I've got some problems with this week's BGP AAA rankings

jbwill2

Cantrall's football poll was released this week, and it was pretty laughable. In not wanting to be outdone with regard to absurdity, BGP has now released its new weekly AAA rankings. Wow!!!! The BGP "powers that be" must be hitting the sauce again. First off, when Bowling Green lost their first game to Saint X, they were not penalized for the loss. In fact, they were rewarded, being ranked first after that game. How in the heck did Highlands manage to fall in this poll, from second to fourth, by losing to Colerain??? I understand that the game was not close after halftime, with the 'Birds losing 14-45. But since CovCath and LexCath both leapfrogged Highlands in the BGP poll this week, and since BG has retained its top spot, am I to assume that the BGP pollsters believe that BG, CCH, and LexCath all would have played Colerain better than HHS did??? Is Highlands being punished for scheduling the defending Ohio D1 champ??? Is it fair to do that??? You guys are killing me!!! :scared: :scared:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cantrall's football poll was released this week, and it was pretty laughable. In not wanting to be outdone with regard to absurdity, BGP has now released its new weekly AAA rankings. Wow!!!! The BGP "powers that be" must be hitting the sauce again. First off, when Bowling Green lost their first game to Saint X, they were not penalized for the loss. In fact, they were rewarded, being ranked first after that game. How in the heck did Highlands manage to fall in this poll, from second to fourth, by losing to Colerain??? I understand that the game was not close after halftime, with the 'Birds losing 14-45. But since CovCath and LexCath both leapfrogged Highlands in the BGP poll this week, and since BG has retained its top spot, am I to assume that the BGP pollsters believe that BG, CCH, and LexCath all would have played Colerain better than HHS did??? Is Highlands being punished for scheduling the defending Ohio D1 champ??? Is it fair to do that??? You guys are killing me!!! :scared: :scared:

Since when have rankings ever meant anything outside of the BCS?

jb,

Another way of looking at this is CCH was rewarded for their much better showing against Moeller who played Colerain "even" in a scrimmage.

All the other teams you mentioned have been rewarded for playing tough competition and playing very well whereas HHS took one on the chin.

If you want to hang your hat on something I think you need to decide what is a quality loss?

Their poll had Bowling Green High losing two games....we have only lost one and that was against St X. Instead of being #2 in the AP poll, BGHS should be number one on the list. If they would have looked at the correct info., we might have been #1!

Besides, it is most important where you end the season, not where you begin it. I think that the BGP rankings are more accurate. Much time is spent looking at every possible angle when the rankings mods make their decisions. :thumb:

Polls in all honesty don't mean a hill of beans. All that matters is who comes to play on friday night. In high school polls are really kind of nuts because you never know about high school ft. ball. All I can say is go out and take care of business if you are ranked where you want to be or not.

Polls in all honesty don't mean a hill of beans. All that matters is who comes to play on friday night. In high school polls are really kind of nuts because you never know about high school ft. ball. All I can say is go out and take care of business if you are ranked where you want to be or not.

I agree...polls are more of a popularity contest than anything....I posted in another forum for volleyball...My Camels werent even ranked in the top 10 and they have beat 4 of the top 10 teams and another in a scrimmage.Like another poster said "its not where you begin but where you end."

Bowling Green played the AAAA team considered the best overall in the state and defending AAAA state champion and barely lost. I wouldn't have penalized them either.

While no rankings are perfect (read the arguments about the AP, Cantrell, etc) and noone agrees totally with ANY poll. I can assure you that from what I have seen, the BGP 'powers that be' put in a lot of thought and time, .. much more than the AP. AND, did you see any teams classified wrong by BGP? I don't think so. If so, let me know because I missed it.

A poll is an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Come on Jbwill2, do you think your 'power rankings' which only included teams that you chose were more accurate? IMHO, this is an early season poll and by the time district play begins, you will see a lot of movement!

So Guru and the boys just vote for who's "popular"? Interesting.
No way is that true! The BGP rankings are much closer to being right on the money than other "polls" I've seen. A lot more goes into the choices that the BGP people make than just popularity! :irked:

jbwill2 - I don't know why you're panicing just because the Birds shuffled around a few places in the rankings. They struggled against Colerain and exposed some weaknesses. Don't worry. They'll have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves and move up in people's opinions.

No matter where our teams are in the rankings of the different polls, we are close to the point (3-5 games into the season) where the teams are going to have to "earn" their way up or down.

Don't like where you are in the poll? PROVE "on the field" that you deserve better.

And, in the end, the playoffs are the "Final Poll." They are the only ones that really matter.

I agree with that...I am glad that they do them because they usually bring up good discussion and give me a indication on where teams stand but when it comes down to it the only thing that matters is when the games are played on Friday nights....the players have the final say.

I look at all the polls, and I think that BGP's are probably the most accurate. Cantrell's is a joke, and the AP is pretty much sportswriters who only watch one area of the state. I would guess that the one's on here are pretty much a collabarated effort from the mods who see all areas of the state. Keep up the good work. :thumb: