I've got some problems with this week's BGP AAA rankings

jbwill2

I agree but I think that HHS has a harder schedule than CCH does! IMO we play no 1A teams!

NCC could take quite a few 2,3,or4A schools IMO. They have as much talent as just about anybody. They are not a good case for your harder schedule argument IMO.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NCC could take quite a few 2,3,or4A schools IMO. They have as much talent as just about anybody. They are not a good case for your harder schedule argument IMO.

Exactly, NCC can probably beat most schools in NKY no matter what the class.

How do you balance out this week that the Birds play a 4 A team and Cov Cath plays a 1A team? If we both win?

If you both win, it obviously will be based on the scores. Considering most would agree X is better than NCC, Highlands victory would carry more weight. Although if CCH drills NCC, it will probably be considered a wash, unless Highlands drills X, which I doubt will happen.

If you both win, it obviously will be based on the scores. Considering most would agree X is better than NCC, Highlands victory would carry more weight. Although if CCH drills NCC, it will probably be considered a wash, unless Highlands drills X, which I doubt will happen.

This is a great anology of the debates which occur every weekend before the BGP Rankings are finalized and released for publication. By having a wide diversity of knowledgeable people participate, representing all the geographical regions in Kentucky, "homer" sympathies are eliminated. Votes are not merely cast, tabulated, and then published. You must defend your position utilizing all known variables. As the guru has pointed out, this does include performance in scrimmages, which early in the season is much more meaningful than shere speculation. It is for these reasons that I feel that are no other published high school rankings which can hold a candle to those produced by BluegrassPreps. :thumb:

Keep in mind Highlands played Beechwood even AT BEST in their scrimmmage!

Well heck, let's rank Beechwood ahead of Highlands too. I really don't believe you can judge teams by what they did in a scrimmage. Too many factors to consider to get a good feel for a teams strenghts and weaknesses. But hey, more power to those that put a lot of weight in to a scrimmage.

Well heck, let's rank Beechwood ahead of Highlands too. I really don't believe you can judge teams by what they did in a scrimmage. Too many factors to consider to get a good feel for a teams strenghts and weaknesses. But hey, more power to those that put a lot of weight in to a scrimmage.

Where do you place more validity? Case #1: The fans of two teams who have not yet played any regular games, let alone against each other, argue and debate about who is better. Case #2: The two teams, which have not yet played a regular season game, scrimmage against each other and one outperforms the other. Personally, I would place much more creedance in the scrimmage result than verbal speculation. :cool:

IMO, :D a scrimage is just a practice with another team. :p With no set starters on offence and defence. Not until late in the pre season does any team know their starters, and by then they don't play the whole game! :fire: Some game had no special teams at all! :argue:

Based on this you are still in denial that seeing the two teams on the same field perform (in whatever manner is chosen for the scrimmage), is less meaningful than verbal speculation...hard to understand your logic. I am not saying that scrimmages are the where all of everything, but on the football evolutionary chain they are above verbal speculation and below a regular season game. :argue:

That's right, OB, rub it in!!!!!!! :cry:

I'm just tryin' to give some love to the Blue and White!!! Come on OB, don't forget where you graduated from when it comes time to cast your vote in the BGP poll next week!!! :D

The Blue and White got some love...Colonel Blue and Knight white!!

Where do you place more validity? Case #1: The fans of two teams who have not yet played any regular games, let alone against each other, argue and debate about who is better. Case #2: The two teams, which have not yet played a regular season game, scrimmage against each other and one outperforms the other. Personally, I would place much more creedance in the scrimmage result than verbal speculation. :cool:

If so much weight is going to be placed on preseason scrimmages, with regard to where teams are ranked, then the KHSAA might as well go ahead and consider these "scrimmages" as regular games. Really, if the BGP pollsters are using them as a measuring stick for ranking teams, then what exactly is the difference between a preseason scrimmage and a non-district regular season game??? I don't think anyone uses preseason NFL scrimmages to determine NFL power rankings. If we're going to count scrimmages, then we all might as well call them what they are... non-district regular season games.

Probably, it is not wise to use these scrimmages as a measuring stick, because the purpose of a scrimmage is not always to win, but TO WORK ON ASPECTS OF YOUR GAME WHICH NEED IMPROVING IN A FORMAT THAT DOES NOT COUNT.

Probably, it is not wise to use these scrimmages as a measuring stick, because the purpose of a scrimmage is not always to win, but TO WORK ON ASPECTS OF YOUR GAME WHICH NEED IMPROVING IN A FORMAT THAT DOES NOT COUNT.

What do rankings determine again? Excuse me if I can't help but laugh at an HHS fan clamoring for MORE respect...

If so much weight is going to be placed on preseason scrimmages, with regard to where teams are ranked, then the KHSAA might as well go ahead and consider these "scrimmages" as regular games. Really, if the BGP pollsters are using them as a measuring stick for ranking teams, then what exactly is the difference between a preseason scrimmage and a non-district regular season game??? I don't think anyone uses preseason NFL scrimmages to determine NFL power rankings. If we're going to count scrimmages, then we all might as well call them what they are... non-district regular season games.

They are just one of the things that are considered. This is the fourth week of the season as of Friday. I would say that scrimmages are not holding the weight that they once did IMO. This is starting to sound like a tissue party. Before you complain how we got it wrong next week, lets see what happens this Friday night.

What do rankings determine again? Excuse me if I can't help but laugh at an HHS fan clamoring for MORE respect...

Rankings should be based on how good teams are relative to one another. If Highlands wanted to "win" the scrimmage with Beechwood, then they could have played throw and catch with Chase Cecil and Ben Guidugli all day long. I suspect the reason they didn't do this was because Dale and Co. knew that other aspects of the offense needed more working on before the games started counting. Oh, wait a minute... according to BGP, these scrimmages do count. Opps! :D