Kentucky Cheerleading

Jumper_Dad

Several people keep speculating that this stems from a disgruntled mom whose daughter didn't make the squad. First, I don't see any evidence to support that. Secondly, there are as many male cheerleaders on the squad as there are female, so why a daughter and not a son?

My speculations are based off of tweets from cheerleaders and former cheerleaders that my daughter read. Hence the speculation it was a female because they specifically mentioned it was.

Believe I read that one of the outcomes of this investigation is that the cheerleading program will now be under athletic department supervision.

If one assumes cheerleading is now a "minor" sport, what do you think of flying the squad all over the country for games and competitions? Should they just compete locally and travel by bus? UK has been underwriting cheerleading for quite a while now. Do they produce revenue? Based on your premise from the thread you started, the school should stop funding and support of the cheer squad, right?

Yes....

Several people keep speculating that this stems from a disgruntled mom whose daughter didn't make the squad. First, I don't see any evidence to support that. Secondly, there are as many male cheerleaders on the squad as there are female, so why a daughter and not a son?

There are a lot of articles out there. This one strongly suggests that it was a mom. IMO, the mother of a girl would report this before the mother of a boy would, but it certainly could have been either. Regardless, I bet whichever cheerleader whose female relative reported this is getting a different kind of hazing now.

Details of the investigation into UK Cheerleading hazing, alcohol use and public nudity | Kentucky Sports Radio

I would be willing to bet there is even more that UK found out, that we may not even know about. Since, I doubt they would fire the whole staff of the most dominant programs in all college athletics over just garbage accusations as you say. So there probably does have to be something credible to it, or possibly even more to it. To where UK is just trying to get in front of this, and get their own story of it out there. To prevent possibly a far worst story of what was really going on from leaking out.

I just don’t see them firing literally the whole staff of such a dominant program, over something that is just a garbage accusation.

I think it was bad information. If the information in the report were true it’s easy to understand why the fired them. From the sources I have the stuff about hazing and nude basket tosses and everything else of sexual nature is patently false. I believe my sources, but I also understand why everyone else on here feels the way they do.

I have talked to 5 people who were there.

Were they taking part in the on goings or just sight seeing? Are you speaking with a group of five people or five different people? If five different people are their reports matching?

Believe I read that one of the outcomes of this investigation is that the cheerleading program will now be under athletic department supervision.

If one assumes cheerleading is now a "minor" sport, what do you think of flying the squad all over the country for games and competitions? Should they just compete locally and travel by bus? UK has been underwriting cheerleading for quite a while now. Do they produce revenue? Based on your premise from the thread you started, the school should stop funding and support of the cheer squad, right?

What would your solution be ?

Keep funding something that has never and will never produce any sort of return ?

I think it was bad information. If the information in the report were true it’s easy to understand why the fired them. From the sources I have the stuff about hazing and nude basket tosses and everything else of sexual nature is patently false. I believe my sources, but I also understand why everyone else on here feels the way they do.

Post #78 has an article, that shows some members and coaches admitting to a few of these things, and also seeing some of it.

If what has been alleged is true, they probably wouldn’t tell you.

None of them are on the team anymore. They’ve all graduated. I believe them. I’m not saying you all should because you have no reason to believe them.

Were they taking part in the on goings or just sight seeing? Are you speaking with a group of five people or five different people? If five different people are their reports matching?

5 different former cheerleaders at UK. Their stories matched. I’m not super close with them, but their stories matched. They all said alcohol was present, but denied anything of sexual nature and hazing. I’m not oblivious to the fact that they could have collaborated their stories though.

I talked to a UK student who knows some of the cheerleaders. She said that it was a mother of one of the female cheerleaders who complained and that this mom has caused trouble in the past. The cheerleaders think this was blown all out of proportion and are very upset about losing their coaches. Third hand info I realize FWIW.