Notre Dame Cathedral on fire!

CincySportsFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire is evidently older than I thought. They're saying a "small fire" was reported around 11:30am (EDT).

Mind boggling that no water has been put on it. I realize that there's a ton of tourists typically around there...but, still...2 1/2 hours later and still nothing?

Watching news now. Looks like main structure in middle is gone and just metal scaffolding remaining.

All the priceless artwork......just awful.

The spire collapsed as well.

I'm heartbroken. Around 800 years of history gone forever.

Absolutely irreplaceable. Luckily it doesn't appear there are going to be any significant injuries, but the world has lost a cultural treasure forever, and that makes me a little sad. A piece of the world is gone that can never come back.

Some of the elements -- like the spire -- are newer (about 150 years ago I think), but all that stained glass that's now blown out all over the sidewalk is eight centuries old. I don't even know if there's anyone alive who can remake those rose windows. I just hope the structural integrity of the walls holds and we don't start losing those and the buttresses.

Horrible! Like everyone else, waiting for more details.

Pure speculation right now...but the theory that I've heard the most is that it was related to the renovation work going on. Now, whether it's a shorted electric cord, a rag over paint thinner, etc....nothing that specific have I heard.