KHSAA Proposals

theguru

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some interesting proposals, there is a Highlands rule, a North Laurel rule, a Covington Holy Cross/Trinity/X rule, and several ones designed to make it hard on private schools.

Also, what is the deal with James Sexton from Eastern high school? That guy is on a warpath...

Link to the proposals

Someone is likely disgruntled at the fact that many people who chose to send their children to Trinity would otherwise go to Eastern.

I think Proposal 4 would be a good idea. If a kid plays high school basketball, for instance, when they're still in middle school, then they should have to play by the rules as if they were actually in high school. That is, if they don't enroll at the same high school the next year, and don't have a bona fide change of residence, then they should be ruled ineligible at their new high school for their freshman season, or one year from the time of enrollment.

In our region a few years ago, there was a 6'5 8th grader who was coming off the bench and playing quite a bit for his varsity basketball team. He transferred to another school in another county about 1/3 of the way through the season, but didn't move from his home county. He immediately was a factor for his new team, scoring in double figures in the first game he got in. That's not bad for an 8th grader. And because he was an 8th grader, he didn't have to go through the transfer papers and rulings that a high school student would had to.

In my opinion, if you play at the high school level while still in middle school, then you should be connected by KHSAA eligiblity rules to that school, unless there is a bona fide change of residence.

Proposal 4 would also stop high school coaches and boosters from scouting middle schools for talent as if they were college recruiters recruiting high school kids.

Interesting to see the proposal that says that one condition to waive the one-year sit for transfers is if BOTH principals (sending and receiving) agree. I would be surprised to see the KHSAA let that one go. I think that you may have two principals who are not well-versed on the nuances of transfers.

There are some interesting proposals, there is a Highlands rule, a North Laurel rule, a Covington Holy Cross/Trinity/X rule, and several ones designed to make it hard on private schools.

Also, what is the deal with James Sexton from Eastern high school? That guy is on a warpath...

Link to the proposals

Jim Sexton hates the Louisville Catholic schools. Did you catch the bomb he buried in proposal 10? If you aren't from a "feeder school" you can't receive financial aid. Thus public school kids can't apply for financial aid at a private school and still play sports. There is nothing in his proposal that prevents kids from a private school from applying to a public school and receiving a tuition free education and playing sports without penalty. The other part of his proposal limits financial aid to 75 percent. I don't think that this has much practical significance, but it is wrong. If you can limit it to 75 percent you can also limit it to 10 percent or 1 percent.

I don't have any problem with applying the transfer rules to the younger kids. I wouldn't let kids below high school play on the high school team at all in any sport. I would also extend the transfer rule to apply to kids that have participated in sports at any level, not just the varsity.

Looks like AAU is being targeted.

Does AAU b-ball start before the end of the school year? If so, players who are not seniors would not be allowed to play in any AAU games until after the school year has ended under Proposal 11.

I believe this rule is already in place in Ohio.

I don't think that James Sexton is proposing these on his own. What often happens with these rule proposals is that any area of athletic directors will appoint one person to make a number of proposals. The same thing happened two years ago when the Northern Kentucky ADs proposed a number of changes. One man, who was well known and knew what to put in the proposals was chosen to represent them.

One of the proposals at that time was to eliminate out of state residents from participating in KY sports. Funny that it is coming up again. That must be what you have terms the Covington Holy Cross rule. Maybe this time it will pass.

One of the proposals at that time was to eliminate out of state residents from participating in KY sports. Funny that it is coming up again. That must be what you have terms the Covington Holy Cross rule. Maybe this time it will pass.

My understanding is that Holy Cross has changed their own rules to not allow kids from Ohio to play IF they receive financial aid.

Jim Sexton hates the Louisville Catholic schools. Did you catch the bomb he buried in proposal 10? If you aren't from a "feeder school" you can't receive financial aid. Thus public school kids can't apply for financial aid at a private school and still play sports. There is nothing in his proposal that prevents kids from a private school from applying to a public school and receiving a tuition free education and playing sports without penalty. The other part of his proposal limits financial aid to 75 percent. I don't think that this has much practical significance, but it is wrong. If you can limit it to 75 percent you can also limit it to 10 percent or 1 percent.

I don't have any problem with applying the transfer rules to the younger kids. I wouldn't let kids below high school play on the high school team at all in any sport. I would also extend the transfer rule to apply to kids that have participated in sports at any level, not just the varsity.

But he's not on proposal 20??? I don't get it. :confused:

WHOA!!! Did anyone catch this sentence in proposal 20?(to eliminate private schools from state playoffs)

However, public schools will no longer have to face those "recruited" student-athletes in the state playoff competition.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this insinuating that they know recruiting is going on?

I think Proposal 4 would be a good idea. If a kid plays high school basketball, for instance, when they're still in middle school, then they should have to play by the rules as if they were actually in high school. That is, if they don't enroll at the same high school the next year, and don't have a bona fide change of residence, then they should be ruled ineligible at their new high school for their freshman season, or one year from the time of enrollment.

In our region a few years ago, there was a 6'5 8th grader who was coming off the bench and playing quite a bit for his varsity basketball team. He transferred to another school in another county about 1/3 of the way through the season, but didn't move from his home county. He immediately was a factor for his new team, scoring in double figures in the first game he got in. That's not bad for an 8th grader. And because he was an 8th grader, he didn't have to go through the transfer papers and rulings that a high school student would had to.

In my opinion, if you play at the high school level while still in middle school, then you should be connected by KHSAA eligiblity rules to that school, unless there is a bona fide change of residence.

Proposal 4 would also stop high school coaches and boosters from scouting middle schools for talent as if they were college recruiters recruiting high school kids.

If they play in your feeder program (and I mean the middle school that feeds to the high school - not going to other middle schools), I do not see why it is problem to go and watch them play at the middle school level. Is this not looking out for your future program.

My understanding is that Holy Cross has changed their own rules to not allow kids from Ohio to play IF they receive financial aid.

Couldn't you at least wait until they win something with the kids people complain about, until you name a rule after them??