2A Game of the Week: #1 Danville at #3 Lexington Christian Academy

Who gets the win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

Every year, when the schedules are released, there are certain games that immediately stand out as must-see. This year, we had Trinity vs. St. X, Mayfield vs. Corbin, Belfry vs. Johnson Central, and DeSales vs. CAL, just to name a few. This week's 2A Game of the Week certainly falls into the category of a must-see game. Anytime you get highly ranked, unbeaten, district rivals locking horns this late in the season, it's big deal.

This will be the fourth year in a row that this match-up will serve as the de facto district championship game, with the Admirals winning in 2014 and 2015, and Lexington Christian Academy taking the district last year. Danville and LCA met twice last season. Once in the aforementioned LCA district title clinching win, and again for the regional championship a few weeks later, with the Ads getting a measure of revenge on their way to Bowling Green. Both encounters were high scoring and hotly contested. With many of the same names and faces for both teams back from last year, this contest should be no different.

We'll start with the top ranked Danville Admirals (9-0)… Clay Clevenger's squad boasts about as much speed as any team in the state. Quarterback Zach Thornton leads an offense averaging 37 ppg. Thornton stepped in to try and fill the large shoes of Zack Dampier, and has more than held his own, passing for 1,392 yards and 20 touchdowns with only 4 interceptions. He's also added an additional 238 yards and 5 scores on the ground. D'Mauriae Vancleave (520 yards, 5 TDs), David Walker (241 yards, 3 TDs), and Jaleel Warren (403 yards, 8 TDs) have been the primary targets in the passing game. Running Back Don Harris (679 yards, 9 TDs) and Mr. Versatility Vancleave (458 yards, 6 TDs) spearhead the Ads running game behind a strong offensive line featuring Pierce Haynes, Ryan Jackson, Isaiah Singleton, Kishon Bartleson, and Shawn Martinez. Defensively, Christian Hill anchors the D-line, while the trio of Don Harris, Darrian Bell, and Chase Tandy make plays sideline to sideline from the linebacker position. Vancleave, Walker, and Tanner Ford patrol the secondary, and are more than capable of turning defense into offense in the blink of an eye. Vancleave is also a game changer on special teams, as evidenced by his punt return touchdown against Middlesboro.

For all talk of Danville's speed and athletic ability, LCA (8-0) isn't exactly a slouch in those areas themselves. The high flying Eagles offense comes in averaging 52 points and over 500 yards per game. QB Logan Nieves is the catalyst for those numbers, with 1,586 yards passing and 18 touchdowns. Nieves teams up with bruising running back Dillon Wheatley to form the most productive rushing duo in 2A. Wheatley has run through, over, and around defenders this year to the tune of 1,086 yards and 19 touchdowns, while Nieves has nearly matched him with 864 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground. The quartet of Drayden Burton, Caelan Lebryk, Wade Drake, and Dearious Smith make for a strong receiving corps, combining for over 1,400 yards and 17 touchdowns. Graham and Walker Parks, Wyatt Southall, Hayden Kennedy, and Ben Whitman comprise a big, agile offensive line. The Parks brothers, Southall, Whitman, Chris Zaccarelli, and Neal Dickey rotate on the D-line. Kaleb Bolton anchors the middle of the defense from his inside backer position, flanked outside by Blane Hardin, Will McClurg, and Jayden Barnhardt. The third level of the defense is led by Lebryk, Josh McClurg, Jed Green, and Burton, who's returned two fumbles for touchdowns.

The winner here claims the district title, and perhaps more importantly, home field advantage for a possible (and highly likely) regional championship rematch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to this one. 2 very evenly matched teams. I do feel that both teams offenses are better than there defenses, which likely means a high scoring affair, but, it'll likely come down to who turns it over less and who can get a few more stops or at least a stop down the stretch.. LCA averaging 52 a game is impressive, for sure, but, I don't see them getting that against the Ad defense, but, I do think they'll do enough to come away with a win... LCA 41 Danville 35

LCA has way too many weapons for Danville to defend. Danville's secondary isn't that great, and a banged up Don Harris makes it a long night for Danville. Danville's QB is to inconsistent, and a game like this every possession is importan. LCA will score, I dont think Danville can match score for score with them. LCA 35 Danville 21

I will say this Danville has also been looking for this game for a while. LCA hasn't played a defense like the one the ads are capable of playing. I also think cleverer knows how to beat LCA after the loss to them last year in regular season. It still doesn't change my opinion I think the Ads may make sure they have a full deck of cards for the one that matters.