An attempt to evaluate the possible trade market for the Reds...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the Reds OBP getting a ton better though. .300 would be a huge upgrade at this point. The Reds are last in the league by nearly 60 points at .197. Good Lord. Pierre would be a huge upgrade at this point. Votto would probably have 8-10 more RBI right now.

It might not have been you, but didn't we get into a debate before season on who the Reds should get in LF. You were for Ludwick, and I mentioned how I would rather have Cody Ross. Ross would have been a nice addition this year for the Reds in LF IMO, and has been playing pretty decent and at least beter than we have I believe before getting hurt this week.

(You might not have been the one I was talking to about this.)

I don't see the Reds OBP getting a ton better though. .300 would be a huge upgrade at this point. The Reds are last in the league by nearly 60 points at .197. Good Lord. Pierre would be a huge upgrade at this point. Votto would probably have 8-10 more RBI right now.

Pierre would have been nice as well.

^ Not sure if it was me or not. I somewhat agree with WS that Pierre won't continue this and I don't want to trade for him or anything like that but it would be nice to see that production at the top of the Reds lineup. I was only against Ross because I thought he was out of the Reds price range.

I would gladly take the .254 AVG with the 33 2B, 32 HR, 102 RBI and .347 OBP that he has averaged in his career...And too think that GABP should only help increase those numbers...Stubbs and Heisey are a wash with the only difference being Stubbs has more speed and was a top draft pick that is still young and someone the Padres may be interested in...I would gladly trade Stubbs and one of the Reds many Mid-Level Prospects for Quentin...

Quentin would have the best OBP on the Reds team other than Votto, Rolen and Hanigan...However we know Rolen is done and Hanigan hasn't had near the plate appearances of Quentin in his career...It's also interesting that Votto and Quentin average identical HR and RBI numbers in there careers...

Those 162 averages sure do look nice don't they? Of course it helps if the player actually gets anywhere near to playing 162 games a year. In the case of Quentin he has NEVER reached those 33 Doubles. In fact, he has only reached 30 one time. He's also only broken 30 homeruns and 100 RBIs one time. 162 game averages are useless when the player in question only averages 102 games per season and has never played in more than 131 games. The only relative 162 game averages are BA and OBP type numbers. Since his one great year in 2008 Quentin has a .248 BA and a .339 OBP.

I know that Harris and Pierre aren't the same player with the same role. Harris was signed as a utility infielder and played 2B and 3B with the Reds ... he never saw time in the outfield, even though he has some experience there.

Unless Pierre was suddenly converting to the infield, a little dicey given that he's left-handed, the comparison is invalid.

If you're going to compare Pierre to one of the current Reds, compare him to Ludwick and Heisey, the guys that play the same position.

And Pierre wouldn't have been a wise signing, at least for use as an everyday player. In the last seven years, he has put up a .334 OBP and .685 OPS ... that isn't productive.

The Reds have Valdez and Cairo to play around the infield, Harris was not needed...My point is for the same price range the Reds could have had a much more productive player...Pierre may not hold up he wasnt signed to play everyday but he is playing to well for the Phillies to bench along with injuries...Even if Pierre dropped to a .300 obp he is a better option than just about anyone the Reds have...I would have liked him via free agency, I wouldnt trade anything for him however

Those 162 averages sure do look nice don't they? Of course it helps if the player actually gets anywhere near to playing 162 games a year. In the case of Quentin he has NEVER reached those 33 Doubles. In fact, he has only reached 30 one time. He's also only broken 30 homeruns and 100 RBIs one time. 162 game averages are useless when the player in question only averages 102 games per season and has never played in more than 131 games. The only relative 162 game averages are BA and OBP type numbers. Since his one great year in 2008 Quentin has a .248 BA and a .339 OBP.

Even his down years look as good as anything the Reds can throw out there right now...I would think he would be even better playing in GABP half the time and being surrounded by Votto and Bruce...

Once again, Cozart won't hit enough to man 3B ... his recent struggles enforce that view. Cozart is a fine shortstop, and doesn't have very much value in the major leagues aside from that.

Pointless to even debate...It was a hypothetical situation I was discussing...The Reds wont be trading for another SS...

Even his down years look as good as anything the Reds can throw out there right now...I would think he would be even better playing in GABP half the time and being surrounded by Votto and Bruce...

GABP will do nothing to change the fact that he is injured for 1/4-1/3 of the season each year.

Hey you've adopted GT's...

Cute.

I know that Harris and Pierre aren't the same player with the same role. Harris was signed as a utility infielder and played 2B and 3B with the Reds ... he never saw time in the outfield, even though he has some experience there.

Unless Pierre was suddenly converting to the infield, a little dicey given that he's left-handed, the comparison is invalid.

If you're going to compare Pierre to one of the current Reds, compare him to Ludwick and Heisey, the guys that play the same position.

And Pierre wouldn't have been a wise signing, at least for use as an everyday player. In the last seven years, he has put up a .334 OBP and .685 OPS ... that isn't productive.

So far this year the average for the # 1 spot in the order is a .319 OBP and a .699 OPS

2011: .328-.727

2010: .329-.711

Pierre obviously supplies no power, but he could be useful for the Reds at the top of the order...

I'm not sure how you say his stats aren't productive when they are roughly the same as the MLB average for leadoff hitters.

Once again, Cozart won't hit enough to man 3B ... his recent struggles enforce that view. Cozart is a fine shortstop, and doesn't have very much value in the major leagues aside from that.

Why do you think that every 3B has to be a power hitter? If you get your dongs from another position you don't have to have a hammer playing 3B. Rolen certainly doesn't equate to a power hitter anymore.

Why do you think that every 3B has to be a power hitter? If you get your dongs from another position you don't have to have a hammer playing 3B. Rolen certainly doesn't equate to a power hitter anymore.
I didn't say anything about power, although Frazier is the Reds' best bet at 3B at the moment.

Cozart simply won't hit enough to be anything remotely better than an average 3B, and it would be a waste of his defensive skills.

So far this year the average for the # 1 spot in the order is a .319 OBP and a .699 OPS

2011: .328-.727

2010: .329-.711

Pierre obviously supplies no power, but he could be useful for the Reds at the top of the order...

I'm not sure how you say his stats aren't productive when they are roughly the same as the MLB average for leadoff hitters.

An "average" OBP for a leadoff hitter, combined with no power, perhaps the worst outfield arm in the majors ... that doesn't equate to anything resembling a productive player.