I've got some problems with this week's BGP AAA rankings

jbwill2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To reply to the original post ...

Each of the top four teams in Class 3A has a loss, and each one is to a very highly-ranked team. Only Highlands, however, had their heads handed to them on a platter. That doesn't mean I'm saying that Moeller and St. Xavier are necessarily comparable to Colerain.

From talking to people who were at PBS last weekend, I get the impression that Covington Catholic appeared to be a little ahead of Highlands right now. That also takes into account the belief that Colerain isn't necessarily head and shoulders above the rest of Cincinnati as they were a year ago.

In reality, the Highlands-St. Xavier should give us a much better barometer of where the Bluebirds are in comparison to Bowling Green and Lexington Catholic.

Cantrall's football poll was released this week, and it was pretty laughable. In not wanting to be outdone with regard to absurdity, BGP has now released its new weekly AAA rankings. Wow!!!! The BGP "powers that be" must be hitting the sauce again. First off, when Bowling Green lost their first game to Saint X, they were not penalized for the loss. In fact, they were rewarded, being ranked first after that game. How in the heck did Highlands manage to fall in this poll, from second to fourth, by losing to Colerain??? I understand that the game was not close after halftime, with the 'Birds losing 14-45. But since CovCath and LexCath both leapfrogged Highlands in the BGP poll this week, and since BG has retained its top spot, am I to assume that the BGP pollsters believe that BG, CCH, and LexCath all would have played Colerain better than HHS did??? Is Highlands being punished for scheduling the defending Ohio D1 champ??? Is it fair to do that??? You guys are killing me!!! :scared: :scared:

JB since you have such a strong opinion on where Highlands is ranked, how did you think they looked last week? How about the other games? :banana:

Well, if nothing else, the BGP polls gave us another thread topic during the season. Myself, I'm glad to see the poll.......it gives a pretty accurate indication of where teams are and adjusts weekly based upon results of the previous week.

Not bad for what I pay for it either (cheaper than a newspaper subscription)!!!

A poll should reflect a proper ranking of teams. It shouldn't have much to do with wins and losses, per se. A team should not necessarily be ranked highly just because of its outstanding record. The team ranked first in AAA should be ranked first ONLY if it's the belief of the pollsters that the first-place team could beat every other AAA team more than 50% of the time (i.e. if the top team played the second-best team in a 10 game series, the top team would be expected to win at least 6 of those games).

Are the BGP pollsters of the opinion that, right now, there are three other teams in AAA (BG, CCH, and LexCath) who could beat HHS more than 50% of the time? How did you guys come to this decision?

JB since you have such a strong opinion on where Highlands is ranked, how did you think they looked last week? How about the other games? :banana:

That's right, OB, rub it in!!!!!!! :cry:

I'm just tryin' to give some love to the Blue and White!!! Come on OB, don't forget where you graduated from when it comes time to cast your vote in the BGP poll next week!!! :D

First off, when Bowling Green lost their first game to Saint X, they were not penalized for the loss. In fact, they were rewarded, being ranked first after that game.

Look on the bright side, maybe the Birds will move up after they lose to X.

I suspect I've seen Highlands about as many times as you've seen Bowling Green this year!!!!!! :D

jb, the BGP poll is definitely not a "homer" job where the voters play up their own team. So don't expect Oldbird, or anyone else, to vote for their home team ahead of a more deserving team. If that is what you want, then check out a copy of the AP poll.

As far as your idea of what a poll should be, I think you are close. In the BGP poll, teams are ranked according to where we think they are this week. If somebody is ranked ahead of your team, it is because the voters think that team is better than yours at this point in the season. Your team's performance, personnel and schedule are discussed and all factor into it.

Generally...

We use everything and when the sample size of games isn't that great, yes, how teams played in scrimmages (and what type of scrimmage was played) isl factored in.

You noted in another thread that little LCA creamed S. Oldham in it's 2nd scrimmage (47-14). How, then, could S. Oldham not be penalized in the 3A rankings (they are currently ranked 10th in 3A)? Is LCA THAT good?