What do you gun hunt with?

I had this discussion this weekend. My eyes are starting to fail me so I'm only going to hunt with a gun with a scope. May use the trusty 30.06. It is kinda thick where I hunt. I have a 7MM and .270 but usually don't use them on my farm. May take down the AR and will also take a pistol to hunt in case I get a buck early. I wouldn't mind taking a doe with a pistol.

It's good to have options.

Depends on the situation and my mood :D

I like seeing the .30-30 comments and I second the LEVERevolution ammo. There's been more deer killed with a .30-30 lever gun by a wide margin than anything else in history. There is a reason for that and I have an old mid 80's Marlin 336 that is a unequaled for a short range gun in the woods or brush. I don't hunt with it a whole lot, but I do on occasion. Plus it is fun to shoot and I can pretend I'm a cowboy. I used to shoot a Remington 7400 in .270 that I honestly never really liked. I have a 1972 Remington 700 in .30-06 I am fond of and a sweet Winchester Model 70 XTR .30-06 from the mid 80's that is a tack driver. Recently I bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .270 that I am excited to try out. I once had a Savage 110 that was a really nice hunting gun. I can't remember why I got rid of it, it was a long time ago, but I wish I never had.

I'm from Ohio, so I grew up hunting with a shotgun. It wasn't until I went to Morehead that I was able to find someone to let me hunt KY. I used a Marlin 30-30 for years that my grandpa gave me when he passed. I love that gun. Since I have gotten my wife into hunting, I bought a Remington 700 in a .270. My wife uses the 30-30 now. It's a great gun for a woman or a smaller person. I've still never had a deer run over 50 yards after it's been hit with that 30-30.

I'm from Ohio, so I grew up hunting with a shotgun. It wasn't until I went to Morehead that I was able to find someone to let me hunt KY. I used a Marlin 30-30 for years that my grandpa gave me when he passed. I love that gun. Since I have gotten my wife into hunting, I bought a Remington 700 in a .270. My wife uses the 30-30 now. It's a great gun for a woman or a smaller person. I've still never had a deer run over 50 yards after it's been hit with that 30-30.

I used to hunt Ohio all the time. Mostly bow hunting but I had a Remington 1100 20 ga that I gun hunted with. Gun season in southern OH was a trip. Not too bad opening day but then the truckloads of deer drivers would come through and it was Katy bar the door.

It's been years since I've been deer hunting but in the past I've always used a 30-06 or a 30-30. I picked up a Ruger .44 Carbine last year though and it has me itching to get back out to hunt. For such a heavy round it's very accurate in the 50-75 yard range, which is an ideal range for my local area.