Who was the best Player from your High school ever???

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players from the 70's:

Henry Clay: James Lee (KY) Michael Scearce (Perdue)

Lafayette: Dirk Minnefield (Ky) Tony Wilson (Western)

Tates Creek: Dom Fucci (Auburn) Vince Taylor (Duke)

Bryan Station: Jack Givens (Ky) Melvin Turpin (Ky)

Somerset: Fothergill (Maryland)

Covington Holmes: Schlomer? (Cincy)

Shelby Co.: Charles Hurt (Ky) Maurice Way Norris Beckley

Woodford Co: Bo Lanter (Ky)

Lex Cath: Danny Haney (Eastern)

Owensboro: Kenny Higgs (LSU)

Male: Griffith and Turner (ville)

Lville Moore: Forest Manual

Laurel Co: GJ Smith

McCreary Co: Tim Stephens

Ballard: Jeff Lamp (Va) Raker? Jerry Eaves (Ville)

What about Jack Jennings, Dickie Beal, and Doug Schlomer, from the Covington Holmes Bulldogs. They were some great high school players!!!

What about Tom Herron from Holmes. I believe he held a lot of records until Beal broke them. I am way to young to have seen him play but I would say he played in probably the late 50's maybe earlier. Has anyone heard of him because I am of course just going off of what I have heard.

Tony Muncie? Man, are you dating yourself!!! Skip Johnson was one I should have thought about. Heard he was dominant in his day. Doesn't Kiser hold the school scoring record?

I'm not sure Kiser broke that or not, I remember it was some guy I'd never heard of at Estill that had the record. Course Long and Johnson have half their scoring at Irvine High or would be way up that list. Skipper Johnson in his day was a dominating center. I've also heard that Charlie Henry was awful tough for old Irvine High. I played against him later on in rec leagues when he was in his later 30's and 40's and still a heck of a player, could light it up from anywhere.

A couple of times.;)

I said that Richie was the 2nd best all time high school player in KY history and I'll stand by that. Want proof? Check out his Senior year state finals game against Ballard in which he poured in 53 (I think) points against a pretty fair player by the name of Allen Houston.

Who had the better all around career? Without a doubt it was Darrell Griffith.

Chadwell was 6'2, could jump out of the gym, shoot the three. I watched him dominate NAIA competition at Georgetown and played against both he and Farmer when they were at Clay...I wouldn't live on the difference...Farmer was great, but he was great because he had some great players with him as well. Heck Pelphrey and Feldhaus had better UK careers than Farmer and had less talent around them in high school. Not saying Farmer wasn't a great high school player, I was just saying Chadwell was right there with him.

The players around Farmer were helped a lot because everyone was worried about Farmer, especially the last couple of years of high school.

Farmer basically led two different Clay teams to the state tournament. He was a freshman in 85 with Pennington and Asher and company when Clay was state runner-up.

I cant beleive that I left off this guy from Cawood list Gary Grant he might take on some of these young guns today. Again not to cut on Blake, but he played for five years on the varsity and also had the three point shot, most of the players from the list did not play in the three point era, and only Cox played 4 years on the varsity.

I cant beleive that I left off this guy from Cawood list Gary Grant he might take on some of these young guns today. Again not to cut on Blake, but he played for five years on the varsity and also had the three point shot, most of the players from the list did not play in the three point era, and only Cox played 4 years on the varsity.

There's no telling how many Phil would have scored if he had the 3 pointer. Phil scored "quietly." By that I mean after the game you would think he had 18 or 20 and find out he had 38. He seldom missed a free throw....led the nation his jr and sr years at Vandy. Phil was FIRST team All SEC his jr and sr seasons....an acomplishment many big time pros cant claim!:thumb:

Grant was one of the best athletes in county history, but I don't believe he even played basketball part of his senior season and Cawood didn't get out of the district all four years.

Football was a much different story. Grant played quarterback as a senior but signed with West Virginia as a wide receiver.