Best All-Around Player on the Planet???

Unless I'm overlooking some all-world player from Afghanistan or Madagascar, the best all-around baller on this planet right now is Kawhi Leonard. Offense, defense, free throws, clutch, he can do it all. Admittedly, I am a bit biased because I like the Spurs but this guy is just flat-out crazy good. He has sliced and diced the Grizzlies in two playoff games to the tune of 69 points on 20 of 28 FG and 28 of 28 from the charity stripe. Last night, he scored 37 points on just 14 shots and made 19-19 from the line. Add the fact that he is probably the best all around defender in the League and I make my case that Kawhi is the game's best all-around player. I know Russ puts up big numbers and has his triple doubles and Lebron is Lebron, but for my money Kawhi is the best all-around.

Anyone agree? Anyone take exceptions?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure I'd go that far. He's darn good though.

LeBron is still probably the best overall.

Then you've got a group of Russ, KD, Leonard, AD, and the Greek Freak.

Towns is probably going to enter that conversation in the next year or two as well.

LeBron is the greatest player on the planet and it isn't close.

Kawhi is overrated IMO.

I agree with LeBron being the best but I don't with Leonard. He is in the discussion for top players. I still see him below a few others but in the discussion.

Leonard is making a really good case for himself lately. People forget the impact Lebron has because he's been doing it for years...but little things like drawing help to give his teammates open shots, calling out screens seconds before they happen, having a photographic memory in terms of player moves. These are things that simply cannot be matched by anybody in today's league.

Now, in 4-5 years, I could easily see Kawhi being considered the "next generation's Lebron," just as I consider Lebron to be my generation's Jordan.

LeBron is the greatest player on the planet and it isn't close.

Kawhi is overrated IMO.

As I said above, I guess I'm biased but I really like his all-around game. In what ways do you think he may be overhyped? Like all great players, he makes it look so silky smooth and effortless. He excels on both ends of the floor and does it with great fluidity.

For all of the talk about Kawhi being a great defender I have never seen him shut anyone down. People score on him all of the time. People act like just because he appears to try on defense that he is a top notch defender. Until proven otherwise he'll always be a system player to me. I think he is better offensively than he is defensively and now that he is the Spurs #1 option on offense he does less on the defensive end.

If I needed to get one stop on defense I'd pick Draymond Green over anyone to get that stop. After that LeBron and then after that Kawhi/Jimmy Butler.

For all of the talk about Kawhi being a great defender I have never seen him shut anyone down. People score on him all of the time. People act like just because he appears to try on defense that he is a top notch defender. Until proven otherwise he'll always be a system player to me. I think he is better offensively than he is defensively and now that he is the Spurs #1 option on offense he does less on the defensive end.

If I needed to get one stop on defense I'd pick Draymond Green over anyone to get that stop. After that LeBron and then after that Kawhi/Jimmy Butler.

Khawi is the only player on the planet to out play Lebron heads up in a NBA finals. To call him overrated is one of your hot takes. The way he improved his jumper this year builds his case.

With that said Lebron is the best player but Kwahi might have something to say before these playoffs are over.

Also today no way I take Lebron on defense over Kwahi.

Khawi is the only player on the planet to out play Lebron heads up in a NBA finals. To call him overrated is one of your hot takes. The way he improved his jumper this year builds his case.

With that said Lebron is the best player but Kwahi might have something to say before these playoffs are over.

Also today no way I take Lebron on defense over Kwahi.

Guys I'd definitely take over Kawhi today:

LeBron

Steph

Russ

James

Jimmy B

John Wall

If I need one stop on defense I'm taking Draymond and LeBron over Kawhi. Call it a hot take all you want but LeBron and Draymond can guard all 5 positions. Kawhi can only guard 4.

Biggest play from LeBron last year to win the finals was a defensive play. He's the best player on the planet for a reason.

Kawhi had an amazing Finals that season but like I said to me he is a system player. I'm not falling for this Spurs best player hype train anymore than I fell for it when Timmy was in town. Kawhi will never be better than LeBron(already one of the top 5 players to ever play the game) and Timmy will never be better than Kobe. #systemplayers

Guys I'd definitely take over Kawhi today:

LeBron

Steph

Russ

James

Jimmy B

John Wall

If I need one stop on defense I'm taking Draymond and LeBron over Kawhi. Call it a hot take all you want but LeBron and Draymond can guard all 5 positions. Kawhi can only guard 4.

Biggest play from LeBron last year to win the finals was a defensive play. He's the best player on the planet for a reason.

Kawhi had an amazing Finals that season but like I said to me he is a system player. I'm not falling for this Spurs best player hype train anymore than I fell for it when Timmy was in town. Kawhi will never be better than LeBron(already one of the top 5 players to ever play the game) and Timmy will never be better than Kobe. #systemplayers

No brainer Duncan is a better player than Kobe. #Kobesux .

I find it a little funny you call Kwahi overrated and hype Draymond. One guy is his teams best player and the other is a role player.

No brainer Duncan is a better player than Kobe. #Kobesux .

I find it a little funny you call Kwahi overrated and hype Draymond. One guy is his teams best player and the other is a role player.

All I've said is that Draymond is a better defender than Kawhi. I never once said he was a better overall player than Kawhi.

All I've said is that Draymond is a better defender than Kawhi. I never once said he was a better overall player than Kawhi.

Draymond isn't a better on ball defender than Kwahi. Draymond is the one who plays more help.

Also I never said Kwahi was the best. But Kwahi and Durant could both take the mantle this year or Lebron could solidify his claim. As of today it is Lebron. But I hold the right to change my mind after the playoffs.

Also putting Butler on the list with the other guys is crazy. Butler is not better than Kwahi. That isn't even debatable.