Do Independent school districts have an unfair advantge of public and private schools

98NCCalum

I think we should make a classification, say 5A, for Independent school districts.

There is no way you can argue the fact that they do not have an unfair advaantage over Public School Districts and Private schools.

They have the freedom to accept a kid from anywhere and do not have to charge tuition, although most do, but very little bit.

Examples of some Independent High School Districts:

Ft. Thomas Independent (Highlands)

Beechwood Independent

Danville Independent

Ashland Independent

Bardstown Independent

Bellevue Independent

Corbin Independent

Elizabethtown Independent

Erlanger-Elsmere (Lloyd)

Fairview Independent

Glasgow Independent

Mayfield Independent

Middlesboro Independent

Owensboro Independent

Paducah Independent

Pikeville Independent

Russell Independent

Take a look at the schools in those districts, every state finalist this past weekend comes from an independent school district, EXCEPT Belfry. Trinity and St. X.

Now I ask you, doesn't it appear with that fact and all the State Championships the above schools have, which it is alot!!! Don't THEY really have this mythical advantage?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Well can you tell me how? I will change it?

Danville for instance can only have kids within the city limits. Anyone outside of those limits must pay unless they were grandfathered in from the past. Which is a very few.

I believe the Independents can have an edge if they choose to take advantage of it. The Private Schools are under a big microscope, while alot of the Independents fly under the radar with many of the same tactics. Keep in mind I grew up in an Independent District, and I would be interested to see where these schools finished in State Wide Testing as well. I know Highlands and Lloyd were near the Top at the HS Level.

Originally posted by 3wishes

Danville for instance can only have kids within the city limits. Anyone outside of those limits must pay unless they were grandfathered in from the past. Which is a very few.

Ok, irrelevant, they can still take a player from outside of Danville city limits, if they happened to be not from Boyle County.

Originally posted by 98NCCalum

Well can you tell me how? I will change it?

Not every independent school accepts students from outside of their district.

Plus, I can't think of a single school that would not charge a kid tuition if they did not receive the portion of state funding for that child.

Each school system, regardless of whether they are an independent or a county school sytem can accept students from other systems as long as they have a reciprocal agreement with that school system. I don't believe that being an independent school has anything to do with it.

Almost all of those schools mentioned are 2A and 1A. And you want to make them 5A. That is crazy. I'm not informed on the open enrollment thing, but that still doesn't change the fact that these schools have less than 900 students at them.

Private schools have open enrollment.