys which would mean total students in the building is less than St. Henry and about the same as NCC, HC, and Brossart. Notre Dame has over 600 meaning they would be a 4A school of 1200 if they played football.

My guess is that within a calendar year (two at the most), something will give in this logjam. Either a compromise or a separation, but something will give. Whatever move is actually made, I will predict that, in spite of best efforts and good intentions, it will only serve as the first step in what will become a "trial and error" process of solving this issue.

I can envision the process of refining the "fix" taking as long as 20 years, while it is tinkered with, broken, revised, struggles, and finally comes to it's final form - whatever that form is.

The truth is, there is a problem here. It is evident from the posts in this forum (Private/Public) that for every potential solution, someone can raise issues that they feel are unfair, unjust, or unworkable. Since we are humans trying to repair our own handiwork, we will probably stumble through the dark, bark our shins a few times, and somewhere down the road, we'll get it right.

At least, I hope we do.

Frances

The simple fact is that Bracken County doesn't compete against Trinity or x. If you want size classes for all sports it is fine with me. There are a lot of other factors that go into level competition. Prop 20 doesn't address them. DeSales, in Louisville, doesn't have near the resources of Trinity or x, yet Prop 20 would put them out as it would Portland Christian School. Male has as good or better resources available, yet prop 20 would leave them in. It is a bad idea. Hurting private schools may not be your aim, but I firmly believe that it is the aim of many of the school administrators. Some communities put a great deal of resources into all aspects of their schools, including athletics. Some communities don't. The solution is not to ban the ones that put in the resources. There is a rule of behavior that says that when you punish an activity, you get less of it. If you penalize schools for putting resources into their schools, you will get schools that put in fewer resources. I'll give you an example. For as long as I can remember, St X has played football on someone else's field. Trinity has built a great new stadium and guess what, now X will build one. If X had taken a Prop 20 attitude they would have demanded that Trinity be made ineligible for the playoffs since the new facility gave them an unfair advantage.