How was the attendance for the State finals?

I was in Hershey, Pa for their finals. Overall their attendance was up. Pa. does thing different than most places I know of. They put all of the games live on TV, a station that every TV in the state gets and this keeps their numbers down. The state makes it available for everyone knowing this will keep most fans at home. In talking to a lot of people in the media tent the last two years, the PIAA puts the athlete and the fans first and they say this is just one way they do it.

In Ohio I read where the attendance was down a little over 15%.

I was in Hershey, Pa for their finals. Overall their attendance was up. Pa. does thing different than most places I know of. They put all of the games live on TV, a station that every TV in the state gets and this keeps their numbers down. The state makes it available for everyone knowing this will keep most fans at home. In talking to a lot of people in the media tent the last two years, the PIAA puts the athlete and the fans first and they say this is just one way they do it.

Hershey, PA isn't really a centralized location. It's a 4-5 hour trip from the western and Northwestern part of the state. Because of that, I don't know that it's the feed that keeps the attendance down. Like many other states, attendance in PA will be highly dependent on who is playing. If it's a team from southeast Pa (including Philly), or the Allentown/Bethlehem or York/Harrisburg area, attendance will be very good. If it's from Pittsburgh, or northwest PA, it probably won't be as good. You've also got a good chance of weather being an issue and affecting attendance in PA.

In looking at the teams that played in the 7 classes in PA, only 4 of the 14 teams were making long trips from the western part of the state. All the other teams were less than 2 hours away from Hershey, so to me, it's no surprise their attendance was up this year.

Alabama Super 7 Championship games had a total of 42,998 in attendance with 6A Oxford with biggest crowd.