Who was the best Player from your High school ever???

I never saw King Kelly Coleman - my father taught him at Wayland but the 15th Region had a set of brothers from Maytown - The Tallent Brothers, Bill played in North CArolina, Bob played at UK - then transfered to George Washington Univ., Mike - went to GWU under his brother Bob and then Pat - probably the best scorer - I saw him scores 75 points in one game could have beaten the "king's" record but didn't. He went on to play at GWU after turning down UK, LSU, UCLA, and others. All four ended up college all americans and have done very well in their fields of study.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Covington Catholic, I'd probably say Roger Tieman.

I never saw the Tieman boys or Randy Noll play, but I think Dave Rechtin deserves some recognition. I don't think that he was the best to ever play at CCH, but I think he's in the Top 5. IMO he and Schloemer were the two best players in the '78 class from the 9th Region and Rechtin deserved better than Bellarmine. If he had been a couple inches taller (6'-6" / 6'-7"), he probably would received some major offers. He was a tremendous athlete.

Didn't Clay Co. win the state championship the year after Richie graduated too. Wasn't Chadwell the best player on that team. I agree Richie's turnaround "J" for 3 from the top of the key was unstopable, but he didn't play a lick of defense. Chadwell, if Richie hadn't been a cult hero and light's out shooter, would have been talked about like Richie. Just ask the people in Clay Co and they'll tell you Russ was the reason they won so much. And MAN, COULD HE JUMP!!!

Clay won the title in '87, lost in '88, Richie's senior season. Wayne County won in '89.

Richie Farmer's name is synonymous with Kentucky High School Basketball period.

By far my favorite, they were in the Sweet 16 every year he played. I know they were my adopted team during that stretch, and I felt very bad for them when they lost in 1985 to HopTown.

Daniel Dillon, North Laurel

Wasn't he a Foreign Exchange?

Yes. On scholly at Arizona now.

Yeah, from Australia I believe.

This thread was started for the Best players in Kentucky high school basketball. Not for products of foreign countries.:fight:

Farmer couldn't hold Griffith's jock strap.

Just trying to get all the Ky boys riled up:D

This coming from someone who's idol's were beaten by The Fonz and Pinky Tuscedero and a blow dryer!:banana:

I remember a player from Cov.Cath. back in the late 60's, John VonLehman, dropped 40 some points on Lyons and company at the Fieldhouse and went on to a nice career at the University of Dayton. Thought he might be one of the best to come out of there.

While John was a very good player, he wasn't IMO as good as Noll or the Tiemans. In fact, I wouldn't even put John in the top ten of the all time greatest players from CovCath.

From his own time period at CovCath I always thought Noll, Voshukl, Cooper, Topmiller, Joe Fritz, Rippe and Derkson were better than John.