Has Kentucky started to show that the one and done isn't the way?

newarkcatholicfan

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like any method I think it's showing that you're not going to be great every year in college basketball. The returns have been the same as Louisville a largely 3-4 year program and Duke a team that mixes 3-4 year guys with a couple 1 and dones.

Frustrating that talented guys can't get it done, but it's really no different than any other good team. Some years you can compete for a title, some years you don't have enough. UK is bringing in guys that it seems like they'll always have a shot, and most years they do, but it's almost always an unknown. The 38-1 team was the exception and not the rule.

No I don't think so, Duke won last year with one and done team. It does show what other coaches have been saying for years, That it's much harder than UK has made it look the last few years.

This team has a huge hole at the "4" and is made of guys that want to score, but not defend at a high level.

One good thing about one and done players, if it doesn't work out...new team next year :D

Just asking not judging.

I've said it for a few years now.

You have to get really lucky with a few very mature players for it to be successful. You can't win it all on talent alone.

Ive always had a problem with the one and dones because they come in here with only one purpose and that is to build their stats for the scouts at the next level. They don't care about anything else. I'm tired of the one and done and tired of Cal's excuse making because he can't coach them.

I think it's too early to make that judgment on this season.

Looking at the record it seems to have worked well.

Has everyone forgotten what the program looked like the four years prior to Cal?

Here's the record:

2010 Final Eight and Overall #1 seed

2011 Final Four as a #4 Seed

2012 National Championship

2013 NIT First Round loser. (Harrow was not the intended PG of that team)

2014 NCAA Runner-Up as a #8 Seed

2015 38-1 and Final Four

2016 Round of 32 loser as a #4 Seed.

Compare this to 2006 to 2009:

2006 Round of 32 loser as a #8 Seed.

2007 Round of 32 lose as a #8 Seed.

2008 First Round Loser as a #11 Seed.

2009 NIT Second Round Loser

I'm as disgusted as the next guy but let's get a real perspective here. These Teams were close to winning it in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015. They won it in 2012.

Duke won it in 2010 but it was not with the "one and dones." That was in 2015. Can KY win it again soon? Surely. But remember the Cats had been 13 years since they went to the Final Four until 2011.

Every year the Cats are in the conversation. Only a handful of programs can say that since 2010.

I want to win as much as the next guy but to say the strategy doesn't work is wrong IMO.

I've said it for a few years now.

You have to get really lucky with a few very mature players for it to be successful. You can't win it all on talent alone.

Ive always had a problem with the one and dones because they come in here with only one purpose and that is to build their stats for the scouts at the next level. They don't care about anything else. I'm tired of the one and done and tired of Cal's excuse making because he can't coach them.

Who was the veteran that saved Duke in 2015? That's right, they didn't have one.

Has everyone forgotten what the program looked like the four years prior to Cal?

Here's the record:

2015 38-1 and Final Four

I'm as disgusted as the next guy but let's get a real perspective here. These Teams were close to winning it in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015. They won it in 2012.

Duke won it in 2010 but it was not with the "one and dones." That was in 2015. Can KY win it again soon? Surely. But remember the Cats had been 13 years since they went to the Final Four until 2011.

Every year the Cats are in the conversation. Only a handful of programs can say that since 2010.

I want to win as much as the next guy but to say the strategy doesn't work is wrong IMO.

How many national championships does UK have with the one and dones? You can talk about sweet 16's or elite 8's or final 4's till your blue in the face. No one cares about that at all. Shoot 2 years after the fact, the majority of people couldn't even name all the final 4 teams.

UK has 1 title with one and dones. That is the same number that 6 other teams has in the same time frame who aren't all about the one and done. So I say one and done isn't getting it done. You can toss Duke in there for their one title if you want but that is 1 year.

Who was the veteran that saved Duke in 2015? That's right, they didn't have one.

Like I said in my post that you chose to ignore. You can't win with one and dones unless they have the maturity to play as a team. You named 1 team, what about the other teams from 2010-2016 other than UK's 2012 team? You have 5 teams that weren't full of one and dones that won the title. If one and dones were the answer then the ratio would be switched. One and dones does not work the majority of the time.

Just look at this year. Duke and UK came in 1 and 2 loaded with one and dones and look at them now. One and dones just don't work like some would like you to think.

BTW Plumlee (jr) was a pretty big part of that team starting 36 games and avg'ing 31 mins a game ...oh and Quinn Cook (sr) started all their games as a senior that year as well averaging 36 mins a game.

Although there has only been one title, it would be absurd to argue that Calipari has been anything other than extremely successful. He's shown you can have really good teams every year, but two things lead to annual frustration.

1) Expectations - when you're ranked number one every year, it's going to seem like a failure when you don't finish number one.

2) Panic - because there is a new team every year, fans are going to panic when things go wrong because this is the only chance a whole group of guys have to make any noise. Next year is always going to bring the unknown.

Personally, I love following a team where I get to see improvement from the majority of the players from year to year, but there's no reason to doubt that one and done can work because it has in the past.

Here's the record:

2015 38-1 and Final Four

I will take what Cal has done over the previous years before him.

Some of you say he has only won 1 championship. It is tough to win one that is why you don't see repeat champions. But UK has been in the hunt more years than not with Cal.