Bob Schneider's Comments on the Compromise

cshs81

There would be nothing in this compromise that would prohibit a St. Pius student from attending Holy Cross. They would just have to play freshman or JV ball their frosh and soph years (per Rock86-in CJ).

Also if the 1A schools are given the 20 mile radius instead then that student would be eligible for varsity play as a freshman just as today.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 1A schools will have to have an enrollment of less 350 students in order for the 20 mile radius rule to be in effect. In checking on the PrivateSchoolReview web site Holy Cross has an enrollment of 435 in grades 9-12, CCH has 478 and St Henry is currently at 540 and growing. Obviously then these 3 schools would not fall under the 20 mile radius rule therefore a kid who wants to play for any of these 3 schools needs to go to one of their "feeder schools". Seems pretty simple to me. Send your kid to whatever school you wish but if you want them to play sports then send them to the right feeder school in the 7th and 8th grade.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm clear, "if" I sent my son to IHM up to 5th grade, he would have to go to St. Agnes (for example) for 6, 7, and 8th grade in order to be eligible for CCH as a frosh? Is that right? If he went to IHM from 1st to 8th then he wouldn't be eligible for any varsity sports until his Junior year?

I am interpreting that correctly?

You have to wait for all the details and you also have to remember that there is no such thing as designated "feeder parishes" in Louisville right now. And I'll hazard a guess that Trinity/St. X/Assumption/Sacred Heart would never agree to any such conditions because the schools are not set up that way. Much like Latin and Villa are set up in NKY.

The Diocese of Covington has a tissy-fit right now if a grade school student wants to transfer from one school to another in the SAME feeder system. They are especially sensitive about going from urban to suburban schools. Can't imagine the mega inquistions that would result from changing schools across districts.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 1A schools will have to have an enrollment of less 350 students in order for the 20 mile radius rule to be in effect. In checking on the PrivateSchoolReview web site Holy Cross has an enrollment of 435 in grades 9-12, CCH has 478 and St Henry is currently at 540 and growing. Obviously then these 3 schools would not fall under the 20 mile radius rule therefore a kid who wants to play for any of these 3 schools needs to go to one of their "feeder schools". Seems pretty simple to me. Send your kid to whatever school you wish but if you want them to play sports then send them to the right feeder school in the 7th and 8th grade.

You had better make that decision in the 5th grade because the rule states starting in the 6th grade.

Haven’t seen this point made yet, but what happens to the kid whose Father works for a company in Iowa and he gets transferred to let say Louisville. Now, remember since that kid didn't go to a middle school no matter where he goes; he can't play for two years. Now think of this from the economics side, do you think that a company would want to move its headquarters or employees to Kentucky where its future employee children can't play sports? Do you think homebuilders in Kentucky can see their business slipping away to Ohio, Indiana or other states, because if I move into Kentucky my kid can't play sports, I mean I can live in lets say Ohio and still work in Northern Kentucky and my kid can play sports. What do you think the local chamber of commerce will say when they find out about the rule and some company tell them, you know it’s hard enough to get people to move to Kentucky to work what with how poorly the Commonwealth teaches it children and now if we bring someone from out of state and he has a child who plays sports and he finds out that his kid has to sit out two years…….now tell me how in the heck are we suspose to compete to bring in the best workers.

Think about that…. And if you tell me the rule wouldn’t apply to the above I can see another law suit coming very soon……

You had better make that decision in the 5th grade because the rule states starting in the 6th grade.

Haven’t seen this point made yet, but what happens to the kid whose Father works for a company in Iowa and he gets transferred to let say Louisville. Now, remember since that kid didn't go to a middle school no matter where he goes; he can't play for two years. Now think of this from the economics side, do you think that a company would want to move its headquarters or employees to Kentucky where its future employee children can't play sports? Do you think homebuilders in Kentucky can see their business slipping away to Ohio, Indiana or other states, because if I move into Kentucky my kid can't play sports, I mean I can live in lets say Ohio and still work in Northern Kentucky and my kid can play sports. What do you think the local chamber of commerce will say when they find out about the rule and some company tell them, you know it’s hard enough to get people to move to Kentucky to work what with how poorly the Commonwealth teaches it children and now if we bring someone from out of state and he has a child who plays sports and he finds out that his kid has to sit out two years…….now tell me how in the heck are we suspose to compete to bring in the best workers.

Think about that…. And if you tell me the rule wouldn’t apply to the above I can see another law suit coming very soon……

Again we do not have the details of any agreement so don't worry until we do.

For the situation you list above it may fall under the same rules it would if it happened today. That would be a bona fide change of residence and the student would be eligible for all sports.

Also before everyone asks I would imagine there would be a "grandfather" clause for kids already currently in middle schools.

My children go to St. Therese grade school in Southgate. Does this "compromise" mean that I'd have to send my child to NCC if he wants to play sports?

If I decide to send them to Highlands (since Southgate Independent school only goes to 8th grade and feeds into Highlands, Newport and Campbell County High Schools), I'd have to remove them from St. Therese in the sixth grade and send them to the public school so they could be involved in sports their freshman and sophomore years of school. If this is the case, I don't really think the KHSAA is thinking clearly. They need to be thinking about kids, not themselves.

My children go to St. Therese grade school in Southgate. Does this "compromise" mean that I'd have to send my child to NCC if he wants to play sports?

If I decide to send them to Highlands (since Southgate Independent school only goes to 8th grade and feeds into Highlands, Newport and Campbell County High Schools), I'd have to remove them from St. Therese in the sixth grade and send them to the public school so they could be involved in sports their freshman and sophomore years of school. If this is the case, I don't really think the KHSAA is thinking clearly. They need to be thinking about kids, not themselves.

Yes, you would have to remove them OR have them sit out their FROSH and SOPH years.

Yes, you would have to remove them OR have them sit out their FROSH and SOPH years.

Again I don't believe that is written in stone yet although it may eventually be true. The Sister from the Dio. of Louisville would lead you to believe there is still work to do.

Plus in reference to the NDFAN question above the Southgate school system (if that person lives in Southgate) is a totally unique situation now (multiple high schools come to Southgate school and openly recruit 8th grade students since there is no high school) so even though the student is in a private school there is no designated public middle school. What happens in that case may be totally different from the norm.

The whole thing is a joke. Who is it benefiting????? It is for sure not benefiting the kids.

The answer:

Coaches benefit. Hands down. On both 'sides'.

This system will 'lock-in' the potential pool of players at an early age. This will make planning for future teams easier since once a child is in 6th grade they are locked into their 'feeder' HS for all practicle purposes. This is a coaches dream situation for the high profile desirable children. So you will not see any coaches speaking out against this. They may say its tough, we have to live it, etc. But in reality coaches from both private and public schools should like this supposed 'compromise' a lot.

As for something that benefits the children....its obviously not a priority.

The answer:

Coaches benefit. Hands down. On both 'sides'.

This system will 'lock-in' the potential pool of players at an early age. This will make planning for future teams easier since once a child is in 6th grade they are locked into their 'feeder' HS for all practicle purposes. This is a coaches dream situation for the high profile desirable children. So you will not see any coaches speaking out against this. They may say its tough, we have to live it, etc. But in reality coaches from both private and public schools should like this supposed 'compromise' a lot.

As for something that benefits the children....its obviously not a priority.

The only reason the KHSAA exists is for the student athletes so maybe they need to get their priorities in order.

I still think it will be challenged legally. Any lawyers out there with opinions?

The only reason the KHSAA exists is for the student athletes so maybe they need to get their priorities in order.

I still think it will be challenged legally. Any lawyers out there with opinions?

I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

Whether people like any kind of "middle school" rule (and remember we don't know what the rule is yet) I would imagine it would hold up somewhat similar to transfer rules (i.e. sitting out a year, etc.).

By that I mean that both rules limit or restrict participation by a student. Some may think that the transfer rule is too severe, some may think it is not severe enough. I am not sure of all the litigation involving transfers but we have discussed some on here previously.

I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

Whether people like any kind of "middle school" rule (and remember we don't know what the rule is yet) I would imagine it would hold up somewhat similar to transfer rules (i.e. sitting out a year, etc.).

By that I mean that both rules limit or restrict participation by a student. Some may think that the transfer rule is too severe, some may think it is not severe enough. I am not sure of all the litigation involving transfers but we have discussed some on here previously.

No lawyer either but I would agree with your legal assessment. The KHSAA has the right to limit participation as long as it equal. With this wretched proposal, both public and private schools suffer. I know of a handful of kids at my local Catholic school who will enroll at public schools. They would suffer just like their classmates who enroll at Catholic high schools outside of their district.

The KHSAA can not police their own bylaws now as it is. With the new issue at hand, we are going to expect them to look at where every kid went to middle school 3 years, some situations 4 years prior, to determine eligibility??? Amazing. This only creates a bigger mess for them to be a bureauacracy over. Imagine all the possible crazy situations. Sixth grader's parents move during the year. Do they have to apply for a waiver then based on the current transfer by-laws, for play that will not occur possibly 3 or 4 years later. Middle schooler gets expelled from public/private school and enrolls in another public/private school; is he/she no longer eligible anywhere for 9th and 10th grade years? There are a multitude of NKY situations. Kid goes to St. Thomas(feeder school for NCC), but want to send their child to a same-sex private school in grades 9-12(Cov Cath/NDA). Your local middle school is a quarter mile away from your home, but the high school that it feeds does not have football. With this rule, the KHSAA is forcing parents to do the exact opposite of what their by-laws say. They do not allow athletics to be a factor in the transfer process, but we are going to ban you for two years for not choosing as a 6th grader. Completely absurd and if everyone thinks they have trouble policing things now, it will be 10-fold worse if this passes.