Zion Williamson out for the rest of summer league.

Two words: Load Management.

For some reason, load management became a big discussion topic this year. Why? Load management has been a topic for several years. Popovich has done load management on key players for maybe 5 years, even longer. The commissioner has even addressed the issue about players skipping games over the past few years. Why is everyone acting like this is some new issue?

For some reason, load management became a big discussion topic this year. Why? Load management has been a topic for several years. Popovich has done load management on key players for maybe 5 years, even longer. The commissioner has even addressed the issue about players skipping games over the past few years. Why is everyone acting like this is some new issue?

This isn’t an issue for me at all. Hate the thought of going to a game and the superstars aren’t playing, but I don’t have a problem with guys getting the rest they need, and I don’t go to games very often. Might be time to condense the season honestly...

I never expected him to play more than a handful of minutes this summer.

I was a little surprised he played any minutes.

This isn’t an issue for me at all. Hate the thought of going to a game and the superstars aren’t playing, but I don’t have a problem with guys getting the rest they need, and I don’t go to games very often. Might be time to condense the season honestly...

I am ok with it too. My point is people act like Kawhi invented this and now it is suddenly going to start happening more. Load management has been happening for years.

I never expected him to play more than a handful of minutes this summer.

Agreed. Summer league seems pointless for stars. How do they benefit? Playing with teammates who won’t be teammates in the season and against opponents who won’t be opponents in the fall.

Agreed. Summer league seems pointless for stars. How do they benefit? Playing with teammates who won’t be teammates in the season and against opponents who won’t be opponents in the fall.

Your point is accurate, but some of the Knicks summer roster, the team Zion faced, will not only play this season, but start, and Mitchell Robinson is a darling pick to make a leap toward stardom. The exception, not the rule obviously.

With Zion, "load management" can have more than one meaning. He needs to get in the gym and lose some of his "load". It looks like he has been eating a lot more than working out since the end of the college hoops season. He has always been big obviously but it looks like he has gained about 20 lbs in the last few months to me.

With Zion, "load management" can have more than one meaning. He needs to get in the gym and lose some of his "load". It looks like he has been eating a lot more than working out since the end of the college hoops season. He has always been big obviously but it looks like he has gained about 20 lbs in the last few months to me.
I think him sitting the remainder of Summer League had more to do with him being out of shape than his knee bruise. I never got the sense he was hurt or couldn't play. But the dude is at risk being near that 300 pound mark.

I noted this through the regular season, but at 285 pounds (many think he is more than that now), that makes Zion the second heaviest player in the NBA behind Boban (7'3" at 296 pounds). That is not healthy or natural to have that level of explosiveness and expect to last at that weight.

Pelicans GM David Griffin recently said that Zion’s conditioning played a big part in them pulling him out of Summer League. He said he showed up to New Orleans heavy and hasn’t played any meaningful basketball since March. They are getting him a nutritionist and will be focusing on his conditioning and diet before training camp starts.

They better. He’s huge.

And still walking into 360 windmills in the layup line. I’d love to see him playing at 270.

Pelicans GM David Griffin recently said that Zion’s conditioning played a big part in them pulling him out of Summer League. He said he showed up to New Orleans heavy and hasn’t played any meaningful basketball since March. They are getting him a nutritionist and will be focusing on his conditioning and diet before training camp starts.

They better. He’s huge.

And still walking into 360 windmills in the layup line. I’d love to see him playing at 270.

How much is he weighing in at right now?