Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

cshs81

But given a choice between holding separate championships, or making it tougher for kids to flit from school to school, the thirst for competition won out. As Newport Central Catholic football coach Bob Schneider said when asked whether he could accept the two-year clause: "I can live with it because I don't want to be sitting outside the playoffs."

Does that disappoint anyone else besides me? He's going to approve a 2-year ban on kids JUST so he won't be on the outside? How short-sighted is that!

Stand up, Bob, and come up with a better solution and quit worrying about NC and the playoffs.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good response to a lousey situation . As long as this compromise works both ways and sits the kids that go from private to public I think that it is great!!!

Here's an idea: Work harder on a BETTER solution. Requiring a kid to pick his middle school by 6th grade is ridiculous.

But given a choice between holding separate championships, or making it tougher for kids to flit from school to school, the thirst for competition won out. As Newport Central Catholic football coach Bob Schneider said when asked whether he could accept the two-year clause: "I can live with it because I don't want to be sitting outside the playoffs."

Does that disappoint anyone else besides me? He's going to approve a 2-year ban on kids JUST so he won't be on the outside? How short-sighted is that!

Stand up, Bob, and come up with a better solution and quit worrying about NC and the playoffs.

We of course don't know are the inter-workings of the committees, BOC, BOE, etc. but let's assume this.

If the only two choices were: 1. Two year clause or 2. separate public/private playoffs which would you want him to choose and which would you (or anyone else) choose?

We of course don't know are the inter-workings of the committees, BOC, BOE, etc. but let's assume this.

If the only two choices were: 1. Two year clause or 2. separate public/private playoffs which would you want him to choose and which would you (or anyone else) choose?

The private schools have enough leverage to force a better solution than the two options you list. Anything the committe comes up with still has to be approved. I don't believe for a second that the KHSAA will let the publics and privates split. We've already seen that, right?

Have to agree with you on this... :thumb:

The two year sitting out period is not going to hurt the schools, be they public or private. Who they will hurt are the kids who just want to play sports and besides most kids who play high school sports are not superstars anyway. I truly believe that within the first year, some parent will sue the KHSAA for this rule on the grounds of religious freedom, be he/her going to a public from private or private to public. It will be a mess..

What do kids do who go to a Catholic grade school in a district that does not have a football team? If they want to play, under the current proposal they have to sit out 2 years. Essentially, you're forcing the kid into the public school despite his and his family's desire for him to go to a Catholic school as evidenced by his first 8 years.

THIS is but one example showing Bob and the boys took the easy way out IMO.

The private schools have enough leverage to force a better solution than the two options you list. Anything the committe comes up with still has to be approved. I don't believe for a second that the KHSAA will let the publics and privates split. We've already seen that, right?

I don't know. The privates don't have all that much leverage other than a close BOC vote not the recommend Prop 20 to the BOE. And we don't know what the message was from the BOE about solving the issue.

If the message was "Figure out something by Feb. or we will make the rules" that is a whole lot different from "Try and work something out by February and then we will all discuss it."

Plus we don't have the final details of the agreement yet. If the majority of private schools are okay with the agreement details (e.g. two year clause) and the majority of public schools are in agreement then didn't they do what they were suppossed to do?

What do kids do who go to a Catholic grade school in a district that does not have a football team? If they want to play, under the current proposal they have to sit out 2 years. Essentially, you're forcing the kid into the public school despite his and his family's desire for him to go to a Catholic school as evidenced by his first 8 years.

THIS is but one example showing Bob and the boys took the easy way out IMO.

I think you may be jumping the gun a little as we have not seen the details yet. If indeed the details do not allow for an 8 year student at Mary Queen of Heaven (next to St. Henry) to go to CovCath like his father and brothers and be eligible to play football fpr 4 years then yes that would be a bad situation. However, I am guessing that the Diocese of Covington and Louisville doesn't want families transferring all over between parishes so you may see some provisions for that.

I don't know. The privates don't have all that much leverage other than a close BOC vote not the recommend Prop 20 to the BOE. And we don't know what the message was from the BOE about solving the issue.

If the message was "Figure out something by Feb. or we will make the rules" that is a whole lot different from "Try and work something out by February and then we will all discuss it."

Plus we don't have the final details of the agreement yet. If the majority of private schools are okay with the agreement details (e.g. two year clause) and the majority of public schools are in agreement then didn't they do what they were suppossed to do?

Well their parents do at the polls, and in areas where their are a lots of private schools (NKy, Louisville) they can decide who sits on the School Board or who sits in the House or Senate.

The new proposal is garbage. It creates a whole new layer of problems for the KHSAA bureaucracy to have to deal with with all this feeder school nonsense. I will be interested to see what the lawyers have to say about equal opportunity?

It is distrubing that a coach believes this is acceptable. A two year ban on a child engaging in a sport is unbelievably harsh. The attitude of 'Forcing' parents to make decision at the 6th grade level ignores the workings in most families. As if most parents are thinking 3 years down the road about their childs varsity sports participation. Some parents are and they will plan around this harsh rule and the up and coming stars of Kentucky football will not be impacted by this at all. However, other children and families will have no idea how is 'compromise' really works and when their child switches feeder schools or defers final decision on which HS to attend they will be caught by this 'compromise'.

What is sad is that ones denied the privlege of participation will not be star players that have jumped around schools, they will not be the ones that caused this controversy. They will be the kids that want to try a sport for the first time, they will be the kids that want to do something they have never done before, the will be the kids that want to challenge themselves for the first time. And sadly, they would be denied that chance through this 'compromise'. And all involved in creating this 'compromise' will say, "well, there is always a price to pay when you compromise." But those paying will not be the supposed offending institutions, it will not be the over zealous coach who has gone over the line. It will be kids who today do not even know they could be denied a once in a lifetime opportunity because 'someone is alwasy hurt in a compromise'.

This 'compromise' works for everyone because no one loses, except for kids who would likely be low-level, non-factors on varsity teams. This is why this 'compromise' can garner support from coaches.

A compromise that involves the increase of denying kids the opportunity to participate is not a compromise. It is a sacrificial offering of some our youth for the purposes of appeasement.

I dont pretend to have answers. But keeping kids away from sports activities is not an answer.

Bob Schneider should not be on the Board of Control for the KHSAA. Nor should any current coach. Lets face it Big Bobs views on this subject will probably be a litttle one-sided.

Although the compromise falls short it is the best I've heard so far.

I would not think that Bob Schneider would support a compromise simply because it would benefit the football team that he may coach for another 2-4 years at most. I would find it hard to believe that he would "sell out" after 40 years as teacher/administrator/coach so that he could milk a couple more years benefit. That is ludicrous.

Who has calculated how many students this would effect? Have accurate details of the compromise been verified? I have also heard that the "sitting out period" for these students would be one year.

I think you may be jumping the gun a little as we have not seen the details yet. If indeed the details do not allow for an 8 year student at Mary Queen of Heaven (next to St. Henry) to go to CovCath like his father and brothers and be eligible to play football fpr 4 years then yes that would be a bad situation. However, I am guessing that the Diocese of Covington and Louisville doesn't want families transferring all over between parishes so you may see some provisions for that.

Per the Courier Journal reporter, if a "feeder system" already exists, it's not up for debate. The Archdiocese of Louisville school system is the feeder system for Catholic high schools and will not be compromised locally. Same goes for the Jefferson County Public Schools. They have a system, albeit, open enrollment county-wide, this will not be touched. The rules in place in your diocese will not be changed. Also, kids do not sit out freshman and JV sports. Only ineligible for varsity competition until their Junior year if they go from public to private, private to public or come from another system in another county or state :D