I've got some problems with this week's BGP AAA rankings

jbwill2

They are just one of the things that are considered. This is the fourth week of the season as of Friday. I would say that scrimmages are not holding the weight that they once did IMO. This is starting to sound like a tissue party. Before you complain how we got it wrong next week, lets see what happens this Friday night.

I'll stop yapping right now if you can seriously justify LexCath being ranked over Highlands. Keep in mind that BGP had HHS ranked higher than LexCath going into this past week, so you can't say that it was because LexCath played Saint X such a good game (since HHS was placed above LexCath EVEN after LC played Saint X so well).

My only conclusion is that BGP pollsters believe LexCath would have played Colerain better than HHS did... this is the only possible explanation for the recent rankings change.

So... what evidence is there that LexCath would play Colerain better???

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If so much weight is going to be placed on preseason scrimmages, with regard to where teams are ranked, then the KHSAA might as well go ahead and consider these "scrimmages" as regular games. Really, if the BGP pollsters are using them as a measuring stick for ranking teams, then what exactly is the difference between a preseason scrimmage and a non-district regular season game??? I don't think anyone uses preseason NFL scrimmages to determine NFL power rankings. If we're going to count scrimmages, then we all might as well call them what they are... non-district regular season games.

Probably, it is not wise to use these scrimmages as a measuring stick, because the purpose of a scrimmage is not always to win, but TO WORK ON ASPECTS OF YOUR GAME WHICH NEED IMPROVING IN A FORMAT THAT DOES NOT COUNT.

You are either not reading or refusing to comprehend.

It must be the latter! :D

And just for the record, it's not like I'm actually mad that the 'Birds were knocked down a few spots in the rankings. I must admit that I was shocked to see them put at fourth, however, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

Also, I would like it to be known that I LOVE BGP in every possible way. It's the perfect forum for HS sports, and I wouldn't change a thing about it!!!

One last comment: the purpose of polls is really to open up debate. Since every team doesn't play every other team, it is impossible to compare teams with perfect accuracy. Therefore, no poll can be perfect in everyone's eyes, and they exist to have debate like we are having. God I love it!!!!!

If we had known in week2 how week3 would play out, I'll bet HHS wouldn't have been ranked ahead of LexCath. Sometimes teams play up to your expectations, sometimes they play down, sometimes they surprise you sometimes they disappoint. Therefore every week you are forced to consider not only who should move up or down based on this weeks performance, but also where did we miss the boat last week and who did we have in the wrong place.

It evolves.

And for the record, LexCath vs Colerain has nothing to do with our rankings, that is a stretch to even suggest.

Really, if the BGP pollsters are using them as a measuring stick for ranking teams, then what exactly is the difference between a preseason scrimmage and a non-district regular season game??? I don't think anyone uses preseason NFL scrimmages to determine NFL power rankings. If we're going to count scrimmages, then we all might as well call them what they are... non-district regular season games.

Probably, it is not wise to use these scrimmages as a measuring stick, because the purpose of a scrimmage is not always to win, but TO WORK ON ASPECTS OF YOUR GAME WHICH NEED IMPROVING IN A FORMAT THAT DOES NOT COUNT.

Tell me this: Why do coaches play scrimmage games? Is it to assess their playsers and guage the strengths and shortcomings? Hmm...sounds like a scrimmage might just be a fine place to pick up some insight into how a team measures up! Of course, that would mean you'd have to actually attend the scrimmages and pay attention to the scrimmages and be familliar with the players you were watching. I can assure you that these rankings were based on information gathered by people who did just that!

Tell me this: Why do coaches play scrimmage games? Is it to assess their playsers and guage the strengths and shortcomings? Hmm...sounds like a scrimmage might just be a fine place to pick up some insight into how a team measures up! Of course, that would mean you'd have to actually attend the scrimmages and pay attention to the scrimmages and be familliar with the players you were watching. I can assure you that these rankings were based on information gathered by people who did just that!

Harrison County must have done pretty darned well in their scrimmages to warrant that preseason number 3 ranking, then.

Had Highlands played Colerain a little closer (like LexCath did St. X), then I would have considered keeping them in their spot. Having seen Bowling Green play twice and St. X once, and knowing what Lexington Catholic did against St. X and seeing what Bowling Green did against St. X, I have no problem justifying Bowling Green as the top team. And CovCath playing the #4 team in Ohio to ten points is more impressive to me than losing to the #1 team by 30 points.

Harrison County must have done pretty darned well in their scrimmages to warrant that preseason number 3 ranking, then.

You're taking a myopic view of the whole process. Scrimmages are a page--maybe a chapter--not the whole book. There is much that goes into the BGP Rankings. It's more art than science and nothing is perfect. If it was, there'd be no reason to play the games. We'd just pick the winners and hand out the trophies. :cool:

Something tells me that given the lack of any support for my position I'm being given by the HHS faithful, I must be way off base in thinking that Highlands is good at this point in the season. Man, it's a good thing that HHS' district only has four teams, or I'd be pretty worried about them even making the playoffs right now!!!!

Something tells me that given the lack of any support for my position I'm being given by the HHS faithful, I must be way off base in thinking that Highlands is good at this point in the season. Man, it's a good thing that HHS' district only has four teams, or I'd be pretty worried about them even making the playoffs right now!!!!
Don't worry. They looked pretty good in the scrimmage. :D

Come on JB, you know if it was an argument I deemed worthy that I'd be in. Unfortunately, I put zero faith in any polls. Whether it's for high school football, college football, college basketball or the President. They are either guesses or skewed, IMO.

jbwill2,

Polls are just opinions after all....everyone has one. Because you don't agree with this week's, you have every right to comment on it, which you've done. I didn't believe Boyle Co. should be rated #1 at the start of the season and I commented as such. Just like I was told then, the ratings are now more closely resembling actuality....give the poll time and it will show the true strength of your Bluebirds team.

JB, frankly right now they are not the best team. By the end of the season when playoff time comes around will be a true reading for this team. They are young and still not clicking on all cylinders just yet. Most BIRDS fans really only care about the rankings that come out in December. As they keep getting more experience they will be there at years end. Go Birds.