QOTD: Would you support your most hated enemy, if they drafted your favorite player?

Moreso than other leagues, NFL fans of every team have a most hated rival(s)...teams their fans will never root for. For me it's the Niners and Seahawks, for many Bengals fans it's the Steelers, for the Redskins it's the Cowboys and so on.

So here is the question: If your favorite college player is drafted by the team you hate the most, do you start rooting for them?

Example: @TheDeuce loves Lamar Jackson (and rightfully so) but what if the Patriots, Cowboys, Bengals, Browns, Ravens or some other team hated by Steelers fans were to draft him?

I loved Randall Cobb and when he became a Packer I became a fan. However, I didn't hate them to begin with so that's not a good comparison.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not drafted because I don't really follow college football that close, but acquired, yes. I don't really hate any team (I guess the Colts and Broncos would be the closest), but if Tom Brady ever ended up in one of those spots, I'd become a Colts or Broncos fan until he was no longer there.

While I can't say that I have a favorite college player, I do have a favorite college team. And it's been absolutely crushing to see several former OSU players get taken by Pittsburgh (Vrabel, Holmes, Heyward, Shazier, etc.)in the past 20 years or so. But will never for the Steelers based upon that. Ever.

No way. Like CSF said I would never root for the Steelers no matter how many Buckeyes they have. Doesn’t mean I root against the former Buckeyes as individuals now I just root against their team success. I am loyal to my teams not the players.

I don't really hate any NFL team (NHL? That's another story.).

I normally hate everything Miami, but how can you root against a bunch of innocent little dolphins?

As long as they are not playing the Bucs, I root for any team that has a Bull or a Wildcat on the roster, even Atlanta.

Moreso than other leagues, NFL fans of every team have a most hated rival(s)...teams their fans will never root for. For me it's the Niners and Seahawks, for many Bengals fans it's the Steelers, for the Redskins it's the Cowboys and so on.

So here is the question: If your favorite college player is drafted by the team you hate the most, do you start rooting for them?

Example: @TheDeuce loves Lamar Jackson (and rightfully so) but what if the Patriots, Cowboys, Bengals, Browns, Ravens or some other team hated by Steelers fans were to draft him?

I loved Randall Cobb and when he became a Packer I became a fan. However, I didn't hate them to begin with so that's not a good comparison.

This is a great question.

In my experiences it depends upon the connection to the player and the deepness of a connection to the NFL team. QBs often have a deeper connection with fan bases, so their allegiances most certainly will go with that player. Take Carson Wentz for example. He is beloved as a NDSU graduate in the state of North Dakota and northwest Minnesota... both areas that root for the Vikings, traditionally. He goes to Philly, the fans went with him. When Philly played Minnesota last (2016-2017) season, they rooted for the Eagles. Wentz gets hurt, they rooted for the Vikings in this year's playoffs. The Wentz connection in Bison land is so deep, North Dakota was the only state (outisde of the New England area) rooting for the Patriots in the Superbowl, per a USA Today poll, because of fear it would threaten Wentz's reign as the Eagles' QB. Fans are fickle. Pro sports teams are like stocks.