Beechwood 54 Holy Cross 21

I dont know what went on between Brilz and Koz after the game but I know this. Brilz is a class act on and off the field. He's not a bully, he dosent verbally destroy kids, he coaches with class and knows his craft very well. In regards to the large numbers of coaches on the sideline. The ENTIRE coaching staff from the Middle School program on up is encouraged to attend Varsity games. We're a family at Beechwood and we love being there!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is your game report.

Holy Cross received the opening kickoff and promptly went 3 and out. A short punt gave Beechwood good field position. Beechwood gave a preview of what to expect on the night on their first possession. On their second play Mitch Thomas went 32 yards for the TD. Sletto's extar point made it 7-0. Holy Cross picked a couple first downs but on a 4th down play, Jack Tally intercepted Trail's pass and the Tigers had it at the 37. Thomas fumbled to Holy Cross on the first play. Holy Cross started 41 yards from pay dirt. They picked up one first down and then Trail threw another interception, this time to Max Shover. Beechwood had it at their own 31 with 2:36 to go in the first quarter. Their drive extended into the second quarter so the first quarter ended with Beechwood leading 7-0.

As the second quarter began, Beechwood moved the ball to the 25 running it but then decided to pass the ball and 3 sacks in a row forced a punt. Holy Cross started their best drive of the night at their own 10. They went to the running game, using the spread quarterback read play and effectively moved the ball downfield. Burt Pouncy made a nice 26 yard TD run to get the Indians on the board with 6:55 to go. Scott's extra point tied it at 7-7. A nice kickoff return by Shover got Beechwood to the 43. Thomas went for 30 then Cameron Lane went 13 yards for the TD and in one minute it was 14-7 Tigers, 5:42 to go. Holy Cross went back to their running game and moved the ball. On this drive Holy Cross' excellent receiver Vinny Pangallo was injured and did not return. Beechwood stopped them on 4th down at the 23 with 1:20 to go. The Tigers knew they could move the ball so they went for another TD. They quickly moved across midfield but time was running out and so were the timeouts. They tried to pass it into the end zone but Gabbard interecepted a Lane pass at the 9 with 9 seconds to go. 14-7 Beechwood at halftime.

Beechwood took the second half kickoff and began moving the ball at will. A Lane 57 yard TD run and missed extra point made the score 20-7 less than 3 minutes into the half. Holy Cross started their drive at their own 16. On the third play, Chris Lightner picked off a Trail pass and Beechwood had it at the 23. It only took one play for the Tigers to score as Thomas ran it into the end zone for the 23 yard TD. The XP was no good - 26-7 at 8:39 to go. On this kickoff return, Pouncy went down with what looked like a hamstring problem and did not return. Holy Cross went 3 and out. Beechwood had it at their own 31. This time it took 2 plays to score with Lane running it 67 yards for the Beechwood score. The Tigers converted the 2 point conversion on a pass from Lane to Thomas to make the score 34-7 at 6:03. In seven offensive plays and less than 4 minutes the Tigers offense put up 3 TD's and this game was over. Holy Cross did move the ball again on their next drive, going for it twice on 4th down and converting.

As the 4th quarter opened, the Holy Cross drive concluded with a TD pass from Trail to Callery to make the score 34-14 with 10:57 to go in the game. Beechwood had another one play TD drive with Thomas going 52 yards through a huge hole making it 41-14 just ten seconds after Holy Cross had scored. Beechwood brought on their reserves from here on out but there was not much difference in the results. Holy Cross went 3 and out. Studer scored from 49 yards out for the Tigers to make it 48-14. Holy Cross scored on a nice 40 yard TD pass from Trail to Gabbard. Casey Erdman capped the Beechwood scoring from 3 yards out to make your final score 54-21 Tigers.

EXCELLENT JOB!!!:notworthy:

I for once agree 100 percent with you. I thought our o-line would be a strength of our team this year and it has stunk up the joint in every game. Pair that with a defense that clearly does not know how to wrap when they tackle and any team will be in for a long season. I'm not gonna blame the receivers yet for not being able to catch because trail does throw a different ball than gabbard, I will give them one more week for their "adjustment period". If it continues then, the it will not look good for the Indians this year. However, trail can't throw when he is hit as soon as he gets the snap. Losing pangallo is going to hurt the Indians it is going to force beal, pouncy, and gabbard as a writer to step up and pick up where he left off. The only bright spot I saw for the Indians tonight was burt pouncy running the ball hard, he was cleary upset on the sidelines because he couldn't get his cramps under control to go back on the field to help his team.

You have got to believe 100 percent with me cause you know this team dose not play together as a team! There is to much individual play and no te work!!! We need some of these guys to stand up and LEAD this team!!! To many premadonas on this team and not enought team players!! I agree with u as well Pouncey and Beal have got to get this team back on track or it's going to be a long season!!! AND THAT'S A FACT!!!

I suffered through this one and like always I have some random thoughts:

Wow Scott has a really nice football complex!

Beechwood looks like an over-sized Frosh team or a JV team at best. They are tiny.

I am not sure what Holy Cross was trying to do on offense. Running the ball straight at Beechwood was successful, throwing the ball all over the place was not. I understand working on your passing game but I felt like HC was more determined to work on their passing game rather than trying to win the game.

The Holy Cross receivers need to do a better job going after the football. The QB threw a lot of catch-able balls but I was disappointed in the effort of the receivers overall.

Mitchell Thomas from Beechwood played one heck of a game. I know Beechwood has a lot of injuries at RB but let me tell everyone Thomas can play. Tough, fast, good instincts, very impressive.

Holy Cross looked tired in the second half and was pretty much dominated by Beechwood.

Beechwood looked tired on defense when Holy Cross ran the ball straight at them. Hands on hips, bending over etc. Again I can't believe HC didn't do more of this.

Beechwood's QB Cam Cam Cam ran the ball really well.

Holy Cross has a long way to go but I can see them being fairly solid in the playoffs.

Beechwood looks like a very good Class A team but this could be Frankfort's year to get the Tigers. If not, I hate to think about another matchup with Mayfield.

Beechwood must have 25 coaches.

High school football on a Thursday night just isn't the same...

Again, wow was that football complex nice!

Ru you are correct, the facilities at Scott are just "silly". During the softball season I was given a tour of the locker rooms/indoor facility and indoor practice field....UNBELIEVABLE.

I think the Beechwood player to coach ratio is 2/1. When the team is on the field it seems there are as many coaches as players on the sideline. :lol:

I am happy for Scott, I know Scott has been a graveyard for coaches in the past and anything the system can do to help them is great.

What a bonus for Beechwood, I hope all the players and parents realize how lucky they are to have that many talented coaches volunteering their time to help Beechwood.

Did Scott upgrade their facilities recently or something? Also why was the game played at Scott?

I have never witnessed it but Brilz has a bad reputation for running his mouth/being a bully on the sidelines. Again, I have not witnessed it but I have heard about it on several occasions.

Does Brilz stick up for his players, absolutely, is he a bully, not a chance....class act all the way. Other coaches probably resent him because he is so good at what he does and he is sharp as a tack. I'll take Brilz over the vast majority of bozo's I've seen trolling the sidelines for other teams any day.

Beechwood looks like an over-sized Frosh team or a JV team at best. They are tiny.

I am not sure what Holy Cross was trying to do on offense. Running the ball straight at Beechwood was successful, throwing the ball all over the place was not. I understand working on your passing game but I felt like HC was more determined to work on their passing game rather than trying to win the game.

The Holy Cross receivers need to do a better job going after the football. The QB threw a lot of catch-able balls but I was disappointed in the effort of the receivers overall.

Mitchell Thomas from Beechwood played one heck of a game. I know Beechwood has a lot of injuries at RB but let me tell everyone Thomas can play. Tough, fast, good instincts, very impressive.

Holy Cross looked tired in the second half and was pretty much dominated by Beechwood.

Beechwood looked tired on defense when Holy Cross ran the ball straight at them. Hands on hips, bending over etc. Again I can't believe HC didn't do more of this.

Holy Cross has a long way to go but I can see them being fairly solid in the playoffs.

Beechwood looks like a very good Class A team but this could be Frankfort's year to get the Tigers. If not, I hate to think about another matchup with Mayfield.

Ru you are correct, the facilities at Scott are just "silly". During the softball season I was given a tour of the locker rooms/indoor facility and indoor practice field....UNBELIEVABLE.

I think the Beechwood player to coach ratio is 2/1. When the team is on the field it seems there are as many coaches as players on the sideline. :lol:

Scott did upgrade and its pretty sweet!!! And the game recap could have just said Beechwood opens up a can of....

Was their a thread on Scott's renovations that I over looked?

Congrats to Beechwood.

Did anyone else think there were late hits and/or cheap shots? I really didn't see anything unusual. There were a couple personal foul type penalties called on both teams and the refs were slow with the whistle too often for my liking. There are always plays in games where guys get too pumped up but I didn't see anything that would cause me to complain about it on here.

The most obvious penalty I saw over and over (that was never called) was delay of game. HC was taking 30-35 seconds but the refs never threw a flag. Holmes did it last week too but at least they got flagged a few times.

A big thumbs up on that.

Beechwood did make a change at center and went from the 270 pounder to the 180 pounder but it seemed to work tonight. The rest of the starting offensive line - 6'4" 230, 5'11" 230, 5'10" 230, 6'2" 235

I am not sure what Holy Cross was trying to do on offense. Running the ball straight at Beechwood was successful, throwing the ball all over the place was not.

They ran the ball to try and control the clock because they were effective and they wanted to limit possessions the way Beechwood was scoring.

I understand working on your passing game but I felt like HC was more determined to work on their passing game rather than trying to win the game.

I did not see that at all. Holy Cross ran the ball and ran it some more. They passed when they had to.

I did not see many drops on easily catchable balls. Pangallo is excellent. Gabbard looked good. McClendon has potential. Make those three your featured guys along with Pouncy and Beal and you have a very good skilled position crew.

I have my doubts about HC. I think their offense can get there. Their O-line was better than I expected and they have skilled players. Defense looks like a major, major problem.

The Tigers are getting better every week. They played most of the night tonight with no starters from last season on the field. As the season goes on, these guys get experience and the coaches and player learn what they are best at, they will be playoff ready.

See above.

I have never witnessed it but Brilz has a bad reputation for running his mouth/being a bully on the sidelines. Again, I have not witnessed it but I have heard about it on several occasions.

Now ... lets put this in its proper context ...

"I have never witnessed it but the Guru has a bad reputation for running his mouth/being a bully on his website.

Again, I have not witnessed it but I have heard about it on several occasions."

With that said ... I support your ability to speak you mind.

I respect the fact that you were honest (you heard something .. and stated that you have never witnessed it).

However ... the negative perception in the above statement will always outweigh the fact that you have never actually witnessed said bullying or the running of the mouth.

What is disturbing in society in general ... is the quickness of someone who is large in physical stature to be labeled as a bully .. is scary. It is rarely ever the truth .. and the potential harm to that person is never seriously considered.

With that said ... let me bring some facts to the table:

*Coach Brilz is 100% professional at all times (in 10 years ... I have heard a grand total of TWO (2 for those of you who are not Beechwood graduates) cuss words from him.

*The only time I have seen Coach Brilz fired up on the sideline ... are times when our kids are put in unsafe situations (and again ... the word here would be ANIMATED .. not running his mouth ... not bullying)

*Coach Brilz is the only former professional athlete that I have ever met ... who had the ability to relate to high school student athletes on their level. Coach Brilz is first and foremost a teacher of the game -- and to be able to teach high school athletes in a manner that is open--and not intimidating .. is again .. something that I have never experienced from a former professional athlete.

*Win, lose or draw ... Coach Brilz makes it a point to reach out to coaches and athletes on opposing teams .. to shake their hand, wish them well, point out great plays, great schemes/coaching, etc. (Which is funny considering the fact that there is always one coach who can't seem to shake hands after certain games.

At the end of the day .... there are very few people who could actually speak to what our coaches say on the sidelines (then again ... we apparently have a coach to player ratio of 2:1 .. which ... is pretty cool for our program) . which makes me wonder if this information came from the officials in our area. Our guys over here do a great job ... which becomes more obvious when you travel outside of our area. But .. if they (or anyone else for that matter) thinks certain coaches get fired up ... they need to travel to Ohio and stand on the sidelines for the first 5 minutes of a game over there. The worst things I have heard in the past 20 years in Kentucky are normal conversation over there.

With that said ... we all need to keep in mind that things that are "heard" but not "witnessed" probably need to die a quick death. 99 times out of a 100 ... those statements are wrong.

Edited by quickslick
Bringing more facts to the table!