Who was the best Player from your High school ever???

Blake scored around 2,700 points. There is now way he is outside of the top ten.

I'm not old enough to post a top ten of my opinion, but here is what I have gathered from everyone else.

Ahead of everyone:

Nick Sanford

Phil Cox

Next tier:

Blake Hubbs

Lynn Rhymer

Dave Parks

Boots Smallwood

Next tier:

Paul Hearld

Garry Henson

Everly Eads

David Hensley

Greg Coldiron

I'm sure I've left some out, but this seems to be a popular view.

I think your list is closer to mine, but you have to remember that Bayshore has been around a lot longer.

I think several on the third tier are a little better than some on the second tier. Coldiron probably should be ranked third all-time as an all-stater and Kentucky All-Star who went on to start at Morehead State.

Smallwood definitely belongs among the top 10. He was a horse inside and gave those great Harlan teams in the 90s all they wanted.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your list is closer to mine, but you have to remember that Bayshore has been around a lot longer.

I think several on the third tier are a little better than some on the second tier. Coldiron probably should be ranked third all-time as an all-stater and Kentucky All-Star who went on to start at Morehead State.

Smallwood definitely belongs among the top 10. He was a horse inside and gave those great Harlan teams in the 90s all they wanted.

I have had this discussion many times, with many different people. I've not heard much on Coldiron as a player, but I'm sure you're right.

I think it is safe to say that Sanford and Cox are at the top. Who is the better player between those two? Everyone I know says Sanford was better, but Cox should shoot from anywhere on the court.

Again, I'm too young to know! :thumb:

Talk about going back a ways, how about Buddy Goodwin from Silver Grove?

Corey Pelle was hands down, the best player to come out of the Grove. He led the entire Greater Cincinnati area in scoring at 29 ppg and was named the Enquirer Player of the Year. And before you knock the schedule, he did this against the All A champs and state leader in defense, Bishop Brossart (3 times). He is currently averaging 15 ppg for D 2 West Liberty College, who is 6-1. Pelle also leads the conference in steals and assists.

I have had this discussion many times, with many different people. I've not heard much on Coldiron as a player, but I'm sure you're right.

I think it is safe to say that Sanford and Cox are at the top. Who is the better player between those two? Everyone I know says Sanford was better, but Cox should shoot from anywhere on the court.

Again, I'm too young to know! :thumb:

I'll put my 2 cents in on this one. I'm not AS old as HDE, but here is what i've seen for a top 10:

Phil Cox

Nick Sanford

Greg Coldiron

Boots Smallwood

David Hensley

Paul Herald

Blake Hubbs

Everly Eads

Lonnie Huff

Garry Henson

I don't really remember much before Phil's senior year, but i'll throw Coach Coldiron in on word of mouth and the countless H.O.R.S.E games I played with him and Lonnie while in high school. They had battles. I would put Phil ahead of Nick as an overall ball player but it is very close. Would like to know where HDE stands on that one.

There are also three other players from Silver Grove that people are looking right over the top of. It is the McCarter family. Scott McCarter played in the late 70's and early 80's. I'm not sure of all his career totals but I do know that he ended up with over 1,000 career points. Son Chad McCarter played at the end of the 90's and the beginning of the 2000's. He had over 2,000 career points and was the all-time leading at Silver Grove until his brother passed him. He was one that was extremely hard to guard. If you over played him he would just go right by you. If you backed off of him he would just pull and hit a jumper with no problem. Brother Bryant McCarter played from 2000-2005. He came out as the schools all-time leading passing his brother during the 2005 season. He also had over 1,000 career rebounds and maybe closer to over 1,500 career rebounds. He was only 6'1'' and was one the most dominant post players in Northern Kentucky while he played. This trio of family members will go down as maybe the best family to ever play at the school of Silver Grove. This family will always be remembered for all of their accomplishments that they achieved.:thumb:

Corey Pelle was hands down, the best player to come out of the Grove. He led the entire Greater Cincinnati area in scoring at 29 ppg and was named the Enquirer Player of the Year. And before you knock the schedule, he did this against the All A champs and state leader in defense, Bishop Brossart (3 times). He is currently averaging 15 ppg for D 2 West Liberty College, who is 6-1. Pelle also leads the conference in steals and assists.

He was also the starting point guard on 2 conference championship teams. Is having a great college career so far. Was on their all freshman team last year in their conference. West Liberty got a STEAL!!!! Chad and Bryant McCarter were also great at that school. Ken Hedges was also a Great Player!! Believe he went to Northern. The Grove had some great teams in the late 70's.