Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Cheerleading

Featured Replies

We definitely would agree to disagree then. It’s definitely more than half as you say, and would say the majority.

 

Doesn't have to be half for it to still be a lot. We are talking millions of college students in the country. I'd say somewhere around 20-30% probably do more than drink, may be on the lower end.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about therapeutic doses of prescription pills? So much more common than people realize, especially in college.

 

Not much experience with them so I can’t say much. They weren’t that mainstream when I was a teen.

 

I foolishly tried many pills as a young man but luckily, they never took with me.

 

I suppose I still assume the average college age kid is still drinking a little more than they should and getting high. Maybe I’m naive?

Over time facts will come out, maybe photos or interviews etc. I hate that those involved are called "kids" they're not. With that said. For most of them, mom, dad and the family aren't going to be too disappointed in them for drinking at the lake like they did back in the day. Admitting to that isn't a big deal and in doing so they're acknowledging it's not COMPLETELY bull crap, just maybe blown out of proportion.

Beyond that is where it gets dicey.

I’m not saying it didn’t happen, I’m saying the hazing allegations and topless basket tosses into the lake didn’t happen.

I can’t believe that UK or any university for that matter would cut several coaches loose over “garbage allegations”. To invitate a class action suit over nothing is nonsensical.

The coaches were around them drinking. That’s indisputable and the cheerleaders themselves admitted that. The hazing and sexual activities accusations are completely garbage. I firmly believe this.

Read an article that said there were male and female cheerleaders and coaches there, and this retreat has happened for at least 3 years.

I’m sure underage drinking was going on, and I’m not sure, but I don’t believe UK considers cheerleading a “sport” so I’m sure some of them were smoking if random drug tests weren’t being administered.

 

Believe I read that one of the outcomes of this investigation is that the cheerleading program will now be under athletic department supervision.

 

If one assumes cheerleading is now a "minor" sport, what do you think of flying the squad all over the country for games and competitions? Should they just compete locally and travel by bus? UK has been underwriting cheerleading for quite a while now. Do they produce revenue? Based on your premise from the thread you started, the school should stop funding and support of the cheer squad, right?

  • Author
Read an article that said there were male and female cheerleaders and coaches there, and this retreat has happened for at least 3 years.

 

This retreat has happened much longer than 3 years. Probably closer to 20 years, from my understanding.

I think it is a huge deal, we send our children to college to be "educated" and the college employees looking out for the students were complicit in their criminal activity and created a hazing situation where the students were expected/encouraged to get naked in front of their coaches.

Agree. I understand that some of the employees are close in age to the students and even become good friends. But you just can’t, and think it’s ok. Not a good look.

I tell my college kids to “make good choices.” Someone needs to tell the coaches to do the same.

Doesn't have to be half for it to still be a lot. We are talking millions of college students in the country. I'd say somewhere around 20-30% probably do more than drink, may be on the lower end.

 

No where in my responses was I talking about drugs. My response was about the drinking they were doing, and how the majority of college students do similar things like that.

 

However, I agree with your percentages on ones who may do more than drink.

The coaches were around them drinking. That’s indisputable and the cheerleaders themselves admitted that. The hazing and sexual activities accusations are completely garbage. I firmly believe this.

 

I would be willing to bet there is even more that UK found out, that we may not even know about. Since, I doubt they would fire the whole staff of the most dominant programs in all college athletics over just garbage accusations as you say. So there probably does have to be something credible to it, or possibly even more to it. To where UK is just trying to get in front of this, and get their own story of it out there. To prevent possibly a far worst story of what was really going on from leaking out.

 

I just don’t see them firing literally the whole staff of such a dominant program, over something that is just a garbage accusation.

I would be willing to bet there is even more that UK found out, that we may not even know about. Since, I doubt they would fire the whole staff of the most dominant programs in all college athletics over just garbage accusations as you say. So there probably does have to be something credible to it, or possibly even more to it. To where UK is just trying to get in front of this, and get their own story of it out there. To prevent possibly a far worst story of what was really going on from leaking out.

 

I just don’t see them firing literally the whole staff of such a dominant program, over something that is just a garbage accusation.

 

Especially if this was just a “disgruntled mom” or just “drama” related. If this drama is as common as people have said in this thread, then considering UK’s status in the cheerleading world, they’ve undoubtedly encountered plenty of unhappy moms who’s cheerleader didn’t make the cut and wanted to take down those who wronged her little girl. UK doesn’t blow up what is likely their most successful program outside of basketball simply to appease one upset parent. Way too much smoke for there not to be a pretty big fire somewhere.

I would say this is more serious and damaging then we are being led to believe. I have to suspect UK is burying Info to protect young Students that were and are involved. My guess we will never know. If not One coach comes forward to cry Foul then it probably was in their own best interests to just walk away quietly. For UK to turn this over to the Athletic Dept tells me that order needed to be restored and restored fast. Meet Sandy Bell!

I’m not saying it didn’t happen, I’m saying the hazing allegations and topless basket tosses into the lake didn’t happen.

 

You were there?

Several people keep speculating that this stems from a disgruntled mom whose daughter didn't make the squad. First, I don't see any evidence to support that. Secondly, there are as many male cheerleaders on the squad as there are female, so why a daughter and not a son?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.