Qryche11

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Crazy story. A convicted felon on the jury? You would think someone's job would be due diligence to make sure this doesn't happen.

Court asked to revisit Shayna Hubers murder conviction over felon on jury

NEWPORT -- A convicted felon served as a juror on the Shayna Hubers murder trial, according to a motion asking Campbell Court Circuit Court for a mistrial or to grant a new trial.

A jury of seven women and five men convicted Hubers, 24, in April of killing Ryan Poston, 29, in his Highland Heights condo. Judge Fred A. Stine sentenced Hubers to 40 years in prison in August.

The case involving the shooting death of a young attorney with a privileged upbringing brought national media attention to Northern Kentucky.

The revelation of the juror's conviction came to light as Hubers' attorneys are appealing the conviction, according to the motion filed late Friday.

The juror is identified as only Juror No. 483 in the motion, which also asks Stine to consider setting aside Hubers' conviction completely.

Because the juror's name is currently under seal in the case, it could not be immediately determined for what crime the man had been convicted. However, according to the motion, the juror did not disclose the conviction when he filed out a juror questionnaire. Filling out such questionnaires is a matter of routine.

Under Kentucky law, neither convicted felons nor anyone under indictment is allowed to sit on juries, according to the Commonwealth's Administrative Office of the Courts website.

Michelle Snodgrass, Campbell County Commonwealth’s Attorney who argued the case, did not immediately return a phone call to her office seeking comment. It was unclear if either Snodgrass or Hubers' trial lawyer questioned potential jurors about their criminal record when working to sit the jury.

In Kentucky, potential jurors are culled from a master jury list compiled by the courts' administrative office. That list all residents who filed a Kentucky resident individual tax return, registered voters and registered drivers over 18 years old, according the state's website.

"It is unclear if Juror No. 483 has been pardoned or received a restoration of civil rights by the Governor, but no records have been obtained to indicate he has,'' Hubers' motion said.

Ryan Poston's father, Jay Poston, who the subject of an Enquirer report published in December, declined comment on the development. Jay Poston has said previously he and his family were pleased with the outcome of the case and praised Snodgrass' work.

During Hubers' sentencing, Judge Stine called the October 12, 2012, killing "as cold-blooded an act as I've seen" in his more than three decades in the legal system.

Hubers and Poston had an on-again-off-again relationships that grew increasingly tumultuous. Hubers never denied she killed Poston; she has always maintained she acted in self-defense. Text messages between the two showed Poston wanted to end the relationship. Jay Poston has said his son would never harm a woman and that Hubers had been stalking his son.

The case drew the attention of national media, largely after Hubers' videotaped police interrogation was made public. In the video, Hubers is captured dancing and doing a pirouette, singing: "I killed him, I killed him."

Later, she told detectives she "gave Ryan the nose job he always wanted."

Hubers shot Ryan six times, but it was the final shot to his head that was fatal.

The motion is with Judge Stine. It is unclear when he might rule.

Look for updates to this story at Cincinnati.com and in Wednesday's Enquirer.

Crazy story. A convicted felon on the jury? You would think someone's job would be due diligence to make sure this doesn't happen.

NEWPORT -- A convicted felon served as a juror on the Shayna Hubers murder trial, according to a motion asking Campbell Court Circuit Court for a mistrial or to grant a new trial.

A jury of seven women and five men convicted Hubers, 24, in April of killing Ryan Poston, 29, in his Highland Heights condo. Judge Fred A. Stine sentenced Hubers to 40 years in prison in August.

The case involving the shooting death of a young attorney with a privileged upbringing brought national media attention to Northern Kentucky.

The revelation of the juror's conviction came to light as Hubers' attorneys are appealing the conviction, according to the motion filed late Friday.

The juror is identified as only Juror No. 483 in the motion, which also asks Stine to consider setting aside Hubers' conviction completely.

Because the juror's name is currently under seal in the case, it could not be immediately determined for what crime the man had been convicted. However, according to the motion, the juror did not disclose the conviction when he filed out a juror questionnaire. Filling out such questionnaires is a matter of routine.

Under Kentucky law, neither convicted felons nor anyone under indictment is allowed to sit on juries, according to the Commonwealth's Administrative Office of the Courts website.

Michelle Snodgrass, Campbell County Commonwealth’s Attorney who argued the case, did not immediately return a phone call to her office seeking comment. It was unclear if either Snodgrass or Hubers' trial lawyer questioned potential jurors about their criminal record when working to sit the jury.

In Kentucky, potential jurors are culled from a master jury list compiled by the courts' administrative office. That list all residents who filed a Kentucky resident individual tax return, registered voters and registered drivers over 18 years old, according the state's website.

"It is unclear if Juror No. 483 has been pardoned or received a restoration of civil rights by the Governor, but no records have been obtained to indicate he has,'' Hubers' motion said.

Ryan Poston's father, Jay Poston, who the subject of an Enquirer report published in December, declined comment on the development. Jay Poston has said previously he and his family were pleased with the outcome of the case and praised Snodgrass' work.

During Hubers' sentencing, Judge Stine called the October 12, 2012, killing "as cold-blooded an act as I've seen" in his more than three decades in the legal system.

Hubers and Poston had an on-again-off-again relationships that grew increasingly tumultuous. Hubers never denied she killed Poston; she has always maintained she acted in self-defense. Text messages between the two showed Poston wanted to end the relationship. Jay Poston has said his son would never harm a woman and that Hubers had been stalking his son.

The case drew the attention of national media, largely after Hubers' videotaped police interrogation was made public. In the video, Hubers is captured dancing and doing a pirouette, singing: "I killed him, I killed him."

Hubers shot Ryan six times, but it was the final shot to his head that was fatal.

Good Lord !!! Still no closure. Who was the donkey that missed this?

While I certainly believe she is certifiably crazy. I'm still not convinced he wasn't violent towards her or other people. Those Facebook posts are simply not posts that normal non-violent people make.

"Bury him neck deep. At low tide. Throw darts at his head. Wait for high tide to roll in so I could stomp on his head while he's drowning,” followed by, "So now, everyone wants me to settle. A few second later ... and I want to rig explosives to everything I see.”

Sane people don't talk like that.

That being said, he didn't deserve to die, based on the evidence presented.

I'm glad she was convicted and I think the sentence was just.

While I certainly believe she is certifiably crazy. I'm still not convinced he wasn't violent towards her or other people. Those Facebook posts are simply not posts that normal non-violent people make.

"Bury him neck deep. At low tide. Throw darts at his head. Wait for high tide to roll in so I could stomp on his head while he's drowning,” followed by, "So now, everyone wants me to settle. A few second later ... and I want to rig explosives to everything I see.”

Sane people don't talk like that.

That being said, he didn't deserve to die, based on the evidence presented.

I'm glad she was convicted and I think the sentence was just.

I am confused on the Facebook posts?

What an embarrassment to the Campbell County Court System.

I am confused on the Facebook posts?
The defense claimed Poston was overworked and under extreme pressure from his firm.Birkenhauer was asked to read angry social media postings from Poston about an impending breakup with his law partner.

The chief testified that Poston’s postings said, "Bury him neck deep. At low tide. Throw darts at his head. Wait for high tide to roll in so I could stomp on his head while he's drowning,” followed by, "So now, everyone wants me to settle. A few second later ... and I want to rig explosives to everything I see.”

The chief said Poston later posted that he agreed to sign the agreement to break up the partnership.

Shayna Hubers' mom says daughter's boyfriend gave her the creeps - Story