Notre Dame Cathedral on fire!

CincySportsFan

Pure speculation right now...but the theory that I've heard the most is that it was related to the renovation work going on. Now, whether it's a shorted electric cord, a rag over paint thinner, etc....nothing that specific have I heard.

Hoping that’s the case. Still horrific, people go to Paris for the tower and the Cathedral.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you insurance guys, how would casualty insurance coverage work in a situation like this? This might be the oddball case where the present day value exceeds the cost of replacement. How do you establish the present value of such an edifice? Seems to me it would be astronomical. Maybe the policy addresses this.

That sacred building survived the Black Death, viking attacks, the Anglo-French Wars, the Napoleonic Wars, the French Revolution, World War I, World War II....and it's brought to the ground by construction workers.

I hope they never identify whoever is responsible. Poor guy will never be the same.

I once toured a Cathedral in Cologne Germany. The leader of the tour told us that the reason it survived the World Wars was because enemy pilots used it as a landmark to bomb other things. Thought that was an interesting fact.

I had the privilege of also touring Notre Dame twice. Hard to believe the amount of history that is gone forever.

All you insurance guys, how would casualty insurance coverage work in a situation like this? This might be the oddball case where the present day value exceeds the cost of replacement. How do you establish the present value of such an edifice? Seems to me it would be astronomical. Maybe the policy addresses this.

The way the policy is written I’m sure everything was insured at a scheduled value that gets re-appraised pretty regularly.

Reports saying that firefighters have contained much of the blaze and the iconic western edifice with the bell towers is safe.

I'm no fireman but I'm curious if there's strategy to putting out fires in historic buildings? Obviously you want the fire gone but if you just start spraying you might do more damage. Anybody have an answer for that?

I'm no fireman but I'm curious if there's strategy to putting out fires in historic buildings? Obviously you want the fire gone but if you just start spraying you might do more damage. Anybody have an answer for that?

You put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

Well there were questions about air-dropping water because of the height of the fire, but with the flying buttressed design of the cathedral roof, dropping large volumes of water that way would have put a major risk for collapsing much more of the structure.

I've read in multiple places now that all of the religious relics, and the majority of the art and statues were removed for the construction, so I'm very glad for that.

As a UNESCO world heritage site, there will be a lot of money readily available to rebuild and restore it as quickly as possible. Apparently a French billionaire has already offered up €100,000,000 for the reconstruction.

I've read in multiple places now that all of the religious relics, and the majority of the art and statues were removed for the construction, so I'm very glad for that.

As a UNESCO world heritage site, there will be a lot of money readily available to rebuild and restore it as quickly as possible. Apparently a French billionaire has already offered up €100,000,000 for the reconstruction.

It's kinda sad that it takes something like this for people to step up. I read yesterday that the cathedral needed over $185mil in repairs, and they've only been able to raise $50mil.