Kentucky Cheerleading

Jumper_Dad

The entire staff has been fired after a three month investigation. Hazing, underage drinking, public nudity along with other undisclosed issues have came out during the investigation, evidently coaches knew of and evidently participated in some of the conduct.

UK Cheerleaders have won 24 National Titles since 1985.

From UK...

Coaches knew or reasonably should have known of inappropriate conduct by cheerleaders and failed to take sufficient steps to address the conduct;

During a team retreat at Lake Cumberland, some cheerleaders performed gymnastics routines that including hurling their teammates from a dock into the water while either topless or bottomless. The routines, known as “basket tosses,” were done at the direction of other members of the squad and within the view of at least some of the coaches;

Coaches allowed cheerleading alumni to bring boats and alcohol to the retreat, where some cheerleaders were partially naked and/or drinking while riding on boats;

Coaches did not confiscate alcohol brought to the retreat by some squad members or intervene to stop students from consuming alcohol. Several squad members became so intoxicated they required medical treatment; and

During a cheerleading camp in Tennessee, some cheerleaders were directed by other members of the squad to perform lewd chants and wear outfits that did not include underwear.

The investigation found no evidence of sexual assault or sexual misconduct during these trips.

Sounds like college kids being college kids. I understand why they had to let them go, but in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a huge deal. No allegations of underage drinking, no drug use, no reports of sexual assault or harassment. Doesn’t really amount to much. College kids drinking, taking their tops off, and having sex. Not exactly breaking news.

Sounds like college kids being college kids. I understand why they had to let them go, but in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a huge deal. No allegations of underage drinking, no drug use, no reports of sexual assault or harassment. Doesn’t really amount to much. College kids drinking, taking their tops off, and having sex. Not exactly breaking news.

For the most part, I agree. However, the fact that coaches were involved/aware of what was going on and didn't intervene is the part I have an issue with, and why UK was correct in letting them go. Especially if some team members require medical treatment as a result of the partying. I know this sort of thing happens, but you can't have the coaches being involved or not intervening when they became aware.

Is there confirmation that all the cheerleaders are 21 and up?

Is there confirmation that all the cheerleaders are 21 and up?

I feel like underage drinking would have been one of the first things talked about if it was present. Considering the seriousness or lackthereof from the other issues at play, I feel like they would have made it a point to tell us about underage drinking if it happened.

For the most part, I agree. However, the fact that coaches were involved/aware of what was going on and didn't intervene is the part I have an issue with, and why UK was correct in letting them go. Especially if some team members require medical treatment as a result of the partying. I know this sort of thing happens, but you can't have the coaches being involved or not intervening when they became aware.

If you think Coach Cal doesn’t know about the partying the basketball players do, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I feel like underage drinking would have been one of the first things talked about if it was present. Considering the seriousness or lackthereof from the other issues at play, I feel like they would have made it a point to tell us about underage drinking if it happened.

I don't know, I figured it was an understood point that obviously one of the "crimes" here was underage drinking.

If you think Coach Cal doesn’t know about the partying the basketball players do, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

If Coach Cal is letting the players party while on the road, or partying with them or allowing alumni to host partys for the players on their boats, he should probably go too. I'm not naive enough to think that Cal thinks all his guys aren't partying. Of course he know his players are going to party. But I can guarantee that Cal isn't allowing what was happening with the cheerleaders, and would quickly snuff that sort of behavior out. Knowing they are doing it and encouraging it are two different things.

I don't know, I figured it was an understood point that obviously one of the "crimes" here was underage drinking.

I would have to think there was underage drinking involved. I would find it hard to believe, the upperclassman on the team would have closed the doors to the party to the underclassman who were underage.