Kentucky Cheerleading

Jumper_Dad

Eww... I would find it inappropriate and cringy for my daughter/son to be nude in front of a coach in these circumstances.

This. And that's why this is news. I get the idea that it's "college kids being college kids". The involvement/lack of action on the coaches part is why this is an issue. This is a line coaches shouldn't cross.

If you think Coach Cal doesn’t know about the partying the basketball players do, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

He may claim he has no clue what's going on but I bet you he makes sure the University's maintenance Dept greases the revolving door at the Wildcat Lodge at least once a week. It's still hard to comprehend that the Coaches were present when this Garbage was taking place.

He may claim he has no clue what's going on but I bet you he makes sure the University's maintenance Dept greases the revolving door at the Wildcat Lodge at least once a week. It's still hard to comprehend that the Coaches were present when this Garbage was taking place.

I will say this, the garbage that you say was taking place, is something that basically all college age kids are or have taken part in. However, as you mentioned the coaches being there and allowing it while basically on a team trip is the issue. You can’t be a coach and allow it to happen, especially in front of you on a team organized trip.

It’s one thing to know your college players are probably going to party somewhere, when you are not around. It’s another for them to actually be there and see it and do nothing.

Quite honestly I am impressed that the administration took the right step to get ahead of it and fire them. With them being the best program in the land, I think some programs may have tried to hide it and just talk to their coaches to now allow that anymore. Instead they did the right thing, even though doing it, would create a news story about the events.

I will say this, the garbage that you say was taking place, is something that basically all college age kids are or have taken part in. However, as you mentioned the coaches being there and allowing it while basically on a team trip is the issue. You can’t be a coach and allow it to happen, especially in front of you on a team organized trip.

It’s one thing to know your college players are probably going to party somewhere, when you are not around. It’s another for them to actually be there and see it and do nothing.

Quite honestly I am impressed that the administration took the right step to get ahead of it and fire them. With them being the best program in the land, I think some programs may have tried to hide it and just talk to their coaches to now allow that anymore. Instead they did the right thing, even though doing it, would create a news story about the events.

This.

I don't know, I figured it was an understood point that obviously one of the "crimes" here was underage drinking.

That would be the only crime actually committed though. The reason the coaching staff was fired was because they shouldn’t have been there because the cheerleaders and staff are representatives of the school. If underage drinking was taking place in front of the coaches I feel like that would have been the headline.

If Coach Cal is letting the players party while on the road, or partying with them or allowing alumni to host partys for the players on their boats, he should probably go too. I'm not naive enough to think that Cal thinks all his guys aren't partying. Of course he know his players are going to party. But I can guarantee that Cal isn't allowing what was happening with the cheerleaders, and would quickly snuff that sort of behavior out. Knowing they are doing it and encouraging it are two different things.

I’m not sure the article said they were encouraging it. As a somewhat recent graduate of UK who had the pleasure of going to parties with some basketball players, I can guarantee you the basketball players are doing way worse things than this on a weekly basis. Like for Gods sake, I picture of one of the basketball players genitalia circled around the entire campus when I was there. Literally everyone had the picture and everyone knew about it and nothing was done. It’s college kids being college kids.

That would be the only crime actually committed though. The reason the coaching staff was fired was because they shouldn’t have been there because the cheerleaders and staff are representatives of the school. If underage drinking was taking place in front of the coaches I feel like that would have been the headline.

I think the headline is Kentucky Cheerleading Coaches do wrong, the University of Kentucky kicks them to the curb, period.

I know many of you know this but young kids are all about alcohol, cannabis, nicotine, adderall, and sometimes mushrooms. In other words it isn't much of a story.

As far as the underage drinking, the UK cheerleading team is pretty large so it’s divided up amongst A and B squads. Essentially the underclassmen and the upperclassmen. You can identify them by the color uniform they wear at games. A wears white, B wears Blue. The B team doesn’t get to participate in a lot of the stuff that A team does i.e. road trips. So it’s definitely entirely possible that it was just the A squad on the Cumberland trip mentioned.

I think the headline is Kentucky Cheerleading Coaches do wrong, the University of Kentucky kicks them to the curb, period.

I know many of you know this but young kids are all about alcohol, cannabis, nicotine, adderall, and sometimes mushrooms. In other words it isn't much of a story.

Yes they were wrong. Of course they were wrong. Personally, nothing in that article struck me as a big headline though. I respect the school for doing what they did, but I don’t know if I would have let them go. I know thats a controversial opinion, but the actions that took place don’t really strike me as anything out of ordinary. The coaches just should have been smart enough to not be there.

Sounds like college kids being college kids. I understand why they had to let them go, but in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a huge deal. No allegations of underage drinking, no drug use, no reports of sexual assault or harassment. Doesn’t really amount to much. College kids drinking, taking their tops off, and having sex. Not exactly breaking news.

Yeah, this was like a typical Wednesday night when I was in school. Lol

Yes they were wrong. Of course they were wrong. Personally, nothing in that article struck me as a big headline though. I respect the school for doing what they did, but I don’t know if I would have let them go. I know thats a controversial opinion, but the actions that took place don’t really strike me as anything out of ordinary. The coaches just should have been smart enough to not be there.

I think it is a huge deal, we send our children to college to be "educated" and the college employees looking out for the students were complicit in their criminal activity and created a hazing situation where the students were expected/encouraged to get naked in front of their coaches.

There were apparently allegations of sexual misconduct that were found to be "without merit" when they could not be corroborated, according to the USA Today article this morning.

If I were put on my "The-Institution-Is-Protecting-Itself-First" conspiracy theory hat, then I'd say this internal investigation found just enough to fire the coaches they needed to fire without finding enough to make the university itself liable for anything.

There were apparently allegations of sexual misconduct that were found to be "without merit" when they could not be corroborated, according to the USA Today article this morning.

If I were put on my "The-Institution-Is-Protecting-Itself-First" conspiracy theory hat, then I'd say this internal investigation found just enough to fire the coaches they needed to fire without finding enough to make the university itself liable for anything.

To me, some sort of sexual component was obviously at play here too.

My daughter is a HS Cheer Coach. She is hearing from other sources that the "dime was dropped" by a disgruntled mother whose child didn't make the cut for the team. Supposedly the "Basket Toss" was from cheerleaders in their bikinis and not nudity.

Take that for whatever it may be worth. Not excusing. Just throwing a rumor out there.

I discovered long ago that Cheerleader Drama was some of the worst Drama anywhere.

It's the crack down on hazing that Greeks have been experiencing for years. Often times it doesn't seem like its really that bad or not a big deal but if Administration get wind of it, they often times crack the whip hard on the Greek organizations. Administration doesn't like that slippery hazing slope. Was only a matter of time until they started paying more and more attention to their student athletes too.