Belfry/Corbin: What Do You Think?

gchs_uk9

After beating Whitley County, Alcoa (TN), and Pulaski County to open the season, Corbin fell at 1A #1 Beechwood, 36-29, falling to #2 in Class 3A in the process.

After losing their opener to Huntington (WV), Belfry defeated both Bryan Station and Newport Central Catholic on the road, improving to #1 in Class 3A.

Have you seen enough thus far to have Belfry ahead of Corbin? Was a home loss to Huntington better than a road loss to Beechwood? Which team has the better wins? Ultimately, do you agree with the ranking?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Corbin's two wins are better than Belfry's.

Comparing their respective losses is a tough call, though. Corbin made a long road trip and lost to a great team. Belfry lost to a great team after said team made the long road trip. That seems to favor Corbin, but I think Huntington is probably a little better than Beechwood.

I've got Belfry back at #1 for the time being. But the margin between the two looks razor thin right now.

I would put Belfry and #1.

Not trying to hijacke gchs but if you are looking for "impressive losses", where does Boyle fit into that category. Corbin was beaten badly in the 2nd half and mounted a late comeback. Boyle was tie with Danville 7-7 and lost on a last second field goal of 40+ yards. I appreciate how good Beechwood must be but Danville (and their other 2A buddies) are ruling a lot of roost right now and Boyle was very close to defeating them at Danville.

Not trying to hijacke gchs but if you are looking for "impressive losses", where does Boyle fit into that category.

I know Calpreps isn't everything, but I'm using them for this list of best wins for Belfry, Corbin, and we'll throw Boyle, Etown, and Central in, since they all have one loss.

1. Corbin over Alcoa (TN)

2. Boyle County over Wayne County

3. Elizabethtown over Franklin-Simpson

4. Central over Fern Creek

5. Corbin over Pulaski County

6. Central over Manual

7. Corbin over Whitley County

8. Elizabethtown over North Hardin

9. Belfry over Newport Central Catholic

10. Belfry over Bryan Station

Ranking of teams that have beat these five:

1. Christian Academy-Louisville (Elizabethtown)

2. Danville (Boyle County)

3. Huntington, WV (Belfry)

4. Beechwood (Corbin)

5. Ballard (Central)

First off, I am a loyal BW fan that was elated we were able to beat the Corbin Redhounds this past week. Corbin was very impressive and their QB Sizemore is very big, strong, and has a great touch. That being said, until Belfry loses to a 3A Ky team, I would have to give them the nod. Why? Haywood, simple as that. To quote some old coach turned broadcaster..."He can take his players and beat your players, and he can take your players and beat his players." Kind of says it all.

Here's the funny thing in my mind...

Right now I think Corbin would beat Belfry head to head

At the same time I don't think Beechwood stays within two scores of Belfry.

I also don't think Corbin beats Huntington with the speed the Highlanders had.

All about match-ups.

Here's the funny thing in my mind...

Right now I think Corbin would beat Belfry head to head

At the same time I don't think Beechwood stays within two scores of Belfry.

I also don't think Corbin beats Huntington with the speed the Highlanders had.

All about match-ups.

Why would Beechwood not stay within two scores of Belfry?

Why would Beechwood not stay within two scores of Belfry?

As I said, all about Matchups

What Beechwood does well plays perfectly into Belfry's strengths. Belfry is better suited for Beechwood's offensive style and personnel more than a Huntington or Johnson Central that can neutralize Belfry's front 7 with their shear size and then have explosive playmakers outside who can bust the big play. Davis and Castleman are very good backs, but neither are what I would consider elite athletes. Burch is a fantastic and accurate QB but he isn't going to hurt you with his feet.

What Belfry does best is a tougher matchup for Beechwood's "weaknesses", (I hesitate to say weakness because there isn't a glaring deficiency). Beechwood would have issues with Belfry's quickness on Defense and Belfry's exceptional LB's. Belfry's Offensive size would give the Tigers fits and Belfry's mix of running styles would be hard for the Tigers to defend.

Got a chance to see Huntington when JC scrimmaged them at their place. Albeit a scrimmage, JC just won 14-7. Point: Huntington is a very very good team. Big, athletic, huge receivers that are fast and getting college attention, one of the most highly recruited linemen in the nation to go along with other recruited lineman (smaller schools), smash mouth defense with ability to cover man to man on corners.

I have not seen Boyle or Corbin and simply go off what I read, but I would guess those fans have not seen Huntington either. It would be hard for me to imagine that any of the aforementioned teams has played an opponent better than Huntington. As good? Perhaps, but not better. I was shocked to see Belfry up so big on them early in the first half and less surprised to see the Highlanders make a comeback. Huntington is good enough to give Martinsburg a run for their money this year although I do think they will finish runner-up.

I think people are sleeping on Belfry a bit. They are still very capable of winning it all. Until someone in KY/3A beats them, the Pirates should still be top dog in my opinion.

Corbin would have to play mistake free football while keeping the ball away from the Pirate offense to be able to beat Belfry. Corbin has not shown the ability to do this so far, averaging about 2 turnovers and 10 penalties per game.

Belfry has a lot larger margin of error than Corbin does.

As I said, all about Matchups

What Beechwood does well plays perfectly into Belfry's strengths. Belfry is better suited for Beechwood's offensive style and personnel more than a Huntington or Johnson Central that can neutralize Belfry's front 7 with their shear size and then have explosive playmakers outside who can bust the big play. Davis and Castleman are very good backs, but neither are what I would consider elite athletes. Burch is a fantastic and accurate QB but he isn't going to hurt you with his feet.

What Belfry does best is a tougher matchup for Beechwood's "weaknesses", (I hesitate to say weakness because there isn't a glaring deficiency). Beechwood would have issues with Belfry's quickness on Defense and Belfry's exceptional LB's. Belfry's Offensive size would give the Tigers fits and Belfry's mix of running styles would be hard for the Tigers to defend.

AtlCat, I am very impressed that you have such in depth observations. With such geographic diversity, have you seen these teams in person, or are you watching films? If films, can you give me your source...Hudl? This old, out-of-touch guy wants to see some of these elite teams without driving a zillion miles.

AtlCat, I am very impressed that you have such in depth observations. With such geographic diversity, have you seen these teams in person, or are you watching films? If films, can you give me your source...Hudl? This old, out-of-touch guy wants to see some of these elite teams without driving a zillion miles.

Sent you a PM with some of the resources I like using :thumb: